Author Topic: If I Could, I Would... (Master Thread)  (Read 21998 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: If I Could, I Would... (Master Thread)
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
3. I'll be shocked if the government wasn't giving tons of money to TI and others working on microchips, but I'll have to look into it.
This is what I came up with after a quick search, I'm not sure if it's conclusive either way, but interesting nonetheless.
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/technology/1110/gallery.government_inventions/2.html
http://www.longviewinstitute.org/projects/marketfundamentalism/microchip/
http://www2.itif.org/2014-federally-supported-innovations.pdf

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2018, 12:06:09 AM »
Disclaimer: I don't know biology. I don't even know the exact definition of what a gene is. I think it has something to do with DNA. And that its what makes each person different from each other.

Now when you say that most diseases aren't gene based, do you mean something like the flu, which is caught from the environment? If so I find it hard to believe that most diseases aren't gene based. Or that you can't modify something to become resistant to a disease.

And what I meant was that with clones of human beings you can find out exactly what each gene does by modifying and comparing it with a clone. I think they do that with identical twins. I'm actually not sure what the next step would be.

Anyways as a side note I saw this https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/24/579925801/chinese-scientists-clone-monkeys-using-method-that-created-dolly-the-sheep
The real problem here is that you keep talking and making assumptions, about things that you have little or no knowledge of.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2018, 12:44:32 AM »
The real problem here is that you keep talking and making assumptions, about things that you have little or no knowledge of.
At least I'm not faking that I do.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2018, 01:17:21 AM »
At least I'm not faking that I do.
Typically the way to come up with a good idea is to make sure to understand the underlying facts and then use that knowledge to come up with the idea. To so that you would do something with little to no knowledge of what effect doing that would have is kind of foolhardy.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2018, 01:23:18 AM »
Typically the way to come up with a good idea is to make sure to understand the underlying facts and then use that knowledge to come up with the idea. To so that you would do something with little to no knowledge of what effect doing that would have is kind of foolhardy.
AKA Nunues memo. 🍔🍔🍔
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2018, 01:23:59 AM »
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2018, 01:30:12 AM »
Wrong thread
Sorry trying to catch up due to the blackout.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2018, 04:00:57 AM »
If I could, I would redesign all urban cities to have pumps built into the middle of the street (underground). Therefore have more parking spots.
Similar to running telephone and electric wire underground avoiding blackout from storm.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2018, 04:14:52 AM »
Sure, I'll be on board as soon as my grocery begins accepting passion as a form of payment.
I may be late, but this is great.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
I may be late, but this is great.
It's fine that you're late, you just have to pay interest of 8.4% passion.

Chase: Putting the Passion in APR.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2018, 01:38:12 AM »
Before I start I just want to say that I think I'm fully aware of the morality of such an idea is. The point of this is to see if such an idea would work. I don't think I'm smart enough to think of all the effects of such an idea would be and whether it would work. Therefore I want you guys to criticize it from every possible angle and to state all effects of such an idea that you can think of (good and bad).

If I could, I would legalize (maybe even subsidize) all drugs.
I'm not sure if I would make it legal to give kids also. But I'd definitely make it legal for 14+

The purpose of this idea is to end the so called drug epidemic.

The reason why I think it might work is because I want all the people that would take drugs to either die out or become so affected by their drug use that they won't be able to live a normal life and raise a family.

Some effects I thought of: government regulation would make it safer, more DUI, the broke drug addicts commiting crimes to get money, responsible parents would become ultra protective, kids seeing other people die would scare them away from drugs, overdose life saving drug makers (i.e. narcan) will make a fortune,

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »
Many people would take the drugs that would never have needed it in their life.

There are many people who were leading incredibly productive lives until a legit illness/accident got them started on a drug that is addictive.

You would be way better off to find a way to make a painkiller less addictive.

Why do you want them all to die out?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2018, 08:40:53 AM »
Before I start I just want to say that I think I'm fully aware of the morality of such an idea is. The point of this is to see if such an idea would work. I don't think I'm smart enough to think of all the effects of such an idea would be and whether it would work. Therefore I want you guys to criticize it from every possible angle and to state all effects of such an idea that you can think of (good and bad).

I'm not sure if I would make it legal to give kids also. But I'd definitely make it legal for 14+

The reason why I think it might work is because I want all the people that would take drugs to either die out or become so affected by their drug use that they won't be able to live a normal life and raise a family.

Some effects I thought of: government regulation would make it safer, more DUI, the broke drug addicts commiting crimes to get money, responsible parents would become ultra protective, kids seeing other people die would scare them away from drugs, overdose life saving drug makers (i.e. narcan) will make a fortune,
Ever heard of לא תוהו בראה, לשבת יצרה?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »

You were fine up until here. That's not a good reason to legalize drugs. We want to save people's lives, not have them die.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
Many people would take the drugs that would never have needed it in their life.

There are many people who were leading incredibly productive lives until a legit illness/accident got them started on a drug that is addictive.
Legalizing drugs and removing some of the social stigma surrounding drug addiction would only help those people.

You would be way better off to find a way to make a painkiller less addictive.

Why do you want them all to die out?
The nature of opioids doesn't really allow for that. The real problem is the overprescription of painkillers in this country and lack of proper education for doctors about the opioid epidemic. The big drug companies did a really good job convincing doctors to overprescribe their drugs.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
The nature of opioids doesn't really allow for that. The real problem is the overprescription of painkillers in this country and lack of proper education for doctors about the opioid epidemic. The big drug companies did a really good job convincing doctors to overprescribe their drugs.
There are many individuals that are in chronic pain. A solution needs to be found for them. It seems cannabis is a solution for some.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
If I Could, I Would... (Master Thread)
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
There are many individuals that are in chronic pain. A solution needs to be found for them. It seems cannabis is a solution for some.
I wasn't really reffering to chronic pain but yes, cannabis is almost certainly better than opioids in that situation.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »
#1 - Many people would take the drugs that would never have needed it in their life.

#2 - There are many people who were leading incredibly productive lives until a legit illness/accident got them started on a drug that is addictive.

#3 - You would be way better off to find a way to make a painkiller less addictive.

#4 - Why do you want them all to die out?
#1 I don't understand what you're saying.

#2 that's true. If the person truly needed such strong painkillers then they are definitely going to be messed up from such a policy. On the other hand if they didn't need such strong drugs and weren't careful to only take non addictive painkillers then it's their fault*.
At the end of the day how many people like that are there?

#3 100% but they would also have to discontinue manufacturing the other addictive drugs (which might be impossible due to the black market).

#4 Not necessarily to die out just to not have children. So future generations won't be so prone to start taking drugs.

Ever heard of לא תוהו בראה, לשבת יצרה?
True. If I wanted I could answer that not doing it will kill more in the long run.

You were fine up until here. That's not a good reason to legalize drugs. We want to save people's lives, not have them die.
What I wrote to exgingi.

The real problem is the overprescription of painkillers in this country and lack of proper education for doctors about the opioid epidemic. The big drug companies did a really good job convincing doctors to overprescribe their drugs.
There's another person at fault. The patient.
*(If anybody here is addicted to anything. I don't mean to be mean so don't be offended.)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
#1 I don't understand what you're saying.

#2 that's true. If the person truly needed such strong painkillers then they are definitely going to be messed up from such a policy. On the other hand if they didn't need such strong drugs and weren't careful to only take non addictive painkillers then it's their fault*.
At the end of the day how many people like that are there?

#3 100% but they would also have to discontinue manufacturing the other addictive drugs (which might be impossible due to the black market).

#4 Not necessarily to die out just to not have children. So future generations won't be so prone to start taking drugs.
True. If I wanted I could answer that not doing it will kill more in the long run.
What I wrote to exgingi.
There's another person at fault. The patient.
*(If anybody here is addicted to anything. I don't mean to be mean so don't be offended.)

Is there a "worst of DDF" thread?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
Is there a "worst of DDF" thread?
:) I agree