Are You An Organ Donor?

Yes.
1 (3.3%)
No.
29 (96.7%)
Undecided.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Are You An Organ Donor?  (Read 21302 times)

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Are You An Organ Donor?
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
Because it is the harvesting process which is the issue. Once you are past that process it may as well be used.
I dont think they understand that in order to get a live organ someone has to die as a result of removal of the organ. @ChaimMoskowitz deems death to occur when there is no brain activity. We, as Orthodox Jews do not hold that belief. Therefore, someone on life support, even with no brain activity is deemed living and removal of their organs is tantamount to killing that person.

It is that simple.

So the real difference in opinion between CM and us relates to the pulling the plug and when does death occur questions.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
I dont think they understand that in order to get a live organ someone has to die as a result of removal of the organ. @ChaimMoskowitz deems death to occur when there is no brain activity. We, as Orthodox Jews do not hold that belief. Therefore, someone on life support, even with no brain activity is deemed living and removal of their organs is tantamount to killing that person.

It is that simple.

So the real difference in opinion between CM and us relates to the pulling the plug and when does death occur questions.

Yes, but i think we believe in that standard for him as well. It is only that it was already done (possibly by someone who does not believe in that standard) which makes the difference.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
The difference is your religion or mine does not dictate the laws in this country. A person is legally dead based on our laws not religious views.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »
The difference is your religion or mine does not dictate the laws in this country. A person is legally dead based on our laws not religious views.
Legal death plays no role in our religious views, which is what dictates such things, like keeping one alive
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
And the standard for issuance of a death certificate in every municipality in this country is still when the heart stops beating in that person. So you may be allowed to  pull the plug but before that plug is pulled there is no legal death.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
 As an aside, by being an organ donor your death  becomes much more valuable to the medical field than your life. Ask icu personnel how/if this affects how they treat patients.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2018, 03:33:50 PM »
no one here was really discussing the legality of being a donor. rest assured youre not breaking any laws if you decide to become a donor. we on the other have to follow the law and the torah ( which is why if the law would change that you are required to become  a organ donor we would sue for the law that allows religious freedom)
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
As an aside, by being an organ donor your death  becomes much more valuable to the medical field than your life. Ask icu personnel how/if this affects how they treat patients.
I doubt that ICU patients are the source of many organ donations.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »
no one here was really discussing the legality of being a donor. rest assured youre not breaking any laws if you decide to become a donor. we on the other have to follow the law and the torah ( which is why if the law would change that you are required to become  a organ donor we would sue for the law that allows religious freedom)
I am not talking about the legality of being a donor. If you can only use organs once a person is deceased then that is the issue. For being deceased do you go by religious law or the laws of the land? Are they one in the same?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »
And this is why I agree with @aygart for not wanting to take part in this discussion anymore.

PM sent

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
I am not talking about the legality of being a donor. If you can only use organs once a person is deceased then that is the issue. For being deceased do you go by religious law or the laws of the land? Are they one in the same?
We can only harvest or allow to be harvested. We have no say in the matter of what those who do not follow Judaism do.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline rs242

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »
So if the government passes a law that women are allowed to have a abortion at any point of pregnancy even if it’s against our religion or yours  (and every moral fiber in our body) we should do it because the government said it’s ok?? (Disclaimer I don’t read the politics thread and have no idea your ideology on this)

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »

I don’t read the politics thread

(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
So if the government passes a law that women are allowed to have a abortion at any point of pregnancy even if it’s against our religion or yours  (and every moral fiber in our body) we should do it because the government said it’s ok?? (Disclaimer I don’t read the politics thread and have no idea your ideology on this)
I would personally be against it. Not sure what you asking me.