Topic Wiki

1) The Holocaust happened because Jews were unable to obtain guns due to Poland's notoriously strict gun laws.
2) The left wants an absolute gun ban - no guns at all, any type, for anyone, ever.
3) The right wants mass shootings, especially school shootings.
4) Everyone agrees we need to require better background checks and use more discretion in handing out gun licenses.
4.a The right cannot pass such legislation because it is a slippery slope to banning all guns, everywhere, for everyone.
4.b The left cannot pass such legislation because it is not enough.
5)  Every school in the US should have metal detectors at the entrance, be surrounded by a 30' cement wall and have armed guards in every classroom and hallway. The more guns around kids the better.
6) 7 year olds going through half an hour of security theater every day just to go to school is a perfectly normal and acceptable solution.
7) The second amendment entitles every US citizen to an AR-15.
8 ) Laws don't prevent crimes.
9) Guns don't kill people
10) Stats prove my side of the argument 100% correct. (D)
11) Stats prove my side of the argument 100% correct  (R)

Author Topic: Parkland, FL 2/14/18 School Shooting, 17 Killed (Another mass shooting!)  (Read 199170 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Another mass shooting!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
i would say the copycat factor is real but i dont see  the media as being complicit
https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/915274076586995714

For starters. There's more out there.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
I'm sickened by my fellow Republicans' unwillingness to ban most guns. It's Republican selfishness of the highest level. Other people should get killed all the time, but don't take away my gun.

Which guns should they ban?

Semi-automatics kill the most people in mass shootings, but basic handguns are still responsible for the vast majority of homicides. Wouldn’t one argue that if we are going to ban guns it should be all guns?

Now, suppose Congress and the SCOTUS approve banning all guns, what happens from there? Does Jose the drug dealer from down the block just turn in his weapon? Do millions of homeowners across America turn in their weapons? What about their hunting rifles and shotguns? Do thousands of gun stores close down their business?

You can’t walk back 200 years of tradition. Guns are a part of American culture.

It’s EASIER to implement airport-level security at every school, university, stadium and office in America than to ban guns. If anything, we should fight and press for security which is achievable and a realistic goal.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
Apt buildings, schools, shuls, etc in Sao Paulo all have double gates with a guard that has to vet you to get past the 2nd gate. There is no back access point.

This is how it SHOULD be here in the U.S. as well. We are way to content and unwilling to be bothered by it.

It will mean that a half hour of school is shaved off in the morning so the kids can get through security, but it’s still absolutely necessary.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »
How about military style assault rifles? I have owned guns my whole life. I would bet I own more guns than 99.9% of members here. What useful purpose does this gun serve? How about HCM (high capacity magazines)? Did we ban bump stocks yet? You want me to keep going?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2018, 09:52:25 PM »
How about making a death penalty for any mass shooter that kills 2 or more people on scene. Would that help reduce casualties? Combined with no media being allowed to mention names or pictures of shooters. With more people carrying non lethal weapons. With more security.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 09:55:36 PM »
How about making a death penalty for any mass shooter that kills 2 or more people on scene. Would that help reduce casualties? Combined with no media being allowed to mention names or pictures of shooters. With more people carrying non lethal weapons. With more security.
I don't have a problem trying any of those. What do you mean "on scene"?

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 09:55:56 PM »
Sao Paulo style security? In Canada, Europe, Australia etc.. there's no need for such security. You seriously would trade the "privilege" of a third world lifestyle for the "right" to have a fun?
BTW, it's funny how people pick "rights"!
The Supreme Court has decided on all sorts of social rights that most second amendment fans are horrified by.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
How about military style assault rifles? I have owned guns my whole life. I would bet I own more guns than 99.9% of members here. What useful purpose does this gun serve? How about HCM (high capacity magazines)? Did we ban bump stocks yet? You want me to keep going?

I can get on board with that, but how would you make this argument before congress?

“Senator, we believe that military-style weapons, which are responsible for about 2% of gun crimes should be banned. Also, if a mass shooter was armed with nothing but two handguns, he would only be able to kill 10 people instead of 35. Also, even though 98% of homicides are committed with handguns, we believe those should not be banned because good people need them for protection. As for the good people that own assault weapons, tough luck on them, they need to turn those in or be arrested”.

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 10:03:20 PM »

Semi-automatics kill the most people in mass shootings, but basic handguns are still responsible for the vast majority of homicides. Wouldn’t one argue that if we are going to ban guns it should be all guns?

Now, suppose Congress and the SCOTUS approve banning all guns, what happens from there? Does Jose the drug dealer from down the block just turn in his weapon? Do millions of homeowners across America turn in their weapons? What about their hunting rifles and shotguns? Do thousands of gun stores close down their business?

You can’t walk back 200 years of tradition. Guns are a part of American culture.

It’s EASIER to implement airport-level security at every school, university, stadium and office in America than to ban guns. If anything, we should fight and press for security which is achievable and a realistic goal.
They shouldn't ban them. They should tax them. Big time. At the manufacturer level. Thousands of dollars per new gun. And offer tax credit or other incentives to turn in old ones. Eventually pass a federal tax on keeping existing guns. Don't turn in your guns? Tax lien on your house!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 10:08:01 PM »
I can get on board with that, but how would you make this argument before congress?

“Senator, we believe that military-style weapons, which are responsible for about 2% of gun crimes should be banned. Also, if a mass shooter was armed with nothing but two handguns, he would only be able to kill 10 people instead of 35. Also, even though 98% of homicides are committed with handguns, we believe those should not be banned because good people need them for protection. As for the good people that own assault weapons, tough luck on them, they need to turn those in or be arrested”.
Look, we have many different gun problems. We can continue ban guns vs do nothing and watch this happen at an accelerated pace. Or we can try an idea from both sides and see if it helps. If everyone would look at this as if it was their own son or daughter that was killed we would get somewhere.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
They shouldn't ban them. They should tax them. Big time. At the manufacturer level. Thousands of dollars per new gun. And offer tax credit or other incentives to turn in old ones. Eventually pass a federal tax on keeping existing guns. Don't turn in your guns? Tax lien on your house!
That is a good idea. Then you would be hearing the R's screaming what about the poor people, they can't afford a gun.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:06 PM »
That would allow using the tax code to penalize any freedom. Tax religion. Tax speech. Not even a slippery slope it is what they would be doing.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »
Sao Paulo style security? In Canada, Europe, Australia etc.. there's no need for such security. You seriously would trade the "privilege" of a third world lifestyle for the "right" to have a fun?
BTW, it's funny how people pick "rights"!
The Supreme Court has decided on all sorts of social rights that most second amendment fans are horrified by.

There is need for such security, but because crime is rare we become content with not having it.

If you drove for 30 years and never had a single accident, then someone offered to sell you a car in perfect mint condition for 1/4 the market value, but the car had no airbags or seatbelts, would you buy it? If you were fine for the first 30 years why not assume you will be fine forever?

“It doesn’t happen here” is always true... until it does. We need this security, we just don’t want to be bothered by it.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »

Death penalty won't scare them more then life behind bars.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
I don't have a problem trying any of those. What do you mean "on scene"?
What I meant was the ones that count towards the number two should be fatal shots (killed on scene). Not non fatal shots that killed from let's say bleeding.

If it was up to me personally, I would without a doubt implement a death penalty on even one. But due to people's mercy I don't think people would agree in this crazy world.

Therefore I would propose a law that would try to instill any sort of thinking on the perpetrator. If the law is after two people killed then the perpetrator might want to only kill the main person that they have a grudge against. Same for lethal shots. Trying to give an incentive not to kill but to injure.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
Look, we have many different gun problems. We can continue ban guns vs do nothing and watch this happen at an accelerated pace. Or we can try an idea from both sides and see if it helps. If everyone would look at this as if it was their own son or daughter that was killed we would get somewhere.

Shouldn’t we aim for that which is possible?

Americans aren’t giving up their guns.

The only possible way to curb this situation is to have airport-level security in every school, and basic double-gated security at every synagogue and church.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2018, 10:26:27 PM »

Death penalty won't scare them more then life behind bars.
I think a publicly available video of the death penalty being carried out would do wonders for that concern.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2018, 10:27:24 PM »
What I meant was the ones that count towards the number two should be fatal shots (killed on scene). Not non fatal shots that killed from let's say bleeding.

If it was up to me personally, I would without a doubt implement a death penalty on even one. But due to people's mercy I don't think people would agree in this crazy world.

Therefore I would propose a law that would try to instill any sort of thinking on the perpetrator. If the law is after two people killed then the perpetrator might want to only kill the main person that they have a grudge against. Same for lethal shots. Trying to give an incentive not to kill but to injure.
no killer goes in their thinking through the consequences in a logical matter. they go in thinking that their is potential to get killed by responding law enforcement
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2018, 10:28:09 PM »
BDE jamie gutenberg
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:34 PM »
That would allow using the tax code to penalize any freedom. Tax religion. Tax speech. Not even a slippery slope it is what they would be doing.
+1