Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 148794 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Torah stuff that doesnt make sense
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »
You haven't researched our religion?
Researched as having an understanding, no.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »

So are there 2 ark's out there ? how many menorahs ?

Yes there are (at least) 2 arks, one (that stayed) in the kodesh kodashim, and one that went to battle.
Menorahs there were a bunch (Shlomo put 10 iirc). But besides for these there were replacements for each keili in the bais hamikdosh in case it became tomei...

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »

Yes there are (at least) 2 arks, one (that stayed) in the kodesh kodashim, and one that went to battle.
Menorahs there were a bunch (Shlomo put 10 iirc). But besides for these there were replacements for each keili in the bais hamikdosh in case it became tomei...

So maybe indiana jones found one ?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
Re: How does it make sense that Chaggai lived for so long but isn't mentioned?
« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »
What's there to enlighten anyone about. The way one was raised is the overwhelming deciding factor. Where you given a choice? Did you research all the religions before deciding? I will bet your answer will be the same as mine and millions of others, no.

I didnt research other religions, but ive researched judaism in ways that give me more answers and faith than Christianity and Islam.

Both are inherently flawed any are sub cultures of the hebrew religion. As neither are idol worship (different debate if Christianity is avoda zara) its fine for a non jew to believe in Shituf.

A jew believes in G-d as the sole power Rambam discusses this and @ExGingi  I learned the Tanya of this in Rabbi Paltiel's class..

I wonder if any judaic legit sources believe malachim have free will and power on their own

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 27, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »
I didnt research other religions, but ive researched judaism in ways that give me more answers and faith than Christianity and Islam.
What answers are you looking for? Maybe we can help each other out as I am looking for answers also.

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »
What answers are you looking for? Maybe we can help each other out as I am looking for answers also.
Did anyone ever stop you from asking any questions here?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »
Actually yes. I have received many PM's explaining to me what I was asking wasn't appropriate and I stopped.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
Ummm...
That was not my intent whatsoever.
I have no problem with questions in emunah. They ought to be encouraged in the proper format. We are privileged to have many seforim from the rishonim and achronim as well as contemporary authors and lecturers who discuss them. The proper format is a serious forum with the participation of those who are knowledgeable on the subject, and there are plenty who are. Contrast that with this thread, where Jews and Catholics are discussing comparative religion (are you really trying to convince Chaimmoskowitz of the superiority of the Jewish tradition?), and discussions of a problematic Rambam that most forum participants never even heard of, and only one apparently knows where to look to conclude that the Rambam doesn’t exist, and this forum is clearly not the place for this.

That was the (admittedly rather crude) analogy to an adult thread which clearly doesn’t belong here; it was not meant to impugn  questions of emunah in general.

Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »
Actually yes. I have received many PM's explaining to me what I was asking wasn't appropriate and I stopped.

I'm discussing judaism.. feel free to partake. I have no interest in discussing other religions :)

in terms of ism's. the #1 false religion is materialism.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »
I think you have an admission to make. Or just continue having fun
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
Since when is this not the proper place? No one is trying to convince anyone of anything here. We are JS, Just Shmoozing. These topics do come up in normal conversation so why is DDF not a proper forum? Maybe I'm slow and dont get it. Shabbos, Yom Tov, Kashrus, Minhagim are all fair game, but basic questions in emunah are not. Sounds alot like the yeshivas I'm familiar with.

If you normally shmooze with catholic buddies about your respective traditions and their validity then I guess I get why you think this is a legitimate venue.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »
I think chevron wants to know if modern Catholicism puts too much focus on new fangled interpretations and stringencies, straying from its mesorah (age old interpretation of its tenets) as he believes Orthodox Judaism is currently doing. :)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »
I think chevron wants to know if modern Catholicism puts too much focus on new fangled interpretations and stringencies, straying from its mesorah (age old interpretation of its tenets) as he believes Orthodox Judaism is currently doing. :)
I thought the question was if a logical person would believe a story that has been passed from generation to generation over thousands of years would never change.  :)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
I hate when you are trying to respond and the OP deletes the post.  :)

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »

Both are inherently flawed any are sub cultures of the hebrew religion. As neither are idol worship (different debate if Christianity is avoda zara) its fine for a non jew to believe in Shituf.

Since you seem to want it expounded upon I’ll oblige.
Actually if you researched Catholicism you would know that it’s not so simple to say it is not idol worship (as opposed to other branches of Christianity which many hold are avoda Zara; both of which are prohibited for a non Jew) . Many Protestants and other denominations consider the Catholics adoration (bowing etc.) to statues of Mary and others as idol worship. Then there is the doctrine of transubstantiation which the Catholic Church believes in, considering the Eucharist to be the bread and wine changing into the actual body and blood of J. As long as they are extant, they consider them to be the actual J. and not just symbolism.When they worship it or when it is placed in the tabernacle and adored many other Christians consider it to be bona  fide idol worship...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
Since you seem to want it expounded upon I’ll oblige.
Actually if you researched Catholicism you would know that it’s not so simple to say it is not idol worship (as opposed to other branches of Christianity which many hold are avoda Zara; both of which are prohibited for a non Jew) . Many Protestants and other denominations consider the Catholics adoration (bowing etc.) to statues of Mary and others as idol worship. Then there is the doctrine of transubstantiation which the Catholic Church believes in, considering the Eucharist to be the bread and wine changing into the actual body and blood of J. As long as they are extant, they consider them to be the actual J. and not just symbolism.When they worship it or when it is placed in the tabernacle and adored many other Christians consider it to be bona  fide idol worship...
I didn't think my ignorance toward another religion could be surpassed.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »
Mods can we PLEASE have this thread finally renamed.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Mods can we PLEASE have this thread finally renamed.
For some reason when I get a notification it comes up different each time.
"how did chaggai live so long if he isn't mentioned?"
"Torah stuff I don't understand"
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »
Ok let’s take a look. I am aware that Catholics don’t view it that way. Many other denominations do...
Rather than linking to many sources that definitely don’t belong on this forum here’s a few simple quotes from Wikipedia:

“The manufacture of images of J, the Virgin Mary and Christian saints, along with prayers directed to these has been widespread among the Catholic faithful”.[73]

“The idolatry debate has been one of the defining differences between Papal Catholicism and Anti-papal Protestantism.[74] The anti-papal writers have prominently questioned the worship practices and images supported by Catholics, with many Protestant scholars listing it as the "one religious error larger than all others". The sub-list of erring practices have included among other things Mariolatry or the worship of Virgin Mary as a form of idolatry, the Catholic mass, the invocation of saints, and the reverence expected for and expressed to Pope himself.[74] The charges of idolatry against the Roman Catholics were leveled by a diverse group of Protestants, from the Church of England to John Calvin in Geneva.[74][75]”

“Protestants often accuse Catholics of idolatry, iconolatry, and even paganism for failing to "cleanse their faith" of the use of images; in the Protestant Reformation such language was common to all Protestants. In some cases, such as the Puritan groups denounced all forms of religious objects, whether in three-dimensional or two-dimensional form, including the Christian cross.[77]”

“The Eucharist in the Catholic Church is the celebration of Mass, the eucharistic liturgy. The term Eucharist is also used for the bread and wine when transubstantiated (their substance having been changed), according to Catholic teaching, into the body and blood of J. "At the Last Supper, on the night he was betrayed, -instituted the Eucharistic sacrifice of his Body and Blood."[1]”

Blessed Sacrament is a devotional term used in the Roman Catholic Church to refer to the eucharistic species (the Body and Blood of -).[2] Consecrated hosts are kept in a tabernacle after Mass, so that the Blessed Sacrament can be brought to the sick and dying outside the time of Mass. This makes possible also the practice of eucharistic adoration.

Adoration is a sign of devotion to and worship of J, who is believed by Catholics to be present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, under the appearance of the consecrated host, that is, sacramental bread. From a theological perspective, the adoration is a form of latria (internal worship) , based on the tenet of the real presence of - in the -.[1]

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
Ok let’s take a look.
Would it fair for me post how some Muslims view Judaism?