5 (11.9%)
No
30 (71.4%)
I need to work but can be from home
6 (14.3%)
I come drunk
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Do you work on Purim?  (Read 8102 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Do you work on Purim?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 12:25:50 AM »
While you are right. It is a very hard nisayon for a business owner to pass up on a days worth of income. Especially if they are struggling financially.

While I don't have a large payroll by any stretch of the imagination (I only have one PT employee), I can tell you from experience that ברכת השם היא תעשיר, and there's no ברכה in working on Chol Hamoed or on Erev Shabbos after Chatzos.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 12:42:09 AM »
While I don't have a large payroll by any stretch of the imagination (I only have one PT employee), I can tell you from experience that ברכת השם היא תעשיר, and there's no ברכה in working on Chol Hamoed or on Erev Shabbos after Chatzos.

100% but to feel that and be on that level is not easy.

ETA. thanks for the erev shabbos reminder

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 12:50:03 AM »
100% but to feel that and be on that level is not easy.

ETA. thanks for the erev shabbos reminder
FTR, I was unexpectedly OOT for a while, and when I got back found out that my assistant didn't complete some work. I asked him to come in on Friday (he usually doesn't) to finish it up. He came in, and the work dragged on. I really wanted it done before the weekend, but then at some point I realized we went way past Chatzos, so I dropped everything, and asked my assistant to do the same, deeply regretting any work that was already done after Chatzos - I hope it won't come back to haunt me too bad.
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 01:19:17 AM »
FTR, I was unexpectedly OOT for a while, and when I got back found out that my assistant didn't complete some work. I asked him to come in on Friday (he usually doesn't) to finish it up. He came in, and the work dragged on. I really wanted it done before the weekend, but then at some point I realized we went way past Chatzos, so I dropped everything, and asked my assistant to do the same, deeply regretting any work that was already done after Chatzos - I hope it won't come back to haunt me too bad.
Don't all the poskim say only melacha gemura is included in the issur? I assume 95% of people's work nowadays doesn't fall into that category.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 01:31:25 AM »
Don't all the poskim say only melacha gemura is included in the issur? I assume 95% of people's work nowadays doesn't fall into that category.
Not talking about issur c"v, but from experience, if you want the proper ברכה from the real source of פרנסה, it's best to dedicate Erev Shabbos after Chatzos and Chol Hamoed to Yiddishkeit and family, rather than work.
-- Dan

Offline maylei

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 07:07:29 AM »
When ever I hear of a frum Owner make his workers come in on chol hamoed it irks me! I mean if B&H could be closed so could almost everyone! (Besides Drs, groceries, restaurants,and most hardware stories)
I work in the food distribution business so it kind of makes sense that we need to be open on chol hamoed so that’s stores could get the food they need to be stocked up

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 08:53:12 AM »
I work in the food distribution business so it kind of makes sense that we need to be open on chol hamoed so that’s stores could get the food they need to be stocked up
He excluded those.

On a side note, I once heard that BH owners were given a specific brachah for success by their Rebbe based on them being closed in Chol Hamoed and hiring frum workers....can anyone confirm?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »
Not talking about issur c"v, but from experience, if you want the proper ברכה from the real source of פרנסה, it's best to dedicate Erev Shabbos after Chatzos and Chol Hamoed to Yiddishkeit and family, rather than work.
What is your source for this halachically/hashkafically? The whole source for the idea of אינו רואה סימן ברכה on erev shabbos is the very same gemara that all the poskim say refers only to melacha gemura.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »
When ever I hear of a frum Owner make his workers come in on chol hamoed it irks me! I mean if B&H could be closed so could almost everyone! (Besides Drs, groceries, restaurants,and most hardware stories)

most frum business have to give off on the all the non-jewish holidays for their non-jewish employees and to give off on chol hamoed as well is a lot of days