Topic Wiki

can we

Author Topic: Pesach Program Discussion Master Thread  (Read 204450 times)

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pesach Programs and False Advertising
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »
That's on Pesach!

"Rabbenu Tam who used egg matza on erev Pesach in order not to violate the prohibition of eating regular matza on erev Pesach. "

That’s the way the sfardim hold, the ashkenazim forbid it.

https://www.star-k.org/articles/articles/seasonal/357/the-busiest-day-of-the-year-the-laws-of-erev-pesach/

“Matzoh made with fruit juice, including Kosher for Passover egg matzohs, grape matzohs, chocolate matzohs and Passover Tam Tams, etc. may be eaten until the end of the 4th halachic hour (same as the latest time for eating chometz). The sick or elderly who cannot eat regular matzoh and have consulted with their rav may eat Pesach egg matzohs any time on Erev Pesach and Pesach. However, even such an individual can not fulfill the obligation of eating matzoh at the seder with these matzohs.”

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
That’s the way the sfardim hold, the ashkenazim forbid it.

https://www.star-k.org/articles/articles/seasonal/357/the-busiest-day-of-the-year-the-laws-of-erev-pesach/

“Matzoh made with fruit juice, including Kosher for Passover egg matzohs, grape matzohs, chocolate matzohs and Passover Tam Tams, etc. may be eaten until the end of the 4th halachic hour (same as the latest time for eating chometz). The sick or elderly who cannot eat regular matzoh and have consulted with their rav may eat Pesach egg matzohs any time on Erev Pesach and Pesach. However, even such an individual can not fulfill the obligation of eating matzoh at the seder with these matzohs.”
Good grief.
That picture was from breakfast on erev pesach. Source: We were there.

You really do need to take a DL"Z lesson. You owe many ehrliche yidden an apology.
Sad!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2018, 11:41:57 PM »
That's on pesach. What time on erev pesach was the pic?

Quoting from the article:

“A Jewish Insider reader shared a photo with us of Ivanka in ski gear filling up a plate of food while chatting on her cell phone a few hours before Monday night’s Seder.”

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2018, 11:43:16 PM »
Quoting from the article:

“A Jewish Insider reader shared a photo with us of Ivanka in ski gear filling up a plate of food while chatting on her cell phone a few hours before Monday night’s Seder.”
Actual #FakeNews
Lunch looked nothing like that. And they were on the slopes by lunch eating the bbq there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2018, 11:44:38 PM »
Good grief.
That picture was from breakfast on erev pesach. Source: We were there.

You really do need to take a DL"Z lesson.
Sad!

If the article inaccurately reported the photo as having been taken a few hours before the Seder, but was in reality taken at breakfast I stand corrected and should have been DL”Z...

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2018, 11:45:26 PM »

I wouldn't say those are the majority.

totally depends on the type of program.  definitely won't be the majority in the place you went to last year buy the more local less expensive places will have a lot more like that...

Honestly, I think some people's judgement are clouded by pre-conceived notions about these programs. They're not all perfect, but to lump every one together is asinine.

+1000

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2018, 11:45:31 PM »
Breakfast in PDT is a few hours before the Seder in EDT. Is this the first time you've encountered sloppy "journalism"?

No story here at all other than a failure to be DL"Z. The end.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:48:34 PM by Dan »

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2018, 11:49:41 PM »

And even for those ehrliche people that run programs, the motivation for arranging them is money, and not a sincere concern for people that can’t make their own Pesach.

definitely not a majority but there a nice amount of programs that our run by organizations to support their year round work

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:05 PM »
Breakfast in PDT is a few hours before the Seder in EDT.
The end. No story here at all other than a failure to be DL"Z.

Got it. If my comments can be deleted that would be appropriate considering  that they were not accurate.....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »

definitely not a majority but there a nice amount of programs that our run by organizations to support their year round work
Exactly what the Whistler program does, funds the shliach's needs for the year.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2018, 11:51:47 PM »
Got it. If my comments can be deleted that would be appropriate considering  that they were not accurate.....
I think they provide a valuable lesson in DL"Z and insight into preconceived notions that people have when it comes to these programs.

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2018, 12:00:44 AM »
I think they provide a valuable lesson in DL"Z and insight into preconceived notions that people have when it comes to these programs.

I sincerely hope that all other preconceived notions are as off base. Perhaps those who have been to these programs, especially wait staff/ mashgichim can enlighten us....

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2018, 12:04:57 AM »
I sincerely hope that all other preconceived notions are as off base. Perhaps those who have been to these programs, especially wait staff/ mashgichim can enlighten us....
its exactly what @dan said there's a huge variety of places and to draw conclusions of anyone place from another is silly and immature there are places that are prob serving treif and then there are places that may be more kosher than your kitchen

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2018, 12:09:53 AM »
its exactly what @dan said there's a huge variety of places and to draw conclusions of anyone place from another is silly and immature there are places that are prob serving treif and then there are places that may be more kosher than your kitchen
That's why either this thread is cleaned up, a wiki created, and the mods are on top of it.
Or...a new one is created with that intention.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2018, 12:10:10 AM »
and then there are places that may be more kosher than your kitchen
Lets not go overboard here.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »
If people eat gebrokts at home and not at the program, seems like a fair statement :D

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2018, 12:42:30 AM »

All you need to do is print the name of the certifying agency. If it’s reputable then it speaks for itself.

Many don't use agencies but they also don't use

fly by night, second tier "rabbonim", who all of a sudden have become professionals in the intricate details of catering a commercial pesach for for hundreds..

They use experienced and dedicated top tier rabbonim, who may not have public name recognition, so they want to explain that to you.

I did a quick Google image search and it seems that there are quite a few that write the hashgocha.

No hashgocha on this one, didn't check all the rest

Even among those who do mention some sort of kashrut oversight I don’t see separate swimming mentioned in any of the ads.

Umm maybe separate swimming is a given.
And gebrokts is a halachic concern.

Separate swimming should not be a given at a gebrokts program, where the crowd is often more MO. And should be inquired upon at all programs.
women's swimming should not be a given at any program at all. Many hotels don't have the setup for a possible mechitza
As an aside, if it does not say non gebrokts, it probably isn't.

+1
And @aygart, I actually heard from a very Ehrliche program director that he is more comfortable eating from the hotel kitchen than he was at home the one year he stayed home. Odd, I know, but true.

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
its exactly what @Dan said there's a huge variety of places and to draw conclusions of anyone place from another is silly and immature there are places that are prob serving treif and then there are places that may be more kosher than your kitchen

Here’s a description of just some of the moving parts when everything goes right in a pesach hotel program.

http://www.ok.org/consumers/passover/the-koshering-of-pesach-hotels/

Easy to see where even the best programs have situations that can compromise their standards in a way that you will never face in your kitchen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:06:54 AM by eyj »

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2018, 02:34:12 AM »

And @aygart, I actually heard from a very Ehrliche program director that he is more comfortable eating from the hotel kitchen than he was at home the one year he stayed home. Odd, I know, but true.

That's because in hotel he gets to rely on someone else, while at home, he knew it was all on him

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2018, 07:10:58 AM »
Here’s a description of just some of the moving parts when everything goes right in a pesach hotel program.

http://www.ok.org/consumers/passover/the-koshering-of-pesach-hotels/

Easy to see where even the best programs have situations that can compromise their standards in a way that you will never face in your kitchen.
No ones denying the complexity of kashrus at these programs,  but at least in the case of  the ones that have a knowledgeable rav hamachsor theres competent oversight by someone who knows the intricacies of kashrush,  whereas in your kitchen the same cant be said.