Author Topic: Good credit and still getting denied!  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Yos

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Good credit and still getting denied!
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »
I have applied to 3 CC in the past year and have been declined for all of them. I figured that since I don't have a lot of credit history, i didn't have a good score. I signed up for a free 30 day trial at myfico.com, and saw that my credit score is not so bad- 713. Does anybody have any idea why I would have been denied or what I can do to get credit cards in the near future (I am really anxious to start "playing the millage game)?
I'd appreciate any ideas or possibilities that anyone can give me.

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Good credit and still getting denied!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:03:17 AM »
apply for student cards to jump start your credit score

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »
I have applied to 3 CC in the past year and have been declined for all of them. I figured that since I don't have a lot of credit history, i didn't have a good score. I signed up for a free 30 day trial at myfico.com, and saw that my credit score is not so bad- 713. Does anybody have any idea why I would have been denied or what I can do to get credit cards in the near future (I am really anxious to start "playing the millage game)?
I'd appreciate any ideas or possibilities that anyone can give me.
What credit cards do you currently have?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yos

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I have a store credit card from Target, and I applied for a student card from Wachovia (where I have a long standing account), and a low credit score card from Capital One, both of which I have been declined for.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:21:55 AM »
Get a card from Gap, spend a few dollars on it for a few consecutive months, and then try again applying for a real card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yos

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 02:38:19 AM »
Thanks for the response and advice. I was trying to accomplish building credit through having the Target card, but I will try the Gap card and hope that helps.
What is the normal score that they are looking for with good CC (Starwood, Airline cards, etc.)? I thought that anything over 700 was considered decent?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »
It's not only about the score-it's about the history, amount of cards, and utilized credit % that they really card about...

Offline corny

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »
check what % you are using with the gap card, there might be a really low limit and you are going to the max which is really bad, you should not use more than 50% [better yet 25]

Offline Yos

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
Just a small update: I got credit reports from all 3 major bureaus, and saw that 2 of them had some weird stuff that had crept up there that didn't belong there. I disputed all of the issued.
Just a few days ago, I was at the bank and they asked me if I wanted to apply for a CC. I said that I would like one, but that I doubted if I would be approved. She checked and told me that I had been pre-approved for $9,000. Let's hope that means my issues with credit are over.