Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 148651 times)

Online yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)
« Reply #440 on: June 03, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
Don't remember, just  have a vague recollection of hearing that
Sources?

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 03, 2018, 07:40:21 PM »
Sources?
Sources for what? That Milah is מעכב geirus, or source specifically when there's a sakana.

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 03, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
That's my understanding as well, I will try to ask around for a makor.
Do we know that the erav Rav were actually megayer and Jewish?
There's lots of torah-reid in the rishoinam on this. See Rambam איסורי בּיאה פּרק יג הל יח
ומפני זה אמרו חכמים קשים להם גרים לישראל כנגע צרעת שרובן חוזרין בשביל דבר ומטעין את ישראל. וקשה הדבר לפרוש מהם אחר שנתגיירו. צא ולמד מה אירע במדבר במעשה העגל ובקברות התאוה וכן רוב הנסיונות האספסוף היו בהן תחלה

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 03, 2018, 09:29:12 PM »
There's lots of torah-reid in the rishoinam on this. See Rambam איסורי בּיאה פּרק יג הל יח
ומפני זה אמרו חכמים קשים להם גרים לישראל כנגע צרעת שרובן חוזרין בשביל דבר ומטעין את ישראל. וקשה הדבר לפרוש מהם אחר שנתגיירו. צא ולמד מה אירע במדבר במעשה העגל ובקברות התאוה וכן רוב הנסיונות האספסוף היו בהן תחלה
They were geirim.. Rashi says so a few times in Chumash also.
In the midbar they had Mila, just not priah.
There were also additional eiruv Rav later on after milchemes amalek.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 03, 2018, 11:02:02 PM »
Banks that are on the stock market don't need a Heter Iska ?
["-"]

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 15, 2019, 03:54:12 AM »
In regards to hishtadlus, sometimes I've heard people say they "aren't holding on that level of emuna/bitachon", what does that mean? Do they believe or not? Even if you say that emuna/bitachon is a range, still at the end of the day I only see three options. Either you believe, you don't believe, or you're not sure (which can have different levels of not being sure). If that's the case why isn't it considered that you don't have emuna shleima in one of the 13 ikrim thereby being considered a kofer?

Also a random thing I was thinking about recently. I've heard people saying (now that there are basically no more misnagdim) that there are 2 equally valid mehalchim in avodas hashem. One is more focused on limud hatorah... And the other is more focused on davening, dveikus... Chassidim picked the latter and litvish people picked the former.

I was thinking, isn't it a little interesting to say that hashem would give two equally valid approaches in avodas hashem. If they are both equally valid and it's up to us to choose which one to do then it just comes down to what we like to do better. Which in my eyes seems like a pegima.

Wouldn't it be smarter if there was only one derech?

(Yes there are some assumptions involved in this post but they're not too far fetched)
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #446 on: March 15, 2019, 07:15:52 AM »
they're not too far fetched
Here is my understanding.

I absolutely trust my father with my life. If he was holding me over a 10,000 foot cliff, no doubt in my mind I'll be afraid. That is not perfect Bitachon, I am not trusting entirely in him. Is that a definitive yes, or no? Absolutely not.

Recognizing that it's my father holding me in that position is emunah. To not fully understand that that's the case, is a lack in Emunah, once again there is undoubtedly a range, to what extent do you understand, or to what extent to you recognize that it's him. And the same for when you are pulled to safety, how much do you understand/recognize that it was him who saved you.

The 2 mehalchim question had to many assumptions for me to tackle.

Say you have 2 roads from point A to point B. One is flat and windy, one is bumpy and straight. Or one is perfect at the beginning, but bumpy at the end, while the other is windy at the start but straightens out in the middle. Both roads take you from where you are to where you need to be. Both roads are hard, and you can't take the easy part without the hard part. But after all is said and done you get from point A to point B. And that's where based on your assumptions God says choose your way, you have bechira, but all I need is you to be at point B.

But I disagree with the whole second part, so who cares what I think.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 15, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
In regards to hishtadlus, sometimes I've heard people say they "aren't holding on that level of emuna/bitachon", what does that mean? Do they believe or not? Even if you say that emuna/bitachon is a range, still at the end of the day I only see three options. Either you believe, you don't believe, or you're not sure (which can have different levels of not being sure). If that's the case why isn't it considered that you don't have emuna shleima in one of the 13 ikrim thereby being considered a kofer?

Also a random thing I was thinking about recently. I've heard people saying (now that there are basically no more misnagdim) that there are 2 equally valid mehalchim in avodas hashem. One is more focused on limud hatorah... And the other is more focused on davening, dveikus... Chassidim picked the latter and litvish people picked the former.

I was thinking, isn't it a little interesting to say that hashem would give two equally valid approaches in avodas hashem. If they are both equally valid and it's up to us to choose which one to do then it just comes down to what we like to do better. Which in my eyes seems like a pegima.

(Yes there are some assumptions involved in this post but they're not too far fetched)
I think you need to find yourself a Rebbi.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »

Fairly easy to answer your questions. The first is discussed in  the Gemara and numerous kadmonim.  I don’t have time to write now, perhaps others will . Think about this in regards to your second question. Why did Hashem make male and female? Why not just the one being who is more perfect at serving Him?

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 18, 2019, 03:01:15 AM »
A suggested reading that deals with your first question is Worldmask by Rabbi Akiva Tatz, I think it’s primarily in chapter 3.

Regarding your second question see the attached from the chofetz chaim for a start.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 18, 2019, 03:17:46 AM »
I once heard that the greater a person is the less he perceives things as contradictory. A child sees everything from a very rigid and narrow point of view. If you can’t drive on shabbos, why is the Hatzolah guy doing it? My parent doesn’t love me; if he did how could he punish me? As he matures he realizes that there are nuances and things that seemed contradictory are actually in perfect harmony.

People see different paths as contradictory; either satmar is right or Rav kook was right. Either the sefardi mesorah or ashkenaz.  Either the Gra or the Besht. A gadol understands that all have a place, and perhaps a necessary place in the great entity known as Klal Yisroel. There were 12 shevatim. We needed a yissaschar but also a zevulan. A Yehuda but also a Dan. Only with all of them united did Hashem rest his shechina on klal yisrael. Hashem didn’t choose to create millions of identical individuals. What would be the point of creating more than one? Each person has a unique ability to bring out kevod shomayim in a way that no one else can replicate. Only when each person uses his individuality to serve Hashem is the goal of Hashem’s creation realized. One person may have an unbelievable head for learning. Another in psak  halacha. A third in connecting unaffiliated Jews to their heritage. Yet another may be unable to read a blatt Gemara with tosfos yet he is a genius in chessed. Each is using his talents to serve Hashem. It is not always easy to know what one’s own strengths and talents truly are. One may need a kesher with someone who can objectively guide him to use his abilities in the best way. But to say that only one path in Judaism is the correct one is to miss the fundamental underpinnings of what klal yisrael is all about.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:30:28 AM by cmey »

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 29, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »
When we learn kodshim and taharos we are obviously learning torah as well as preparing for moshiach when these laws will once again be practical. What about the large sections of taharos and kodshim that were gezeiros of chazal that seem to have been specifically tailored to their times, such as “bigdei am haaretz medras liprushim” and numerous other examples. Presumably when moshiach comes they will no longer be enacted since there will no longer be amei haaretz (ומלאה בארץ דעה)?

Are we learning major parts of kodshim and taharos for the torah lishmah or perhaps the concepts we can glean from them, since not only are they not relevant now, but presumably will not apply in the future either?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2022, 08:39:36 AM »
I don't know if others agree or disagree, but I thought that the recent Mishpacha Magazine article on the Eifoh Yosseleh saga was despicable, and it reinforced my conviction against buying that hashkaficaly depraved magazine again.

The entire backdrop of the article was painting everyone who had any involvement with the saga as being either mistaken or worse, and thankfully most have repented from their evil actions but one unfortunately died without having shown remorse. They even dug up something (that I never heard before) about the Satmar Rov being diametrically opposed to the whole mission, further indicating that this was just a few rouge nuts who did something indefensible. This seems to be primarily driven by the fact that the interview was with Schuchmacher himself, and they were seemingly seeking to please him by portraying his perspective in the article.

This is far from the hashkafic understanding that I have had previously. I may have been wrong, but I'd faster think the Mishpacha is just continuing down their ever-liberalizing path toward hashkafic doom.

Is this a more widespread opinion in the frum world than I am aware of?

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2022, 08:53:25 AM »
I don't know if others agree or disagree, but I thought that the recent Mishpacha Magazine article on the Eifoh Yosseleh saga was despicable, and it reinforced my conviction against buying that hashkaficaly depraved magazine again.

The entire backdrop of the article was painting everyone who had any involvement with the saga as being either mistaken or worse, and thankfully most have repented from their evil actions but one unfortunately died without having shown remorse. They even dug up something (that I never heard before) about the Satmar Rov being diametrically opposed to the whole mission, further indicating that this was just a few rouge nuts who did something indefensible. This seems to be primarily driven by the fact that the interview was with Schuchmacher himself, and they were seemingly seeking to please him by portraying his perspective in the article.

This is far from the hashkafic understanding that I have had previously. I may have been wrong, but I'd faster think the Mishpacha is just continuing down their ever-liberalizing path toward hashkafic doom.

Totally agree with you. It seemed from the article that the main problem was with the people who took Yossele and the government was right but might have been a bit too extreme with the handling of it. Ask anyone around from that time if anything like that is remotely true. The article omitted to mention that this was a mere 15 years after the infamous Yaldei Tehran case. This was further proof of the Zionist government obsession with secularizing Israel.

It is interesting to see that in "Inbox" in that week, someone wrote:

I’d like to respond to the Inbox letter that suggested a “majority of Mishpacha readers” do or don’t use certain types of technology.

Mishpacha does not ask us our degree of frumkeit, what kind of filter we have on our phones, or whether we wear colored shirts when we subscribe. There is no such thing as “the wrong hands,” or not the type of reader that Mishpacha is meant for. By its own admission, stated many times, its columnists, the editors and contributors are very much aware that political leaders, Jews who are far from the typical reader, and non-Jews also read this publication.

Not all of the readers are from a typical yeshivah background, nor are they all involved in chinuch. We may face our internal struggles and have questions that we face alone. I’ve adopted some minhagim to achieve that, even if at times it feels as if I’m throwing lawn furniture in the way of an Abrams tank.

https://mishpacha.com/inbox-issue-913/

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2022, 09:09:08 AM »
I may have been wrong, but I'd faster think the Mishpacha is just continuing down their ever-liberalizing path toward hashkafic doom.

They have indeed been becoming increasingly more liberal for years now.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
Just this week, there was an article defending the NYT and saying the right leaning publications  are worse.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 12, 2022, 09:20:42 AM »
Any reason for this ? Has there been a change at the top ?

Offline mushkovits

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »

Not here to defend the Mishpacha however  I do believe there were quite a few big names against the operation.
Maybe we can compile list of all the gedolims opinions.
I remember hearing the Steipler was against it.

Online yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 12, 2022, 09:46:41 AM »
Certain frum publications seem to correlate quality journalism with being liberal, most likely because most of the "quality" newspapers and magazines they see in the secular world are liberal. I have found that the frum publications that pride themselves as being "real" newspapers and magazines have been trying to be what they consider centrist, as though they are compromising with the NYT etc.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #459 on: June 12, 2022, 09:49:42 AM »

Seriously?

You're looking at anything of the sort (which is a pure business, as opposed to certain publications that were specifically started to publicize השקפה) for any השקפה or value?

Would you also go to a movie theater and complain about what they show?

If you really care start off by asking your LOR if you should buy it at all.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan