Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 14531 times)

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Torah stuff that I don't understand
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
This is my issue with all religions. It is the word of G-d but travels thru man to the rest of us. Man is corrupt so that is a big problem.
This is what is said on a daily!

I believe with complete faith that the whole Torah which we now possess was given to Moses, our teacher, peace unto him.

I believe with complete faith that this Torah will not be changed, and that there will be no other Torah given by the Creator, blessed be His name.

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
This is my issue with all religions. It is the word of G-d but travels thru man to the rest of us. Man is corrupt so that is a big problem.
And an entire nation heard at Mount Sinai how G-D spoke to them, but they asked if Moshe could read the rest...........

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »
This is what is said on a daily!

I believe with complete faith that the whole Torah which we now possess was given to Moses, our teacher, peace unto him.

I believe with complete faith that this Torah will not be changed, and that there will be no other Torah given by the Creator, blessed be His name.
Thank you.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
And an entire nation heard at Mount Sinai how G-D spoke to them, but they asked if Moshe could read the rest...........
...I will leave this one alone.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online hvaces42

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:14 PM »
And therein lies the faith aspect of religion. Otherwise, "a little birdie told me to write this", would be (and in fact is) the foundation of soem religions.

The way it was explained to me when i asked the question was as follows: Us Jews celebrate the holidays because our parents celebrated them back to time immemorial. Our parents are not liars so we inherently believe that they received this tradition going back to its origin. Therefore, the biblical narrative must be true.

If that is the case then we celebrate Shavuos, which memorializes the receipt of the Torah at Sinai. So part of the narrative that Moses ascended to Heaven and came down with the Tablets is fact. Then what part of Judaism requires faith?

The part that has him writing down everything else besides what he came down with.

Its oversimplified but I hope it helps.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Torah stuff that doesnt make sense
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2018, 04:55:58 PM »
The responses by many of you highlight a flawed understand of Judaism and Torah.

Exgingy sends me a hayom yom assuming I would care.. And that didn't answer nor address the question.. To quote Rabbi Eily Smith "you either believe in nevuah or you don't.

What silly stupid attacks.. My brother doesn't always agree with me but he doesn't bash me, he also requests my feedback for his publications.

in Paul Johnson history of the Jew's, he Puts daniel as a historian in the macabee era. Which spawned the comment above.

You need to get rid of your morally superior attitude, also just because you don't like someone's question is no license to bash them.

finally, this didn't question if question if the Torah was accurate about metzushelach life span, I merely said it didnt make sense that chaggai lived 600 years as per the rambam.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
OP could learn from you

No, I won't be intimidated by your bully tactics which are effectively a disgrace to Torah.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »

No, I won't be intimidated by your bully tactics which are effectively a disgrace to Torah.
OP can question away all he wants, but with a modicum of respect
BTW Iím not the one bashing klal yisroel & disrespecting torah/halacha all the time. Thatís somebody else

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
It is the business of anyone who would respond as to whether they want to participate in a conversation based on that premise and they are saying that they don't want to. It is somewhat ridiculous to have read the entirety of one paragraph which wasn't even meant to be anything more than a cursory overview as a preface to more extensive study and claim that anything makes no sense. Of course you don't understand t. You didn't study the topic!

I still stand by what I wrote. I'm happy to to make sense of it. But I'm not switching it to I don't understand.

That would imply that an answer was given and I don't understand the answer

Lots of stuff don't make any sense. The tanaaim and amoraim argue with each other constantly and call each other liars effectively

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2018, 05:03:58 PM »
BTW Iím not the one bashing klal yisroel & disrespecting torah/halacha all the time. Thatís somebody else

No, you're just engaged in lashon hara and slander against me.. I don't do any of those things.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »
glad you pointed that out :)
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Online hvaces42

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2018, 05:06:18 PM »

in Paul Johnson history of the Jew's, he Puts daniel as a historian in the macabee era. Which spawned the comment above.

I bought and read a good part of that book based on the recommendations of Rabbi Wein who states that the book has value, but not all of it. Rabbi Wein discounts most of the pre-biblical part of the book.

And again, you dont understand the Torah because a historian wrote something? If that is the case we are dealing with Bible criticism here and lets be clear and honest about that. Most here dont want to engage in any discussion. Go find DovBear in a google search and you will be in good company.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
I'm engaged in constructive criticism and questioning what either makes no sense or I don't understand.

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
The tanaaim and amoraim argue with each other constantly and call each other liars effectively
Please show me where.

Thing only don't make sense as long as they are not explained. As soon as it is explained you will understand. So it does make sense just you dont understand it yet.
Money talks...mine says goodbye!