Author Topic: I Owe Chase $25k from CC  (Read 19584 times)

Offline EMCC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
I Owe Chase $25k from CC
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:05:30 PM »
Ok guys, I messed up, and now I’m in trouble. My credit score is still good, and I’ve never missed a payment. I just can’t be paying back my bank forever, I need to live my life. I need to negotiate my debt. Does this hurt my credit score? Can I do it in person in a Chase bank? Any tips?
"Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: I Owe Chase $25k from CC
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »
Negotiating a debt with a cc card I think is done on the phone with the cc company, rather than in the bank.
The amount written off by the cc counts against you in your credit rating.

If you only had the principle to pay, would you be able to make reasonable payments over a reasonable amount of time?  If so, do you have any family member or good friend who would front the money for you now and you can pay them back?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:27:05 PM »
If so, do you have any family member or good friend who would front the money for you now and you can pay them back?
That's a good way to soon have a bad friend.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
Ok guys, I messed up, and now I’m in trouble. My credit score is still good, and I’ve never missed a payment. I just can’t be paying back my bank forever, I need to live my life. I need to negotiate my debt. Does this hurt my credit score? Can I do it in person in a Chase bank? Any tips?

Sell some points?

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »
Negotiating a debt with a cc card I think is done on the phone with the cc company, rather than in the bank.
The amount written off by the cc counts against you in your credit rating.

If you only had the principle to pay, would you be able to make reasonable payments over a reasonable amount of time?  If so, do you have any family member or good friend who would front the money for you now and you can pay them back?
What do you mean it will be held against me? To what extent?

I have no money, so paying back would take me a while, and a huge chunk out of my paycheck. I’m willing to give up that chunk, I got myself into this mess, now I need to pay up, but it’s just so much! I could move on with life if I could pay back $10k or so.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 12:34:09 PM »
What do you mean it will be help against me? To what extent?

I have no money, so paying back would take me a while, and a huge chunk out of my paycheck. I’m willing to give up that chunk, I got myself into this mess, now I need to pay up, but it’s just so much! I could move on with life if I could pay back $10k or so.
You can get it down to much less than $10k but I don't know what effect it will have on your credit score.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:36:38 PM »
I just can’t be paying back my bank forever, I need to live my life. I need to negotiate my debt.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but this is in fact your mistake. "Can't be paying back a debt you incurred because you need to live your life?"

Why should the bank pay for your mistake?

Generally, negotiating a reduced debt takes a large toll on your credit. You don't get to skip out on $15K of your $25K debt and expect your credit to remain sterling.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
Generally, negotiating a reduced debt takes a large toll on your credit. You don't get to skip out on $15K of your $25K debt and expect your credit to remain sterling.
Isn't it worth to have not such good credit for a year or two and be able to cut $20k off your debt?

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »

how did you get into this mess? spending spree?
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:36 PM »
Isn't it worth to have not such good credit for a year or two and be able to cut $20k off your debt?
It's likely worse then "not such God credit for a year or two"
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »

Your question assumes facts not in evidence. Why do you say "a year or two?"
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
I'm sorry this has happened to you, but this is in fact your mistake. "Can't be paying back a debt you incurred because you need to live your life?"

Why should the bank pay for your mistake?

don't think it matters if you negotiate %10 off or %90 off it will still just show up on your report as settlement acceptedepted on this account which is bad but not as a bad a not paying at all.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
As long as your credit score is good, don't expect a favorable outcome from negotiations.

There are strategies to mitigate and minimize the damage, nothing to be discussed publicly.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »
don't think it matters if you negotiate %10 off or %90 off it will still just show up on your report as settlement acceptedepted on this account which is bad but not as a bad a not paying at all.

The point is the same.  Negotiating debt will likely have negative repercussions to one's credit.

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
The point is the same.  Negotiating debt will likely have negative repercussions to one's credit.
yes but 1 settled account on an otherwise good report won't kill his credit altough as just mentioned with good credit he won't get a great settlement.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Your question assumes facts not in evidence. Why do you say "a year or two?"
Because I know someone that settled $50k debt for $5k with chase and they approved him for a credit card a year or two later.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
OP, why not just continue paying minimums until you can the money to pay off the debt? Sure, you'll pay interest, but your credit will remain good. Another option to consider is to apply now for a balance-transfer 0% interest card and park the debt there for 18 months while you work it out.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
Because I know someone that settled $50k debt for $5k with chase and they approved him for a credit card a year or two later.

That surprises me, but doesn't change anything. Whether a particular issuer is keen on giving the same guy who stiffed them a year earlier another CC is up that issuer.  But the charge off remains on his report for all creditors to see for 7 years or so.

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
how did you get into this mess? spending spree?
Lost my job and was jobless for a while.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
That is not the norm AFAIK
"Not all who wander are lost"