Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 148695 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Torah stuff that doesnt make sense
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »
You're issue in a nutshell is you can't fathom that there wasn't social media and paparazzi around every aged Rabbi a there is today and documenting their lives? We see very clearly only things that were important L'doros were written, even megillas Esther wasn't so simple, who knows if we'd have ever heard of the story..  had Esther not gotten her way...

I have nachman cohen's "esther's plea"

But there were midrash and talmdic instances where they visited old sages to ask questions ?

The case of pinchas in his old age is different

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2018, 10:26:41 PM »
That’s because it’s a misquote. The yerushalmi and bavli are merely brought as a basis by some to say that Rabbi Dosa and Chaggai met each other. The Rambam (its in the hakdama miseder zeraim haperek harivi’i) learns that Rav Dosa was in the generation of Shimon Hatzadik (and therefore chaggai) and it was Rav Dosa who lived until the time of Rabbi Akiva...

Thank you, because I asked and no one knew where the rambam said it.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »
That’s because it’s a misquote. The yerushalmi and bavli are merely brought as a basis by some to say that Rabbi Dosa and Chaggai met each other. The Rambam (its in the hakdama miseder zeraim haperek harivi’i) learns that Rav Dosa was in the generation of Shimon Hatzadik (and therefore chaggai) and it was Rav Dosa who lived until the time of Rabbi Akiva...
Not really following but it sounds like a big nothing..

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »
Did Ruth live 300+ years? (see tal. baba batra 91b - she was alive after Abshalom becomes king)...?

שנאמר (מלכים א ב, יט) וישם כסא לאם המלך וא"ר אלעזר לאמה של מלכות

רשב"ם - זו רות המואביה - שנקראת על שבט יהודה כלומר בנים שיצאו ממנה.
כלומר???

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »
Not really following but it sounds like a big nothing..

Which? my whole thread ? sure in light of @cmey  yes.

From the get go I asked Rabbi smith and he said hes not seen it in the rambam and it would be a OU typo.

Lots of things dont "make sense"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_years_(Jewish_calendar)

Rabbi Geizinsky in NMB has a book on it I was reading.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:38:17 PM by chevron »

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2018, 10:49:42 PM »

But there were midrash and talmdic instances where they visited old sages to ask questions ?

Is that a question or statement? If it's a statement any specific sources?..

There are chassidic sounding stories of people who met serach bas Asher.. but I'm not familiar with anyone today who's claimed to have met her...

even in midrashic and talmudic sources there are some taanaim and amoraim only mentioned a second single time.. it seems that censorship of what should be written and passed down is pretty severe and no more perplexing then that of chaggai and to me rather simple that they're teachings and rulings were for that time and that time only. Mordecai whom you mentioned, even during his "active years" that are recorded there isn't much that we actually know.. can u name a single teaching from him..

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
Why was achiya hashiloni prophecies not add to neviim ? Was it lost already?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:51 AM »
Why was achiya hashiloni prophecies not add to neviim ? Was it lost already?
Only ones which were to teach fire all of the generations were written.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
How does it make sense that Chaggai lived for so long but isn't mentioned?
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
Which? my whole thread ? sure in light of @cmey  yes.

From the get go I asked Rabbi smith and he said hes not seen it in the rambam and it would be a OU typo.

Lots of things dont "make sense"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_years_(Jewish_calendar)

Rabbi Geizinsky in NMB has a book on it I was reading.
So here we have it, an entire thread full of criticism, perceived attacks, etc. which actually boiled down to a simple question and answer. A lot could have been avoided if 1. The question would have been better articulated, and 2. The title would have been a little better thought through.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
Re: How does it make sense that Chaggai lived for so long but isn't mentioned?
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »
So here we have it, an entire thread full of criticism, perceived attacks, etc. which actually boiled down to a simple question and answer. A lot could have been avoided if 1. The question would have been better articulated, and 2. The title would have been a little better thought through.

But it wasn't and I apologize. But the constant attacks on me are as stupid. I just have a lot of questions and maybe lots of uncomfortable ideas but I also have rabbinic guidance in my life.. (renowned rabbanim for that matter)  to say that I'm a heretic because I ask questions is quite silly.

Any ways, this should have been in general discussion in appropriate thread.. Apologies. Grateful to @cmey

Looked up the chazon ish. Though I'll stick with the rambams comments on achiya hashiloni as the one that lived very long.

Does it mean, the others didn't?  No.. Do I find it hard to believe?  I'll just echo the radak " ze rachok meod" maybe they did.. But apparently it's not relevant unless they hide some missing Torah we want to uncover

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
But it wasn't and I apologize. But the constant attacks on me are as stupid. I just have a lot of questions and maybe lots of uncomfortable ideas but I also have rabbinic guidance in my life.. (renowned rabbanim for that matter)  to say that I'm a heretic because I ask questions is quite silly.

Any ways, this should have been in general discussion in appropriate thread.. Apologies. Grateful to @cmey

Looked up the chazon ish. Though I'll stick with the rambams comments on achiya hashiloni as the one that lived very long.

Does it mean, the others didn't?  No.. Do I find it hard to believe?  I'll just echo the radak " ze rachok meod" maybe they did.. But apparently it's not relevant unless they hide some missing Torah we want to uncover
your questions are perfectly fine. your way of asking it is very much not so.
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »
your questions are perfectly fine. your way of asking it is very much not so.
+1.

Additionally, not all criticism of what you write is an attack. It's an extremely valuable trait to have, to be able to accept criticism without feeling attacked. It allows one to respond with a cool head, sometimes seeing the other point of view, and reaching amicable resolution much faster.
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
+1.

Additionally, not all criticism of what you write is an attack. It's an extremely valuable trait to have, to be able to accept criticism without feeling attacked. It allows one to respond with a cool head, sometimes seeing the other point of view, and reaching amicable resolution much faster.

For me the, the irony is that I get attacked for not having respect for torah, chazal, halacha.

Yet I spend a premium on kosher wines precisely because I accept Halacha.

Maybe we dont see eye to eye on bugs, but then again I have a lot of halachik support for my practices there.

As much as criticism is important, so is being able to accept that people practice judaism differently.

Yet to me, the #1 thing that pisses me off is, talking in shull. I never ever saw any one any where write that its OK to shmooze during kaddish or chazaras hashatz, or krias hatorah.. yet its quite normal.

Online shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »
Yet to me, the #1 thing that pisses me off is, talking in shull. I never ever saw any one any where write that its OK to shmooze during kaddish or chazaras hashatz, or krias hatorah.. yet its quite normal.

I fully understand you and probably mostly agree on this one. I think @hvaces42 is missing the point when he talks about it being disturbing. It's about making Yiddishkeit real. If one indeed believes what a shul is, and what davening is, talking during davening in shul is just incomprehensible (to put it mildly). I have on occasion taken this to an extreme, stating that I cannot understand why a person that talks in shul should expect their children to keep Shabbos or Kashrus.

That being said, it's probably best to find a Barditchever style approach towards those that talk, and rather than fight it, try to enlighten and educate.
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »
I fully understand you and probably mostly agree on this one. I think @hvaces42 is missing the point when he talks about it being disturbing. It's about making Yiddishkeit real. If one indeed believes what a shul is, and what davening is, talking during davening in shul is just incomprehensible (to put it mildly). I have on occasion taken this to an extreme, stating that I cannot understand why a person that talks in shul should expect their children to keep Shabbos or Kashrus.

That being said, it's probably best to find a Barditchever style approach towards those that talk, and rather than fight it, try to enlighten and educate.

I have tried the berdichiver approach. Ate by a guy in rechavia Herzog, told me he used to tell every one to be quiet, wrote to the Rebbe, letter in igros was "you should focus on what you need to do, not what others do"

Talking in shull during prayers makes me question yiras shamayim. Does this person believe in tefilla ? Does he know he is a chote umechate.. he is implicating the person he talks to, disturbs the tefillah, the shull decorum, the sanctity of a mikdash me'at, disrespects the Rav and as per many places ive read, taints the tefillah of the tzibur.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »
I love shuls/minyanim where everyone comes in knowing the rules and wanting to be part of a place where there is no extraneous talking. Unfortunately in Willowbrook SI there just aren't (m)any (though the young married minyan upstairs in the young israel is pretty good). We had our annual Yachad shabbaton this past shabbos BH in our noisy main shul at the Young Israel. there were kids laughing, screaming etc. at random parts of davening, and several talked a lot to the people they were with. like every year, that does not disturb my davening. though i usually go to a different friday night minyan, i especially go to that minyan, and my davening is always better.

U get disturbed if you want to get disturbed/if u let it disturb u. If u realized that most of the shmo's who walk in late and just talk from start to finish were just as needy and vulnerable as the yachad kids (and perhaps anusim too), your prayers for them might be even better than without such distractions.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
I was just reminded of Moshe's prayers to Hashem while battling amalek, i'm sure it was pretty noisy, but I'm sure he used the noise to enhance his prayer. We arent going to stop talking it shul, its been there since shul started.

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2018, 02:06:59 PM »
For me the, the irony is that I get attacked for not having respect for torah, chazal, halacha.

Maybe we dont see eye to eye on bugs, but then again I have a lot of halachik support for my practices there.

As much as criticism is important, so is being able to accept that people practice judaism differently.

oh, so your the guy with the “stop talking in shul” campaign?

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »

Agreed, neither have I ever seen it was OK to scratch your leg in middle d avenging, and still it's quite normal
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch