Author Topic: Attitudes towards body odors in various cultures (aka is deodorant permissible)  (Read 19840 times)

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Sweat actually contains pheromones. In many societies sweaty handkerchiefs etc were used to court and attract women. In fact studies show that modern women are significantly attracted to even below average looking men when exposed to articles of their clothing, t-shirts etc. that contain their pheromones. So b.o. is really a matter of culture rather than an absolute negative.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Sweat actually contains pheromones. In many societies sweaty handkerchiefs etc were used to court and attract women. In fact studies show that modern women are significantly attracted to even below average looking men when exposed to articles of their clothing, t-shirts etc. that contain their pheromones. So b.o. is really a matter of culture rather than an absolute negative.
There’s a huge difference between the odor of fresh sweat and that of sweat that is a few hours (or days) old.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I specifically mentioned that I thought it was not a matter of bad hygiene, but something that bothers people from a different culture because they don't eat the same food. Very different from the condescending tone it feel others have used
Ok I am confused as usual. What type of smell are you talking about? Clothes, bad breath, body odor or something else?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Ok I am confused as usual. What type of smell are you talking about? Clothes, bad breath, body odor or something else?
I would imagine either clothes or body odor, however, I was assuming that it was a smell which comes from certain foods, as it did not smell like conventional body odor (ie sweat)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

Fenugreek (known as חילבה) is extremely healthy, and many people like it, but it is known to bring about enduring body odors.

But what I was referring to in the OP about my IST experience was just the odor that comes from sweat.

If you're unfamiliar, start with Wikipedia.
-- Dan

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
https://twitter.com/InbarBezek/status/1290994268484575233

Tweet by current MK (not sure if she was an MK at the time of tweet)
-- Dan