Author Topic: Attitudes towards body odors in various cultures (aka is deodorant permissible)  (Read 19829 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Can we just have the thread deleted?
You didn't have any problem when talking about others.  ::)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
You seem informed give me your #
Not sure why, but I'll oblige. I counted at least 23 which are definitely inaccurate (most of them are obvious (sad) jokes). Of the other 81, there are lots of repetitive ones...

46 (Why would this be a rule? Chasidish suits and Bekishes only come like this)
58 (Not all Bucherim wear הויזן זאקן)
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Not sure why, but I'll oblige. I counted at least 23 which are definitely inaccurate (most of them are obvious (sad) jokes). Of the other 81, there are lots of repetitive ones...

46 (Why would this be a rule? Chasidish suits and Bekishes only come like this)
58 (Not all Bucherim wear הויזן זאקן)

That seems extremely low. I was hoping to hear that 90% are false or jokes.
Sad.
Visibly Jewish

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
That seems extremely low. I was hoping to hear that 90% are false or jokes.
Sad.
There are definitely some that are true, we all know that Ger is a bit extreme. I'm not a Gerer, so I can't comment on specifics
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
You didn't have any problem when talking about others.  ::)
I was very careful not to speak in the way that this thread has degenerated to.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
I was very careful not to speak in the way that this thread has degenerated to.
True.
What if I said on a flight from JFK>TLV the individuals smelled so bad they had to fumigate the plane. I would imagine that it only bothers people who aren't from that culture. Would that be ok?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
True.
What if I said on a flight from JFK>TLV the individuals smelled so bad they had to fumigate the plane. I would imagine that it only bothers people who aren't from that culture. Would that be ok?

I have a feeling that many here would agree with you, but they would be as wrong then as they are now.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
There are definitely some that are true, we all know that Ger is a bit extreme. I'm not a Gerer, so I can't comment on specifics

Most of us have a different mesorah of how married life/ spousal relationships should be and how single boys and girls should comport themselves. Yet if we were to look at the lifestyle say, in the Arabian countries in the time of the Rambam (for examples see the other threads about women not leaving the home in the time of the Rambam etc.) we would find it unsettling. Do we have a right to judge their lifestyle? I don’t think so. Similarly we may not be comfortable with the Gerrer system, but that doesn’t give us the right to denigrate it from our self-appointed position as the embodiment of the ideal culture... ...

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
Most of us have a different mesorah of how married life/ spousal relationships should be and how single boys and girls should comport themselves. Yet if we were to look at the lifestyle say, in the Arabian countries in the time of the Rambam (for examples see the other threads about women not leaving the home in the time of the Rambam etc.) we would find it unsettling. Do we have a right to judge their lifestyle? I don’t think so. Similarly we may not be comfortable with the Gerrer system, but that doesn’t give us the right to denigrate it from our self-appointed position as the embodiment of the ideal culture... ...
I fully agree with you, I was trying to prove that the list is wrong and disgusting, it's factually incorrect and is just to bash Ger
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
Spousal /woman abuse or neglect is never ok though. It should be judged.

Not saying it applies here, but you brought up different cultures and times.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
True.
@yitzgar was telling a story of his own personal experience and observation, where presumably the flight attendants were of similar ethnicity as the passengers.

It is obvious that in certain cultures the odors are more socially acceptable. I am just wondering how that might be the case? Which is why I asked:

What's up with these people? Do they have some kind of desensitized sense of smell? Is it at all acceptable coming from people in an official position in an international airport, which IINM is one of the top 10 for the number of passengers going through?

FTR. I personally am highly sensitive to odors. Many perfumes make me almost as uncomfortable.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
True.
I specifically mentioned that I thought it was not a matter of bad hygiene, but something that bothers people from a different culture because they don't eat the same food. Very different from the condescending tone it feel others have used

Online aygart

• View Profile
I specifically mentioned that I thought it was not a matter of bad hygiene, but something that bothers people from a different culture because they don't eat the same food. Very different from the condescending tone it feel others have used
So if would say that it stinks like herring you would be okay?

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
Definitely less condescending. There's nothing wrong with eating herring. Someone who doesn't eat it constantly might be bothered by the smell, but that's just a cultural difference, not something negative

Online aygart

• View Profile
Definitely less condescending. There's nothing wrong with eating herring. Someone who doesn't eat it constantly might be bothered by the smell, but that's just a cultural difference, not something negative
So if some blogger would write that their elal flight smelled like a mix of salty fish and mikva chlorine and he found out to be disgusting but maybe it is just a cultural thing you would be okay with that?

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
So if some blogger would write that their elal flight smelled like a mix of salty fish and mikva chlorine and he found out to be disgusting but maybe it is just a cultural thing you would be okay with that?
Everything depends how it's written. I think if you read my original post it's clear that it was not meant in a negative way, rather than some other posts

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Hey, I can't be racist, some of my best friends stink.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
In my household the contrasts are as obvious as they can get.

My wife considers the scent of Herring to “stink” and won’t let kids who consumed it at a kiddush come close to her, while she loves the scent of windex. I, on the other hand, cannot stand the scent of windex, yet will indulge and enjoy as much schmaltz herring as I can have. So to me the term “stinks” isn’t derogatory. It just defines people’s intolerance to various odors.

I can appreciate the diversity of odor tolerance. What I can’t understand is when there’s no awareness to an odor so strong that it carries to a distance, and that in a certain setting would be considered repulsive to most.
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Deodarent is never needed. use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWB8ESU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a skin condition where I cant use aluminum, the Toms of maine stuff is ok but doesnt do the job. One squirt of this, clean your underarms daily and you'll never smell again.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Deodarent is never needed. use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWB8ESU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a skin condition where I cant use aluminum, the Toms of maine stuff is ok but doesnt do the job. One squirt of this, clean your underarms daily and you'll never smell again.
Are you offering to sponsor some for http://www.gozensecurity.com/en ?

Anti perspirants contain aluminum. Deodorants don’t. Some deodorants contain silver particles which do a great job in killing the odor microbes.
-- Dan