Topic Wiki

can we

Author Topic: Pesach Program Discussion Master Thread  (Read 196054 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Pesach Programs and False Advertising
« Reply #420 on: April 08, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
This thread needs a Wiki with short reviews from people who have been to each place.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Freecountry

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 08, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
I had friends who were extremely happy with Greenwald's Sheraton in Parsippany, NJ this year.
I've been there (not this year but others) A+

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #422 on: April 08, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
How did you manage only 2100? What did you eat?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 08, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
Family of 8 plus wonderful guests each meal. Five star food, really good selection of wines, way too many courses, as much as we wanted, when we were ready for it. Private Seder room! All for around $2100 all inclusive....

The closest we came to an issue was a bottle of non KP soda that ended up in the pantry by mistake.

Amazing experience. I think we are coming back next year :) ( hopefully new location, even better program in Yerushalayim!)

$2100 per person?

Where was this?

He means home....

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 08, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
Waiter service?
Chol Hamoed activities included?
Day camp for kids?

I assume you’re  being sarcastic.

I guess we missed out on the waiter service, but we took turns serving. Cooking all the food took some time, but so would packing up/ traveling to a hotel etc., and  we doubled up most of the food before Yom Tov, so we barely had any cooking to do before the last days.

Season passes to six flags took care of some of chol Hamoed. Afikomen presents, family get togethers, and a a few smaller trips took care of the rest. Kids had a blast; around $185 total.

Day camp for kids? We loved having the kids around and had a blast as a family. Wouldn’t have given it up for anything....

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 08, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »

I assume you’re  being sarcastic.

I guess we missed out on the waiter service, but we took turns serving. Cooking all the food took some time, but so would packing up/ traveling to a hotel etc., and  we doubled up most of the food before Yom Tov, so we barely had any cooking to do before the last days.

Season passes to six flags took care of some of chol Hamoed. Afikomen presents, family get togethers, and a a few smaller trips took care of the rest. Kids had a blast; around $185 total.

Day camp for kids? We loved having the kids around and had a blast as a family. Wouldn’t have given it up for anything....

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »
Amount is approximate

Off the top of my head
14 lb hand matzah approx. $275
3 boxes hand matzah, 7 shemurah matza meal/ cake meal for kneidlach, marble cake that tasted like chometz etc. approx $75

Small whole side of salmon @ Shoprite $20

2 gefilta fish $9
3 French roasts from seasons $6.99 lb. approx $130
Chicken cutlets/ nuggets/ hot poppers, pan cooked wine sauce chicken for Seder etc. approx $70
10 potato kugels approx $35

5 potato starch $10

Liver, salami $15

2lb. Lox @ Costco $24

35 dozen eggs from Target :) (used gift cards purchased @ 15% off last December (Target deal plus discover 5%) approx $22?
used for egg noodles, matza Brie, hard boiled eggs, etc etc.

Additional potatoes for mashed, scalloped etc. $15

Mushrooms for mushroom soup salads etc. $20

Flanken ends from NPGS for “cholent” and yabsuk (actually was real flanken just short pieces @3.99
lb. $25 chopped meat from seasons @$2.99 lb. for meatballs& potatoes, pan burgers, etc. $40

Chicken legs @2.39 lb. for chicken soup, cast iron seared chicken, amazing carmelzed onion chicken etc. $35

Marinara and cheese for matzah pizza $40

Ground Nuts, apples, cocoa,  etc for various cakes, brownies, nut bars, mousses, baked apples, apple kugel  Charoses etc. $45-55

Pastrami, corned beef, smoked turkey from costco $45

Small amount of bought cake, choc. Covered nuts, lady fingers etc. $35

Ice cream- par eve and milchigs $25

Raw corned beef from seasons 4.99 lb.? For sedarim and last days $45

Romaine and horseradish for salads and maror $65

Guests brought some decent wine for sedarim
and also some paper goods

Disposables and serving things for rest of the meals approx $100

Aluminum pans etc. $30

Someone sent over a bottle of cave :)

Assorted bottles of wine $175

Grape juice @$3 at stop and shop unlimited

Wings and hot sauce to grill for a couple of the meals approx. $25

Cauliflower and onions for roasting and for veg. Kugels $25

Soda, 5/$5 ShopRite, seltzer, milk, oj , bottled water from costco $45-$55

Assorted yogurts, cheeses, cream cheese , cheese snacks etc $50

Counter covers, tape, foil, etc. $35

Cottage cheese etc for matzah lasagna $10

French fries, etc. $15

Guests brought huge fruit platters that lasted us a couple desserts

Frozen strawberries for smoothies, pears in strawberry sauce etc. $20

Cleaning help was not included in the $2100- most was spring cleaning; maybe $175 was pesach.

chocolate bars, candy nosh etc.

$80

Lots of fruit, vegetables assorted groceries etc. for the rest...

Amounts are approximate as best as I can recall...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:40:56 PM by yzj »

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #427 on: April 08, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
Ok we get it. You're not the only one who spends pesach at home. Other people had a nice pesach and didn't pay any $ at all,but that's not what this thread is about.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 08, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
Ok we get it. You're not the only one who spends pesach at home. Other people had a nice pesach and didn't pay any $ at all,but that's not what this thread is about.

Aygart wanted a breakdown of the $2100. I gave him a breakdown...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #429 on: April 08, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »
I know someone there this year. It’s TERRIBLE!! They made all the victims pay cash upfront... attached pic is verified and all true!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KosherRestaurantFoodieChat/permalink/2065112730434082/
Quote from:
This post is long - Not restaurant related - food and community related. I have struggled all week with this post. I had a terrible experience with a Pesach program. While I want to inform others about this experience, it is merely my opinion, based on certain facts. I don't want to unnecessarily speak ill of someone, but I also don't want anyone else to go through this experience. In posting about this elsewhere, I have learned that this program has had similar issues in past years; had they posted them, I would have known to avoid this program. So, with the disclaimer that this is my opinion based on my experience, here goes. (To my knowledge, no one associated with this group is involved with the Pesach program.)

The good -
1. Time with family we love
2. Met some lovely new people and we hope to continue this friendships.
3. Nice hotel in a stunning area and I spent hours (literally) walking and running through the area taking in the amazing views!
4. Got to spend time with my sister and nephew, who live nearby.

The bad -
Moshe (Marvin) Press (and perhaps his brother Isaak - not quite sure how he's involved in running the program) ran two Pesach programs this year under the names Royalty Pesach Retreats and Platinum Pesach. The hotel receipt states that rooms were booked under the company 'Divrei Chaim Synagogue'.

I will list some of the issues -
1. Food at first Seder was spoiled and had to be thrown out.
2. Shabbos morning - no hot water for coffee
3. Shabbos lunch - chulent was spoiled. Served cold ribs and cold cutlets (which were supposed to be for Sunday lunch.)
4. Second Seder - ran out of marror, potatoes for karpos were raw, the duck they served was full of feathers and some were duck bones/scraps.
5. Sunday breakfast - only coffee was served. I gave out my stash of cookies, chocolate, baby fingers, 'granola,' bars, etc. At 9:30, they brought out yogurt, cheese, Leben in boxes and plunked them on the table.
6. Sunday lunch - pushed off from 12-1. At 1, soggy fries. At 1:45, franks in cocktail sauce. Later, grilled chicken, which was supposedly sent by Uber from the PA program.
7. So afraid of not getting fed, we bought a grill, meat and a ton of food on Monday. Grilled for about 30/35 people on Monday, including staff.
8. Didn't affect me, but still bad - kids dinner was served so late, half the kids were asleep.
9. Didn't affect me, but still bad - the counselors and babysitters left after the first days, so there was no/limited child care.
10. Food was left out overnight and served.
11. Guests were allowed (told to) go into the kitchen and fend for themselves
12. Food was stored outside, in the open. The walk in refrigerators were not secured and guests helped themselves.
13. There were two gentleman there who are holocaust survivors. They had to fight for food!!! It was disgusting!!!!
14. Food for first days was supposedly cooked in PA and transported to NY in a regular van, hence it spoiled. (As per kitchen staff.)
15. To my knowledge, there wasn't an actual chef at our program, until the hotel chef stepped in to help. (As per kitchen staff.)

Overall, food was not guaranteed. Things were served cold, improperly cooked and out of order. No salad or dips were served at any meal. The tea room was often a collection of random, leftover snacks. Staff was seen handling food without gloves. People had to barter for food from other tables. 'Extra' food was collected by staff from tables and then served to other tables!!!! Many guests were cleaning their own tables. While the food improved for the second days, that was only by comparison.

The saddest thing to me (other than holocaust survivors begging for food) was that when asked why they won't complain, guests were stating that they felt bad, that Mr. Press is a 'frum' Jew, he's trying, etc. This program was similarly priced to other Tri State area programs. It was not a 'budget' program. Mr. Press ignored all complaints and even disappeared for much of the program, completely leaving the hotel for the second days. Things promised in the brochure and welcome packet were not delivered.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 08, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
It seems like this program does this each year. If so there cannot be too many of any repeat customers. How do they fill up two places each year with only new customers who didn't speak to anyone there previously?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
I had friends who were extremely happy with Greenwald's Sheraton in Parsippany, NJ this year.
One of the respectable programs, with separate sedarim, ran out of food for someone who shlepped with his Magid. Inconceivable.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »
It seems like this program does this each year. If so there cannot be too many of any repeat customers. How do they fill up two places each year with only new customers who didn't speak to anyone there previously?
Glen cove is a very small hotel so easier. also.impossible to turn a profit unless you do something like that

Offline moka

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 08, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
I was there this year. +100

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 08, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
I was there this year. +100
Who did he use for kashrus?

Online aygart

• View Profile

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 08, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 08, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »

Offline DP7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11:45 PM »
Right, and we all know that the obvious answer in such a situation is to be mechalel shabbos...

Doesn’t help when right after the Rabbi of the program gave a speech after mincha explaining to everyone what they can and cannot do depending on what time the food makes it to their villas the person in charge got up and gave contradictory advice trying to make everyone think they can have the non Jewish delivery people do anything they need for them. Overall the person running the program was Incredibly rude to all guests and employees followed him by treating everyone just as disgustingly. Of course after Shabbos pizza was supposed to be delivered to every villa as well and it never showed up. We were told that there was issues with delivery and they were at Walmart trying to find additional pizza because of course random Walmart’s in Orlando would have amnons pizza. The only redeeming factor of this program is the nice villas and pool area.