Author Topic: Asia Kids Trip with Shabbos Minyanim, Excellent Food & Private Family Swimming!  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I'm sure I am not the only one waiting in suspense to learn about that creative solution in the next episode....

Sorry guys I was drowning in work after my trip but am gonna try to do a nice next installment tomorrow! :)

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
dont you get the 5th night free with HH points? Why did you only stay 4 nights?

You only get a free 5th night on a standard redemption and I went back and forth about how to book it and finally decided to just pony up and pay the boatload of points for a Residence for 4 nights rather than two standard rooms. If we go back, I think I have an even better way to redeem for a family that Iíll lay out for you all too. :)

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
Weekend in Hong Kong

There are tons of great TRs to Hong Kong so I'm going to keep this relatively short and try to put in things that I think are new, helpful or different.  We landed about 7AM on Friday morning.  We went straight to our hotel, the Royal Garden, which is about half a block to Kehillat Zion synagogue and I would HIGHLY recommend it.  It is MUCH closer than the Sheraton, Intercontinental or other hotels.  I'd say any toddler that could walk, could make the walk over to shul on Shabbos.  The stairways are open and we didn't have any problem accessing them to walk down.  I booked here because I didn't want to blow my SPG points on the Sheraton, for a pretty cruddy redemption and this hotel was the same price as the Sheraton (but WAY closer) and half the paid rate of the Shangri-la.  It was about $250 a night (which I used free hotels.com nights that I had) and they offered me to upgrade to a family suite for about $40 a night and that was the best move ever, so I thought I'd let people know that is an option and if you book here, you can ask for that at check-in.

This is a picture taken from our room that shows how close it is to the KZ shul.  The flags are at the Shangri-La hotel and just one door past that is the shul.

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived and so we dropped our bags and immediately headed over to check out exactly where KZ was (they had finished Shacharit already) and then left to take the Star Ferry to Hong Kong Island.  Everyone said it was "so close" and easy to find and maybe it was because I was with a cranky, tired Kindergartner but it took us a while and it was kind of complicated to figure out how to cross the huge street and find the dock (although passing the IC and Sheraton along the way after already walking 10 minutes definitely made us appreciate what a great location our hotel was, very close to the shul).

Walking over the overpass to get to the dockside (it was hard to figure out how to enter and go where we wanted).  The pollution was also horrific while we were there and this picture actually is relatively "clear" where we could see HKI in the distance.  Some locals told us the winds this time of year blow tons of pollution from the factories in China.

We took the ferry over and then waited a long time for the public bus to the tram depot and then again in a surprisingly long line (for early Friday morning) for Victoria's Peak Tram.  Honestly, if the weather isn't pretty, I wouldn't recommend going on it, as it was a huge hassle and very expensive.  This is a pic I took from the tram.  I didn't take any from the peak because it literally looked like we were in the middle of a cloud.  We were at least smart enough to see how bad the lines were and only purchased a one way from the depot.

After we got to the top, we literally hung out for like 5 minutes (because we couldn't see anything) and then hopped in a cab to leave.  :-\  We went to the dairy restaurant in the JCC and it was really nice.  It's a great little space, with nice decor.  We got great food, with pizza, pastas, soup and caesar salad.  If you are staying on HKI they will also deliver to you via an app.

We then headed back home (again with a cab because no koach to deal with anything else).  We all crashed for naps and then got ready for an awesome Shabbos at KZ shul...more detailed and interesting posts to come soon!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:41:50 PM by Denverite »

Offline voldemort

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Great read so far! 

Btw the IC Grand Stanford is only a few minutes walk from KZ,the IC Hong Kong is probably the one you passed after 10 minutes. But yeah, the Royal Garden is still closer.

Offline DTM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks! Nice first day, Kudos upon hitting the ground running upon arrival. Pollution is a big problem in parts of China, and varies from time to time. We had it bad one morning in Beijing and the weather reports called it sand storms, which is official double-speak to cover up its true nature. No EPA there. Anyway, that JCC is a great resource for Kosher travelers. Did you stay long enough to make it to the Sunday night Buffet? I guess we will find out in the next installment....
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST, THEN PLEASE PRESS LIKE.  :)

Offline DTM

• View Profile

It's actually only 5 of us (3 kids) and I did only pay for one room at Marina Bay sands.  They are super strict about only allowing 4 people per room (and give you a card for each person to enter the pool and viewing area) plus I refuse to be squashed in one room with my family (others are makpid about flying only in F and J and this is one of my things I need for an enjoyable vacation) so I think I came up with a creative solution that y'all DDFers will like and will explain in that section of the TR!  :P

It could be you're busy, especially before Pesach  :), but know that your DDF trip report readers are looking forward to the next installment and probably curious, as I am, about that creative solution. 

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Anxiously waiting for more of this trip review!

Offline runnergirl

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; American Airlines Gold;
Awesome!  Can't wait for the next part of the TR!

Offline DTM

• View Profile
Awesome!  Can't wait for the next part of the TR!
Patience is a virtue. Iím sure Denverite will get to it due course and not disappoint us.  :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
@Denverite Don't leave us hanging :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
We just need to send biweekly reminders.
Or maybe a real masterpiece just needs more time....
I'll tell you later

Online Moshe26

• View Profile
We just need to send biweekly reminders.
maybe monthly reminders will work :D

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
Okay mea culpa for my lack of posts, I took a hiatus from logging in but Iím back and will BĒH work on this when Iím back from my current vacation (in Panama) :P

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
You only get a free 5th night on a standard redemption and I went back and forth about how to book it and finally decided to just pony up and pay the boatload of points for a Residence for 4 nights rather than two standard rooms. If we go back, I think I have an even better way to redeem for a family that Iíll lay out for you all too. :)

And that's the penthouse :)
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=90411.0

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
And that's the penthouse :)
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=90411.0

Your stay and unit was awesome but thatís not how Iíd book it if I stayed again. Hint: I want the sunken dining table inside the pool.  :P