Topic Wiki

can we

Author Topic: Pesach Program Discussion Master Thread  (Read 210623 times)

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pesach Program Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #1020 on: April 24, 2023, 01:05:26 PM »
The shayla boils down to:

1. Is anyone actually going to sign up for a program run by HG or has he irreparably damaged himself to the point that nobody will  sign up for a program that he runs in the future? Included in this is can he change the name again to hide who is running it, as he did this time.

2. Is highlighting out things that he has shared publicly going to potentially help a criminal case against him?
This isn't even a question.

If ultimately we are all made to apologize to him after it has been proven that he did not, in fact, perpetuate a scam, nobody will ever enter into business with him no matter how lucrative the opportunity seems.

Regardless of whether or not he is a criminal, he has exhibited psychopathic tendencies. He is incapable of meeting basic emotional expectations, he is incapable of admitting any accountability, incapable of answering a direct question where he can instead assume a defensive posture.

He has displayed all of the above to the world, foolishly and without counsel (another psychopathic tendency).

Regardless of his guilt, he has irreparably damaged himself.

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 24, 2023, 01:15:30 PM »

I understand this may not have been your intent and it may have just been poorly written, but I don't really see any other way to read this line. You may want to modify it if you still can.
Done.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 24, 2023, 01:19:04 PM »
No idea if that's true or not.

This was stated by Yossi Zablocki on the second ZB interview. He was a former criminal defense attorney. Whether it’s true or not I don’t know. Maybe get in touch with him?

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 24, 2023, 01:21:45 PM »
I asked HG and their hotel for their sides of the story. Stay tuned :)
🍿 🍿 🍿

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 24, 2023, 01:22:06 PM »

Regardless of whether or not he is a criminal, he has exhibited psychopathic tendencies. He is incapable of meeting basic emotional expectations, he is incapable of admitting any accountability, incapable of answering a direct question where he can instead assume a defensive posture.

He has displayed all of the above to the world, foolishly and without counsel (another psychopathic tendency).

Sounds like a description of Trump.

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 24, 2023, 01:23:08 PM »
Funnily enough, I made that comparison to my wife multiple times as we were listening to the interview.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 24, 2023, 01:50:11 PM »

But he doesn't seem to realize that, and many don't pay attention to DDF or ZB, so what might help others avoid getting involved with him?

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 24, 2023, 01:55:59 PM »
But he doesn't seem to realize that, and many don't pay attention to DDF or ZB, so what might help others avoid getting involved with him?
I never thought I'd say this, but this is where low-standard sites like YWN have something to offer.

Now that YWN publicized the interviews, I think it's fair to say that all segments of the Frum community have been made aware of the problems with HG specifically and this industry in general.

With regard to HG specifically, his only paths forward are working for someone else or taking his business outside the community.

With regard to spreading awareness about what we need to look into before signing up for these programs in general, I think that's been covered.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 24, 2023, 01:58:08 PM »
I'm sorry but i don't recall writing that? Maybe you saw it on another website.

I simply wrote that people have to stop "playing it safe" and not entering into dangerous ground when our friends and family can lose out big time from it. No, we need to act. That could mean getting a "no" from our Posek, but not getting involved at all is not an option.

I understand (from dealmaster -thank you) that i was misunderstood and therefore clarified my point.

Feel free to disagree with me. I'm open to debating anything that i believe in.

i don't disagree that its wrong to shirk responsibility of לא תעמד על דם רעך  and you just have to be carefull to do what has to be done within the guidelines of halacha . You may have miswrote and therefore should edit the following horrible sentence

What about others? So you may slip and get a little Gehenim. It's not worth it to save your friends, neighbors, relatives, and fellow congregants?

Offline RGoldstein

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 24, 2023, 02:07:52 PM »
I just heard he is in his third marriage!!
He has a fresh Chapter 13 bankruptcy filing in July 2022 where he declares that he owes out millions of dollars to creditors

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #1030 on: April 24, 2023, 03:34:57 PM »
Nasty....

Offline hcn0132

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 24, 2023, 05:23:33 PM »
So… Dan… are we getting the timeline?
I keep checking back here to see if you posted it yet
Lol

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1032 on: April 24, 2023, 07:31:11 PM »
Ok next PSA: DON'T FLY TO A PROGRAM ON EREV YOM TOV!

It all (kinda) worked out in the end, but gosh.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/passoverprogramreviews/permalink/1956911677987109/?mibextid=Nif5oz

We were on Hafikomen Passover in Puerto Vallarta  but...
Houston we have a problem
This trip started out like all the others, I gave the kids a general packing list, reminded them we had an early morning and as we handed our keys to the parking attendant for 12 days of safe keeping before embarking on our epic Pesach getaway, my redundant speech comprised of my frequently repeated phrase, “attitude is everything.”
While the sentiment that your attitude can shift the troubling into something positive is true, and I’d like to believe I live with that pervasive thought process, I regretfully admit, I falter more often than not. However, much as I fail, I truly believe that my perspective has the power to manifest the best of circumstances.
As we continued our procession through the airport our first TSA agent deigned two of our carry-ons as checked baggage and we need to restart our process, while I lamented this setback I knew Hashem would make sure our luggage would get to us, eventually.
As we waited to go airborne one of my friends shared a series of reminders in our mom group regarding some helpful Pesach tidbits, the first of which, “you are exactly where you need to be.” This being my first Pesach without any of our extended family, the message resonated.
We boarded our flight and my husband confirmed our checked bags were right along with us for the journey. We settled into  our seats and took the short two hour flight from LAX to IHA. As the plane descended, we quickly gathered the mix of provisions and entertainment that explodes with a family of 6 and beelined to our connecting flight. There were a mere 40 minutes between flights and as we boarded the plane destined  to Puerto Vallarta we acknowledged and appreciated that we had made the flight in time.
After 2 hours of sitting on the ground due to one closed runway and subsequent bottle necking- the pilot announced a mechanical problem with the hydraulic pump, the clock kept ticking and the announcements trickled in from the flight deck, “we’re looking for an engineer to try to fix the problem”… “the rain is limiting our mechanical staff”  but the kicker came when the pilot finally announced we’d have to deplane as the problem could not be fixed. It took another 30 minutes before a jet bridge could be connected due to the thunder and lighting and so we continued to wait. My husband confidently assured me we could safely arrive in time for yontif so long as we boarded within the next 2 hours.
We deplaned and we hauled 4 kids, 7 carry-ons along with the swarm of the other 150 passengers through the behemoth that is Houston airport to 3 different gates, as different direction we’re being prescribed; 45 minutes after deplaning we were told our flight was cancelled.
Houston, WE, have a problem.
We frantically scoured the internet for alternate flights into Puerto Vallarta. We were embarking on a 3 day Chag which required lodgings, but more critically specialized food for SIX PEOPLE!
There were no other flights going to Puerto Vallarta.
As I stood in the 3 hour snaking customer service line, my husband began consulting halachic figures regarding the permission to fly on yontif, given our plight.
We toyed with returning home, but I looked at my husband, who was distressed about losing the money on the program and disappointed about the flight not happening; with the notion that I was exactly where I needed to be, I suggested to him we stay in Houston. We’d contact the local Chabad and make an experience out of it. The kids were sufficiently entertained and like a true Jewish-mother-in-me had packed enough kosher for Pesach snacks to carry us through.
I stood in the customer service line filled with disgruntled customers and simultaneously, confidently and patiently navigated instagram and contacted the hashtags that read Houston Chabad. The first rabbi responded immediately, he guided us to three possible hotels that were nearby and assured me he would host us for the meals.
While my husband processed his frustrations, He reached out to a contact he had been reacquainted with for a business deal he was working on, who just happened to live in Houston. Oddly enough, none of the hotels Chabad had recommended had availability.
His contact came through! Suddenly wheels were turning and we were going to have Pesach. Chili and Yocheved Birnbaum, graciously opened their home, provided the code for their lock, and allowed us to use their home over Yuntif. Chili contacted the local caterer who dropped off robust Pesach provisions NO QUESTIONS ASKED,  but most importantly they reached out to their neighbors Hila and Ben Kozuch, who went out of their way to make our stay as hospitable as possible.
The final piece was the winding line at customer service that had made little progress and we needed to retrieve our luggage containing our clothes for yuntif. I flagged an agent and tried to best explain our circumstances, 3 days no electricity, must leave now, need our luggage- she couldn’t quite make heads or tails…we skirted the line and left word that was walkie talkies to the baggage claim attendant downstairs. We approached baggage claim and again went through the rigamarole regarding the 3 days of Shabbos and Yuntif …no electricity, must leave now, need our luggage. In a most revealed instance of hashgacha pratis the luggage attendant was Jewish and familiar with Passover she made it clear in all the Paperwork that our luggage is meant to be dropped off no phone or email confirmation needed.
Some Instacart orders of fresh fruit and no utensil veggies to supplement the caterers robust meat order, paper goods and tablecloths for impromptu Pesach silverwater and prep. And we were set!
The groceries and food were ready upon arrival.
We arrived 20 minutes before candle lighting and before anyone could even shower we were greeted by warm and inviting neighbors excited to have playmates over the extended holidays, Hila handed me a bag of hard-to-procure at the 11th hour Pesach provisions, I.e. yogurts and snacks and only the BEST Pesach cereals. They also requested we join their Seder; our Pesach was coalescing  to be more perfect than we could have ever planned. We graciously accepted  and scuttled through the fastest showers and preparations.
Hila showed up with a suit for my husband as his luggage was still M.I.A. The duration of our 3 day Yontif was punctuated by the most generous exhibits of hospitality and graciousness we have ever experienced. Each family vying for an opportunity to host the six of us. Chili and Yocheved  Birnbaum set the dominos up and the Houston community made every piece fall into place it is a true testament to the strength of the community and each family gave us the most beautiful Pesach we had ever experienced.  Hila and Ben Kozech will forever hold a special place in our hearts as their act of welcoming complete strangers went above and beyond; each morning we received a delivery of hot water and coffee and various home made provisions.
The Polacheks, who fed us a lavish breakfast at 6am before departing for Puerto Vallarta was an act of pure generosity.
Special thanks to Hila (Sage) and Ben Kozuch and family, Tatum and Jeremy Stern and Family, Abe and Karen Polatsek and family, Jack and Frumie Polatsek and family, Chaim and Avigayil Helprin and family for hosting us
Pesach is an uncanny holiday, being both physically grueling to clean and cook and more over extremely costly. Knowing that we were exactly where we needed to be and being the recipient of such kindness made us supremely appreciative.
Hashem runs the world. May we all be blessed to merit the immediate and eternal redemption to celebrate collectively Bimhara b yamenu, ameyn

oh and we made it Puerto Vallarta and it was relaxing and indulgent!
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 24, 2023, 07:42:09 PM »
Ok next PSA: DON'T FLY TO A PROGRAM ON EREV YOM TOV!

It all (kinda) worked out in the end, but gosh.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/passoverprogramreviews/permalink/1956911677987109/?mibextid=Nif5oz

A+ writing skills.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1034 on: April 24, 2023, 07:44:24 PM »
Ok next PSA: DON'T FLY TO A PROGRAM ON EREV YOM TOV especially if there's a connection involved!

FTFY
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: April 24, 2023, 10:22:09 PM »

my husband began consulting halachic figures regarding the permission to fly on yontif, given our plight.

Oh, OK.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 24, 2023, 10:25:52 PM »

Oh, OK.
Perhaps if done with a שינוי, like flying in economy. :)

Online yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #1037 on: April 24, 2023, 10:29:20 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1038 on: April 24, 2023, 10:29:29 PM »
Perhaps if done with a שינוי, like flying in economy. :)

You probably meant parents in economy and kids in business.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 24, 2023, 10:52:14 PM »