Author Topic: Attitudes towards body odors in various cultures (aka is deodorant permissible)  (Read 6870 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So if some blogger would write that their elal flight smelled like a mix of salty fish and mikva chlorine and he found out to be disgusting but maybe it is just a cultural thing you would be okay with that?
Everything depends how it's written. I think if you read my original post it's clear that it was not meant in a negative way, rather than some other posts

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Hey, I can't be racist, some of my best friends stink.
Quote from: ExGingi
Yehuda57 needs to spew a certain amount of sarcasm in order to survive through the day.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
So if would say that it stinks like herring you would be okay?
In my household the contrasts are as obvious as they can get.

My wife considers the scent of Herring to “stink” and won’t let kids who consumed it at a kiddush come close to her, while she loves the scent of windex. I, on the other hand, cannot stand the scent of windex, yet will indulge and enjoy as much schmaltz herring as I can have. So to me the term “stinks” isn’t derogatory. It just defines people’s intolerance to various odors.

I can appreciate the diversity of odor tolerance. What I can’t understand is when there’s no awareness to an odor so strong that it carries to a distance, and that in a certain setting would be considered repulsive to most.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Deodarent is never needed. use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWB8ESU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a skin condition where I cant use aluminum, the Toms of maine stuff is ok but doesnt do the job. One squirt of this, clean your underarms daily and you'll never smell again.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Deodarent is never needed. use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWB8ESU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a skin condition where I cant use aluminum, the Toms of maine stuff is ok but doesnt do the job. One squirt of this, clean your underarms daily and you'll never smell again.
Are you offering to sponsor some for http://www.gozensecurity.com/en ?

Anti perspirants contain aluminum. Deodorants don’t. Some deodorants contain silver particles which do a great job in killing the odor microbes.
-- Dan

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Sweat actually contains pheromones. In many societies sweaty handkerchiefs etc were used to court and attract women. In fact studies show that modern women are significantly attracted to even below average looking men when exposed to articles of their clothing, t-shirts etc. that contain their pheromones. So b.o. is really a matter of culture rather than an absolute negative.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Sweat actually contains pheromones. In many societies sweaty handkerchiefs etc were used to court and attract women. In fact studies show that modern women are significantly attracted to even below average looking men when exposed to articles of their clothing, t-shirts etc. that contain their pheromones. So b.o. is really a matter of culture rather than an absolute negative.
There’s a huge difference between the odor of fresh sweat and that of sweat that is a few hours (or days) old.
-- Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I specifically mentioned that I thought it was not a matter of bad hygiene, but something that bothers people from a different culture because they don't eat the same food. Very different from the condescending tone it feel others have used
Ok I am confused as usual. What type of smell are you talking about? Clothes, bad breath, body odor or something else?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
Ok I am confused as usual. What type of smell are you talking about? Clothes, bad breath, body odor or something else?
I would imagine either clothes or body odor, however, I was assuming that it was a smell which comes from certain foods, as it did not smell like conventional body odor (ie sweat)

Online ExGingi

• View Profile

Fenugreek (known as חילבה) is extremely healthy, and many people like it, but it is known to bring about enduring body odors.

But what I was referring to in the OP about my IST experience was just the odor that comes from sweat.

If you're unfamiliar, start with Wikipedia.
-- Dan

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile