Author Topic: Co Signing a car lease  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
Co Signing a car lease
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
Does anyone have any information on the following? A family member would like me to cosign on a lease for a car. I'm not discussing whether I'm going to have a problem with their paying the lease. My question is, how does it affect my credit report? I've done this before and always got a message that my credit report has been updated when I cosigned. Any info on that? Thak you.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Co Signing a car lease
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »
Assuming there is no question of repayment, the account will go on your credit report, and as a general matter will improve the report and score.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
Assuming there is no question of repayment, the account will go on your credit report, and as a general matter will improve the report and score.
Did you say improve? Doesn't it go against my debt vs income?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Myccrabbi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »
Yes it will go on your report, and any missed/late payments will have the same effect as if it's your credit card bill.

Just make sure that you trust the family member to follow thru and be fully responsible, because it can have a full effect since you are the Cosigner.

I have personally done it twice and probably because my first lease had to be cosigned by a relative so I felt I need to pay back.
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »
Yes it will go on your report, and any missed/late payments will have the same effect as if it's your credit card bill.

Just make sure that you trust the family member to follow thru and be fully responsible, because it can have a full effect since you are the Cosigner.

I have personally done it twice and probably because my first lease had to be cosigned by a relative so I felt I need to pay back.
Thanks

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:07 PM »

Yes will improve in long run.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 01:09:57 PM »

Will improve your score when the account gets paid below 20%, and then below 9%.

Until then, it's an INQ, new account and increased debt load.  Someone with a thick file who doesn't report balances this effect will be minimal.  Someone with a thin file and/or who consistently reports balances, the effects will be heightened.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:52:26 PM »
everything said so far here correct, though one thing missed -  it will improve you score as a different type of credit (assuming you don't already have a mortgage). 
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:55:22 PM »
everything said so far here correct, though one thing missed -  it will improve you score as a different type of credit (assuming you don't already have a mortgage).
+1
Mix is very important.
(still looking for an Alliant replacement )
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
Will improve your score when the account gets paid below 20%, and then below 9%.

Until then, it's an INQ, new account and increased debt load.  Someone with a thick file who doesn't report balances this effect will be minimal.  Someone with a thin file and/or who consistently reports balances, the effects will be heightened.
How important is the mix?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »

Any idea for me? I feel need a installment loan for my credit.
Decently young and thin file, low utilization.
I missed the Alliant opportunity
+1
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
Make sure that you do your due diligence about why this family member needs a co signer. If they do not pay on time that will hurt your credit more than anything else discussed.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 02:09:29 PM »
adds points...
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Tuna Baygel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Co Signing a car lease
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »
If you are worried about a mortgage some lenders won't count it as debt if you can prove that the monthly payment is someone else's responsibility and they have been consistent

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »
If you are worried about a mortgage some lenders won't count it as debt if you can prove that the monthly payment is someone else's responsibility and they have been consistent
I see. That's exactly the situation except I currently have no need for a mortgage, but it may happen at any time. That's why I was a little nervous. But proving someone else pays is no problem. Thanks.