Topic Wiki

1) The Holocaust happened because Jews were unable to obtain guns due to Poland's notoriously strict gun laws.
2) The left wants an absolute gun ban - no guns at all, any type, for anyone, ever.
3) The right wants mass shootings, especially school shootings.
4) Everyone agrees we need to require better background checks and use more discretion in handing out gun licenses.
4.a The right cannot pass such legislation because it is a slippery slope to banning all guns, everywhere, for everyone.
4.b The left cannot pass such legislation because it is not enough.
5)  Every school in the US should have metal detectors at the entrance, be surrounded by a 30' cement wall and have armed guards in every classroom and hallway. The more guns around kids the better.
6) 7 year olds going through half an hour of security theater every day just to go to school is a perfectly normal and acceptable solution.
7) The second amendment entitles every US citizen to an AR-15.
8 ) Laws don't prevent crimes.
9) Guns don't kill people
10) Stats prove my side of the argument 100% correct. (D)
11) Stats prove my side of the argument 100% correct  (R)

Author Topic: Parkland, FL 2/14/18 School Shooting, 17 Killed (Another mass shooting!)  (Read 200163 times)

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Another mass shooting!!!
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2018, 11:21:22 PM »
What some of you sound like is like saying we should take care of it by flying over with a plane with a big magnet which will pull all the buns away from everyone. All the we shoulds are pointless if they are not realistic under the constitution.
That took me way longer than it should have to realize buns was a typo. I was sitting there thinking what's the nimshal :)
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:20 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time we used the tax code for social purposes...think liquor or cigarette taxes.

Excellent point. And it did absolutely nothing.

Cigarette smoking declined due to massive awareness campaigns targeting youth. Drinking... never declined.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »
I'm not sure I believe that. I think they just want to control people in any way possible (since they know better on how to spend our money, raise our kids, believe in our god's, etc). If it means to say guns are bad, fine. If it means making people give up their money for other people's 'rights', also fine.
What you're saying is definitely true about some liberal government types. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people who think banning guns would help stop a lot of shootings

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2018, 11:38:05 PM »

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:41 PM »
That took me way longer than it should have to realize buns was a typo. I was sitting there thinking what's the nimshal :)
Lol
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2018, 11:44:19 PM »
Excellent point. And it did absolutely nothing.

Cigarette smoking declined due to massive awareness campaigns targeting youth. Drinking... never declined.
I am not sure you are right about drinking. If you read about the history of prohibition it seems not to be the case.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2018, 12:20:48 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2018, 12:22:42 AM »
Leave it to The Onion to sum it up perfectly
They run that samev exact headline every time there's a mass shooting. It's tradition by now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2018, 12:34:14 AM »
They run that samev exact headline every time there's a mass shooting. It's tradition by now.
Yup. Look at the "recommended stories" at the bottom of the page.

https://twitter.com/jasonroeder/status/963976307879985152

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:52 AM »
Apt buildings, schools, shuls, etc in Sao Paulo all have double gates with a guard that has to vet you to get past the 2nd gate. There is no back access point.
We're in bad shape if we need to secure ourselves like Sao Paulo
Guns in the hands of responsible people, don't just kill and injure on their own. We don't seem to have an issue with this anywhere else, why would a school be worse?
Would like to know the answer to this
And how about the kid who now has more access to a gun by taking it from a potentially weak teacher?
I would say it's a pretty small chance in an elementary School
There's a cool Israeli made trigger safety lock that they make, that would solve that problem. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zore-a-new-generation-of-gun-storage--2#/
Safety Triggers would be a great solution. But those that appose, claim that it doesn't always work and can delay the shot.

I have zero knowledge of it...

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2018, 02:14:39 AM »
Those are not constitutionally protected.
The right to vote is certainly constitutionally protected. And yet it took the 24th amendment to eliminate the poll tax, which was a perfect example of using the tax code to limit a protected right.

Offline Abelefko1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Another mass shooting!!!
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2018, 06:10:02 AM »
I'm not sure I believe that. I think they just want to control people in any way possible (since they know better on how to spend our money, raise our kids, believe in our god's, etc). If it means to say guns are bad, fine. If it means making people give up their money for other people's 'rights', also fine.
You sound like a redneck with an IQ below the freezing point...
What else does this freedom entitle you ? a howitzer? How about a tomahawk??
This is not a discussion about gun rights it’s a discussion about WMD namely automatic rifles, there’s no argument that many lives would’ve been saved, here, in Orlando,Vegas etc. had these people not had such easy access to such guns. Even if only ONE kids life would’ve been saved it’s worth it to give up this freedom.
Now, you want to argue about mental health, inner city crime ? That’s a different discussion, one that should be explored I’m sure many lives can be saved that way too.
Just look at this kids Instagram

No doubt in my mind a ban on WMD would’ve saved lives here , mental health help too, but that not a total solution (counseling is not always gonna stop a murder)
As mr. orange head is fond of saying “the world is laughing at us”
Again no one is offering a complete solution to gun crime, but let’s stop with stupid “rights” that the founding fathers enacted
1. Ur gun is not gonna stop the big bad government from invading you’re home. Arguably Twitter is gonna be more effective
2. The fathers have never seen such guns, no doubt it wouldn’t have been included in the “right”
All we need is some republicans standing up to they’re base and say ENOUGH!!
If people have got more solutions to stop gun crime, bring it on!! But one kids life is just too much .....and I’m not holding my breath to see which school concert night club etc. will be  next to be attacked by AUTOMATIC rifles !!Will banning these guns stop these people from committing these crimes ? I don’t know, will less people die ? Definitely Yes ! Will mental counseling stop these people? Maybe some maybe all , it’s something that should be implemented as part of the background, but banning these guns would definitely and immediately save lives.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:13:38 AM by Abelefko1 »

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2018, 06:38:01 AM »
Apt buildings, schools, shuls, etc in Sao Paulo all have double gates with a guard that has to vet you to get past the 2nd gate. There is no back access point.
unless of course they're in on it

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2018, 07:38:26 AM »
The right to vote is certainly constitutionally protected. And yet it took the 24th amendment to eliminate the poll tax, which was a perfect example of using the tax code to limit a protected right.
That is a great example. It shows exactly why the tax code is not the right way to do it.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »

I would say it's a pretty small chance in an elementary School
How about the outsider who comes in and now has extra weapons?

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2018, 08:22:23 AM »
i would say the copycat factor is real but i dont see  the media as being complicit
i change my mind the media is definitely complicit. why the *** do they keep on saying he was an orphan who was bullied with a troubled childhood? seems like an open invitation to all people that have a rough life to go stir crazy . looking back how many of the past shooters was classified as "disgruntled" as if thats permission to do whatever takes to "ungruntle"
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
i change my mind the media is definitely complicit. why the *** do they keep on saying he was an orphan who was bullied with a troubled childhood? seems like an open invitation to all people that have a rough life to go stir crazy . looking back how many of the past shooters was classified as "disgruntled" as if thats permission to do whatever takes to "ungruntle"
If the media never released a killers photo or name, I think there would be less killings. I'm not saying it'd solve anything, but in the end it would lead to less killings.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
If the media never released a killers photo or name, I think there would be less killings. I'm not saying it'd solve anything, but in the end it would lead to less killings.
that too . but it really bothers me that every time such a thing happens they try explaining it  as the shooter being being a victim of circumstance
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
im just thinking would that even get past the Freedom of Information Act?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
im just thinking would that even get past the Freedom of Information Act?
Where in the act does it force media to make being a murderer into a lifestyle choice? And make him into a hero for people looking to be famous martyr?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)