Author Topic: Problem with Elal and Baal teshuva whose father is Muslim...advice?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Leah613

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Crazy story
I do NOT mean to bash Elal. BH EY have had MANY attempted terrorist attempts thwarted.
and I Do not know how serious his allegations of stolen belongings is. See below- any advice? this is a student we purchased a ticket for to attend a baal teshuva yeshiva:

My moms family is all Jewish and my dad's dad is Muslim, from turkey and his mom from Canada. El al was not too happy about my having Muslim family in Turkey. Before I could even check in for my flight, I was held for nearly three hours as they asked any question you could think of regarding my Turkish family. I was one of the first people in line to check in and I was the dead last to get through. Because of my family history, I have gotten used to the extra questioning since this is my fifth time in Israel. It happens every time, but this time was so much worse. They then told me at check in that I had to take my computer out of my carry on and put in into my checked bag. They didn’t make any other passengers do that and gave me no reason for it. Once I got through security is where the real problems started. After the hours of questioning, the director of el al security again pulled me aside and accused me of bringing a Muslim prayer rug into Israel, as if it was illegal. It was only my bath towel. Finally, as I am waiting in the line to board, xxxxx and I were asked to go into the side room next to the gate. They frisked both of us from head to toe and then completely picked apart both of our carry ons. They took out all of my electronics and told me that they had to put them in my checked bag. They gave me no reason. They also refused to let me take my sleeping pills into the plane, With no reason. Once in the plane, the director of security again approached me and told me that they had taken my hard drive and to give him an address in Israel to send it to. They did this without my permission and completely unofficially. I wrote my address on a scratch piece of paper that the director just shoved into his pocket. No official paperwork or anything like that. Once I got to Israel, I realized that the el al employees that had searched my checked bag (where I had packed my “prayer rug”) I realized that they had also taken my deodorant, razor refills, my sunglasses and some really nice cologne that my parents had bought me for Hanukkah. I haven’t received any emails or confirmation that they have my property and are sending it to me, so I am assuming that I will never see any of it again.
I am sorry for the long write up. I can’t do it now, but I’m the morning I will send you what I sent to the travel agent just in case I left anything out. I feel that I was simply punished for having Muslim family despite the fact that I have been to Israel five times and even stayed for a year on a student visa. I hope that I can get compensated for my property and a refund for my flight home. It would be nice to talk to you and xxxxxxx on the phone soon, because aside from that everything is going great!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Problem with Elal and Baal teshuva whose father is Muslim...advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
Why would you fly El Al? They're well known for their tight security...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »

I dont think that is a good enough excuse for such a crazy story...

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:30:29 PM »
I dont think that is a good enough excuse for such a crazy story...
It's not but Dan's point still stands.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Leah613

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »
I exaggerated when I said his father was Muslim to make shorter title (father is from Muslim family), I didnt know this info when we booked it. What does he know he is new at yeshiva and not even shomer mitzvahs yet
My question 9s what can we do? its one thing security its another to take things

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
Doubt there's anything you can do other than post on FB on forums like this.

Next time fly another airline :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Leah613

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
thx Dan!

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
Crazy story
I do NOT mean to bash Elal. BH EY have had MANY attempted terrorist attempts thwarted.
and I Do not know how serious his allegations of stolen belongings is. See below- any advice? this is a student we purchased a ticket for to attend a baal teshuva yeshiva:

My moms family is all Jewish and my dad's dad is Muslim, from turkey and his mom from Canada. El al was not too happy about my having Muslim family in Turkey. Before I could even check in for my flight, I was held for nearly three hours as they asked any question you could think of regarding my Turkish family. I was one of the first people in line to check in and I was the dead last to get through. Because of my family history, I have gotten used to the extra questioning since this is my fifth time in Israel. It happens every time, but this time was so much worse. They then told me at check in that I had to take my computer out of my carry on and put in into my checked bag. They didn’t make any other passengers do that and gave me no reason for it. Once I got through security is where the real problems started. After the hours of questioning, the director of el al security again pulled me aside and accused me of bringing a Muslim prayer rug into Israel, as if it was illegal. It was only my bath towel. Finally, as I am waiting in the line to board, xxxxx and I were asked to go into the side room next to the gate. They frisked both of us from head to toe and then completely picked apart both of our carry ons. They took out all of my electronics and told me that they had to put them in my checked bag. They gave me no reason. They also refused to let me take my sleeping pills into the plane, With no reason. Once in the plane, the director of security again approached me and told me that they had taken my hard drive and to give him an address in Israel to send it to. They did this without my permission and completely unofficially. I wrote my address on a scratch piece of paper that the director just shoved into his pocket. No official paperwork or anything like that. Once I got to Israel, I realized that the el al employees that had searched my checked bag (where I had packed my “prayer rug”) I realized that they had also taken my deodorant, razor refills, my sunglasses and some really nice cologne that my parents had bought me for Hanukkah. I haven’t received any emails or confirmation that they have my property and are sending it to me, so I am assuming that I will never see any of it again.
I am sorry for the long write up. I can’t do it now, but I’m the morning I will send you what I sent to the travel agent just in case I left anything out. I feel that I was simply punished for having Muslim family despite the fact that I have been to Israel five times and even stayed for a year on a student visa. I hope that I can get compensated for my property and a refund for my flight home. It would be nice to talk to you and xxxxxxx on the phone soon, because aside from that everything is going great!
Twitter war with el Al....

Offline DTM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
Extraordinary, non-PC, security is necessary and appropriate on El Al flights to Israel as they are obvious targets for terrorism. I, for one, appreciate and feel safer for those efforts. In the US the routine random pat downs without discrimination, avoiding non-PC targeting of more likely suspects, are foolish.       

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »
They just need to put a virus on his laptop.