Author Topic: Seattle Aviation Trip + Amazon GO 1st opening week w/video  (Read 6767 times)

Offline qsman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle Aviation Trip + Amazon GO 1st opening week w/video - MORE STUFF!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »
OK folks, here is more detail:

We arrived in Sea-Tac Tues night 1/23 and took Lyft Line to our Seward Park Airbnb. The only cars that are allowed to pick up at the airport are those that can get 40MPG or better, so the pickup area was full of Priuses (Prii?). Made finding you driver pretty difficult

Wednesday thanks to an adventure with our carshare car,

parking issues and giving our Lyft driver the wrong ferry dock location, we had a modified itinerary. We originally wanted to take the Seattle - Bremerton ferry that is 1 hour each way and goes between some of the islands, but we missed it and opted for the shorter Seattle - Bainbridge ferry instead. Still a very pleasant ride in the rain, with decent shots of downtown and the Sound

We then took the Beneath the Streets tour @ 3:30, got the tickets on Living Social with 25% off. Very interesting on how Seattle was originally built, then another level added to compensate for the flooding. Some businesses still use the tunnels today.

Next was the Seattle Monorail (it was dark by now and pics didnt come out well), Bamboo Garden and the Amazon GO store.

Thursday we took an Uber to the Museum of Flight and arrived before the doors opened. On the way there I placed a "to go" order from the Starbucks a mile down the street from the museum, figuring that would be a 30 second stop at most.  However, upon arrival, we saw there was only a walk up window and a drive through, no store!!! So I had to wait in line at the window to get my coffee....It was pouring hard as usual but if you google Starbucks East Marginal Way you'll see what I mean in the photos.

We arrived at the MoF at 10 and left at 4:30....the docents are amazing and are worth spending time with. Here are some more photos including some panoramas that my son took with his iPhone:

The outdoor pavillion:

Overviews. The Model 247 in the foreground was the reason the Douglas DC family was developed. Fascinating story.

To the extreme right is 727 Frame #1. United and Boeing were closely tied together.

Looking towards the front of VC-137

Concorde cockpit

Back inside....
Looking towards the front of the historical display from behind the MR21

Consoles from Mission Control

Notes from Apollo 11

Lockheed Electra, same model that Amelia Earhart was lost in

Norden bombsight (anyone remember the Hogan's Hero's episode?)

Neil Armstrong took a piece of fabric and a piece of wood from the original Wright flyer (that hangs in the Smithsonian Air & Space) on the first lunar landing. Now next time I am down in DC I am going to ask where it was taken from! Coast to Coast history!

I could go on and on, this is just a small sample of what's in this place, I consider the museum hallowed ground. I would budget an ENTIRE day if you can, if not use their website to plan out a visit. There is a cafe with tables/chairs with a view of the field, so lunch is part of the adventure.

More to come with Pike Place Market, Combat Air Museum and of course Paine Field!!!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:58:37 PM by qsman »

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
More to come with Pike Place Market, Combat Air Museum and of course Paine Field!!!!
Any updates?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline qsman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle Aviation Trip + Amazon GO 1st opening week w/video
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 11:55:11 PM »
dpk4588,

Thank you so much for the reminder! It was just after the last post that Dan & co posted a Shutterfly unlimited photo album special for like $20 which we IMMEDIATELY jumped on.

I will post the pics, but in the interim there are several Twitter feeds that have been posting pics of the historical aircraft flying around now that we are hitting summer season, and boy are they even more magnificent in the air!