Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 154946 times)

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)
« Reply #1060 on: May 31, 2023, 11:20:28 AM »
One difference is that by elections for the government you have a government  that is controlling much of the citizens life whether they like it or not and the shaila is whether or not to get involved to save what you can. As opposed to willingly signing up as a member of an  organization in order to be able to steer some of their funds towards your interests and away from the interests of the reshaim.
Another significant difference is that in order to sign up for the wzo one has to sign a declaration that has aspects of kefira in it .No such declaration is required in order to vote for the knesset.
This is why we have Daas Torah guide us since we cannot make these Cheshbonos ourselves.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 31, 2023, 03:27:52 PM »
This is why we have Daas Torah guide us since we cannot make these Cheshbonos ourselves.

As long there is no gaboim/family members known to get the answers they want, especially from an 90 yr sheltered person.

כי השוחד יעוור עיני חכמים ויסלף דברי צדיקים

Why the change in language? The first one is referring to the smart (shrewd) gabai and he takes care of the following part...

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 31, 2023, 03:40:23 PM »
especially from an 90 yr sheltered person.
Daas come from Torah. Not from being exposed.

בֶּן בַּג בַּג אוֹמֵר, הֲפֹךְ בָּהּ וַהֲפֹךְ בָּהּ, דְּכֹלָּא בָהּ. וּבָהּ תֶּחֱזֵי, וְסִיב וּבְלֵה בָהּ, וּמִנַּהּ לֹא תָזוּעַ, שֶׁאֵין לְךָ מִדָּה טוֹבָה הֵימֶנָּה

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 31, 2023, 03:44:29 PM »
Daas come from Torah. Not from being exposed.

No one argues they don't have daas, just questioning what it really is.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 31, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
I wasn't making the cheshbon whether its muttar or not i was  arguing with this -
The same heter allowing to vote for Gimmel etc applies here. Take the Kol Koreh and switch the word eretz hakodesh with Gimmel, and you will see that this is no different. 

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1065 on: May 31, 2023, 05:14:02 PM »
As long there is no gaboim/family members known to get the answers they want, especially from an 90 yr sheltered person.

Are you seriously trying to make the argument that you could just pull the wool over his eyes?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 31, 2023, 05:24:47 PM »
\Quote from: rbs-g1.5 on Yesterday at 01:32:55 PM
At the time there were many people that were very upset at them because they did not accept the claim that the government would not  have otherwise allowed the americans in ,rather the "IGUD"  just got themselves in between the yeshivos and the misrad hapnim .The yeshivos were forced to work with them (for a hefty fee) because there was no other way to get a visa. Some believe that if they hadn't gotten themselves involved things would have been much simpler.

Based on my experiences here at the time, I believe that this belief is heavily influenced by what you opinion was of "Eretz Hakodesh" to begin with... but YEMV
I actually work in a yeshiva that the hanhala  had brought computers in so the bochurim could all vote for Eretz Hakodesh ,but during covid the same hanhala were very upset at them about this .

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 31, 2023, 06:49:42 PM »
Are you seriously trying to make the argument that you could just pull the wool over his eyes?

Are we deliberately being naïve here? They made him call Reb Shmuel Aurbach a זקן ממרא, it's on tape, among other things. Many things they did with him was a disgrace, including giving the Saint Bibi a special appointment to pay homage to his holy body before the Kevurah.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 01, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »
Are we deliberately being naïve here? They made him call Reb Shmuel Aurbach a זקן ממרא, it's on tape, among other things. Many things they did with him was a disgrace, including giving the Saint Bibi a special appointment to pay homage to his holy body before the Kevurah.
I don't want to get into that discussion but a better example was bringing Avigdor Lieberman to his home for a ksivas os in a sefer torah. With them telling Maran R' Chaim ,that he is a person that helps avreichim out a lot. ( i don't have a recording by me but at the time it was well publicized )
When I was by his house I saw the gabboim completely ignoring his direct instructions. IMO They treated him as an ATM machine with very little TRUE kavod for his torah

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 01, 2023, 02:17:55 PM »
I don't want to get into that discussion but a better example was bringing Avigdor Lieberman to his home for a ksivas os in a sefer torah. With them telling Maran R' Chaim ,that he is a person that helps avreichim out a lot. ( i don't have a recording by me but at the time it was well publicized )
When I was by his house I saw the gabboim completely ignoring his direct instructions. IMO They treated him as an ATM machine with very little TRUE kavod for his torah

This is all well known, utter bizoyon hatorah. It was the shtick for the gvirim in my circles to get recorded footage of Reb Chaim telling about them the greatest things after being bombarded with nonsense by the einikal. I guess this type of corruption with a Gadol is new to the Litvaks which allowed that to flourish, as seen how naively people accepted it.

I wonder is that sefer torah even kosher?

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 01, 2023, 02:35:41 PM »
This is all well known, utter bizoyon hatorah. It was the shtick for the gvirim in my circles to get recorded footage of Reb Chaim telling about them the greatest things after being bombarded with nonsense by the einikal. I guess this type of corruption with a Gadol is new to the Litvaks which allowed that to flourish, as seen how naively people accepted it.

I wonder is that sefer torah even kosher?
Technically it wouldn't be because he is a mechalel shabbos befarhesya. The question would be does it have a din sreifa as he is a min .Since he only wrote one os i am sure that not.
However usually the ones who "write " an os by filling in the letters are really just adding hiddur to already kosher letters (unless its a yud which according to r' elyashiv is pasul when empty bec. its a small samach) For more on this see inside stam by rabbi reuven mendlowitz page 233

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 24, 2023, 10:49:47 PM »
Anyone read 'The Great Z'manim Debate' by Rabbi Ahron Notis?

Looked through it over Shabbos and it's very interesting. He puts forward a compelling and impressive case that its absurd to still consider the position of Rabenu Tam regarding shkia as viable, since its been utterly shlugged up fot centuries now, specifically as pointed out by the Gra and the Shu'a Harav. In the era of ר״ת they simply didn't have the astronomical information that we have today. And at at the very least anything lkula should be discarded.

Random quote:
Klal Yisrael alone follows the same Torah as their ancestors did thousands of years ago, yet flourishes in the modern world. We do not have the same conflict between tradition and progress. Part of our mesorah is to value truth and not remain stuck on mistakes of earlier chachamim, as demonstrated by Rebbi who did not hesitate to say that the words of chachmei umos ha'olam appeared more correct than that of cachmei Yisrael. The Levush and the Gaon, who were not afraid to correct Rishonim who made astronomical mistakes, followed a mesorah of valuing truth with confidence. The truth of the mesorah that guides our lives and connects us with Hashem is rational, logical, and compelling. It is not threatened by correcting the mistakes of previous chachamim; it is strengthened by it. It is neither wise nor pious to engage in twisted logic to defend the opinions of Rabbeinu Tam and the Terumas Hadeshen where the Gaon clarified that they were mistaken.

I wonder if this book will incur public backlash.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 24, 2023, 11:24:30 PM »

Looked through it over Shabbos and it's very interesting. He puts forward a compelling and impressive case that its absurd to still consider the position of Rabenu Tam regarding shkia as viable, since its been utterly shlugged up fot centuries now, specifically as pointed out by the Gra and the Shu'a Harav. In the era of ר״ת they simply didn't have the astronomical information that we have today. And at at the very least anything lkula should be discarded.

Random quote:

I'm no expert on zmanim but I don't think these are new taanos. It didn't convince otherwise the followers of שיטת ר״ת back then, nor will it now. If something the auther may get backlash for the language he's using.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 24, 2023, 11:28:35 PM »
I'm no expert on zmanim but I don't think these are new taanos. It didn't convince otherwise the followers of שיטת ר״ת back then, nor will it now. If something the auther may get backlash for the language he's using.
I do think it’s been gaining traction in recent years.

From the haskama of Rav Yisrael Reisman:

That’s about alos but I believe it’s related.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1074 on: June 24, 2023, 11:33:58 PM »

Random quote:
The idea that this is new scientific knowledge is simply ridiculous and counter factual.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 24, 2023, 11:35:11 PM »
The idea that this is new scientific knowledge is simply ridiculous and counter factual.
Not new like today new.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 24, 2023, 11:35:59 PM »
Is there a Halachik issue to dispute a CC charge from a jewish company?
Ask here
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=11285.msg2722632#new

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 24, 2023, 11:36:55 PM »
Not new like today new.
So you think someone like the Maharshag would entertain the premise of this author?  ::)

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 24, 2023, 11:40:53 PM »
So you think someone like the Maharshag would entertain the premise of this author?  ::)

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 24, 2023, 11:51:18 PM »

Lol. I remembered seeing a discussion in the Shu"t Maharshag how we redid the Zmanim Luach, but I didn't remember him discussing R"T.

I don't have a Heichal Habracha handy but you should look up what he says regarding Dikduk and חתן וחלה.