Author Topic: BDE 11 year old frum boy commits suicide  (Read 32687 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
BDE 11 year old frum boy commits suicide
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:32:30 AM »
http://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=49572&alias=aaron-benayoun-11-obm

Word going around is that it was kids bullying

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: BDE 11 year old frum boy commits suicide
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:35:05 AM »

http://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=49572&alias=aaron-benayoun-11-obm

Word going around is that it was kids bullying

Nebach. Where does it indicate suicide?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:37:50 AM »
BH I was lucky, while there were many instances where I was teased and bullied, I grew up with the same group of kids who treated me as their own. I only wish we went to high school together.

But God in Heaven!! How can it be that an 11 year old is bullied to the point where he takes his own life ?!

Yes yes yes yes  x10000 the jewish education system has failed!!

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:38:39 AM »

Nebach. Where does it indicate suicide?

I live in NMB.. the school sent out a letter.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:15 AM »
BH I was lucky, while there were many instances where I was teased and bullied, I grew up with the same group of kids who treated me as their own. I only wish we went to high school together.

But God in Heaven!! How can it be that an 11 year old is bullied to the point where he takes his own life ?!

In this point, I couldn't  agree more.
An 11 who is at the point, that not only wants to take his life, but actually carries through. Blows my mind. And truthfully I feel sorry for the classmates who caused this, they are to stupid to understand, yet they will live with this for the rest if their lives. May this be a lesson, and be a talking point.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:42:37 AM by davidrotts63 »

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:43:13 AM »
He was in middle of switching schools. I dont know the details and circumstances but kids can be and often are cruel.. Especially rich brats but not limited to.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:45:45 AM »
He was in middle of switching schools. I dont know the details and circumstances but kids can be and often are cruel.. Especially rich brats but not limited to.
Bullying in school is not limited to anyone. It's universal, in every culture. But in many places IMO it definitely is overlooked, and is a huge problem. Not just in terms of suicide, people cab live through it, yet still be haunted for life.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 12:51:10 AM »

Very sad story.

Obviously Jewish schools need to do a better job monitoring kids and not allowing a bullying mentality to be tolerated but this is a problem in all schools both private and public, not just jewish schools. Additionally, bullying often stems from poor family dynamics or as a result of being bullied or abused at some point which can make it more difficult for a school to deal with.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:27 AM »
Unfortunately schools aren't always even being made aware of the situation.  Sometimes even parents don't know.

That being said from the people I know personally with kids that were being bullied many of the more religious schools were much more willing to let kids get away with things.
Especially the boy schools. The girl schools seem to be a little less tolerant of such things.

That all aside... This is such an awful story.

Nowadays you really have to take these things very seriously.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
Yesterday the school sent out a few of emails regarding this...

Being proactive or crisis mode?

1 email.
"Dear Parents,

Our hearts are shattered at the news that a former student of ours, 5th Grader Aaron Benayoun z'l, died yesterday.  Ours is not to delve into specifics, to conjecture as to causes etc. Our concern now is for Aaron z'l's family, and our responsibility and concern is to our students, former classmates and schoolmates of Aaron z'l, and his 2nd Grade brother Asher.

The principals, school counselors, along with classroom and ACE teachers where appropriate, after extensive consultation with crisis and trauma experts from Chai Lifeline, are going into each elementary school classroom, grades 2 and up, to inform the children and to help them process their feelings.  Many of them wrote letters or drawings, to be shared with the family. We are letting you, the parents know what is happening, and to offer some guidance in dealing with your child(ren) when they come home this afternoon.

We shared, in an age-appropriate manner that something went terribly wrong for Aaron yesterday, and he died as a result.  In response to children’s questions as to the cause, we explained we don’t know, and the focus needs to be on mourning with the family and processing our feelings.

There is no one or correct way that children or adults react to grief and trauma.  Everyone follows their own timetable, their own intensity and their own way of demonstrating their feelings.  Children look to their own parents' reactions, to guide how they should be feeling. Parents should be totally non-judgmental about Aaron z'l and his family.  Parents should be totally open and accepting of whatever their child says or doesn't say.  Let your child's reactions guide you. The goal should be to get the children to open up, and for parents to validate their feelings, while correcting any informational inaccuracies.

This is clearly unprecedented for all of us.  We cannot take away the pain, but we can help ourselves and our children to be able to move on in a healthy manner.  Hashem runs the world, everything He does is for the best, but from our very limited perspective, we are at a loss to understand it. 

We will be sharing more insights and information in the days ahead, IY'H. There will be a teleconference this evening with Dr. David Fox and Mrs. Zahava Farbman of Chai Lifeline. The particulars will be forwarded to you when they become available.  Please feel free to contact any one of us in school to help you navigate this tragedy that has pierced our children's world.

With broken hearts,

Rabbi Kalman Baumann     
Rabbi Noam Grossman 
Mrs. Miriam Deitsch   

Rabbi Yisroel Y. Niman
Rosh HaYeshiva"

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »
They should be told it was bullying. It needs to be a real danger. Of course some kids are so evil they wouldnt care

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
I've heard there were more issues than just bullying. Father lost his job, changing schools, new school didn't get paid or the registration wasn't finalized so the kids were sent home, etc.

Likely a confluence of factors here.

Painfully sad either way. Can't imagine an 11 year old feeling that desperate :'(
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:51 AM »
Being proactive or crisis mode?
It depends what they do next. If they ignore the bullying issue then you have your answer.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 09:31:31 AM »
They should be told it was bullying. It needs to be a real danger. Of course some kids are so evil they wouldnt care
Kids that bully are not evil. Stop. Really? Kids are kids. They do stupid things without thinking about the consequences. But to say theyre evil is really not true.

Having said that, I'm sickened by this story. I have an 11 year old and couldnt imagine a situation that would lead my kid to hurt herself, let alone... At that age theyre babies. How a kid at that age has the knowledge and wherewithal to think that suicide is even an option is eye-opening and very disturbing.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Shauly101

• View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »
How in the world does a 11 year old know about suicide?? This is heartbreaking.

What triggers someone to commit suicide?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »

When they think they have no other options. Having contemplated it in the worst of my times, I get it. But not at 11 years old. To think where are no better options at that age is heartbreaking. I was told that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and I was able to internalize it and rationally conclude that there must be better options. At some point all rational must leave to do this.   
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
Kids that bully are not evil. Stop. Really? Kids are kids. They do stupid things without thinking about the consequences. But to say theyre evil is really not true. .
not only are they not evil
truthfully I feel sorry for the classmates who caused this, they are too stupid to understand, yet they will live with this for the rest if their lives.
If it was something obvious, it's really the school to blame, or even possibly of it wasn't obvious

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
Painfully sad either way. Can't imagine an 11 year old feeling that desperate :'(
Having contemplated it in the worst of my times, I get it. But not at 11 years old.

As parents and society as a whole we need to educate ourselves on the warning signs. We need to demand our schools do more.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Yitzshpitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
As parents and society as a whole we need to educate ourselves on the warning signs. We need to demand our schools do more.

Parents also have to do more. Its a joint effort between parents/family and schools. There needs to be communication between the 2 parties so that warning signs can be identified. If a child is troubled we need to find out why and what we can do to address the issues.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
If it was something obvious, it's really the school to blame, or even possibly of it wasn't obvious
No its not the school to blame. Its not the schools job to raise our kids. Its their job to educate.