Author Topic: Amex points advertisement on VIN  (Read 2997 times)

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Amex points advertisement on VIN
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
I don't know if anyone noticed a large ad on VIN, but just in case you didn't, there is a large ad on VIN advertising that they will give you $1600 for opening an Amex card.

Presumably, this guy tells you to open the Gold Biz card or the Plat card, spend money on it (though I don't know how) and then to call and match it to 100k MR, which he then buys off of you for 1.6c per point.

I don't know if this guy is part of the Dans Deals forums or not, but all I can say is that this is extremely idiotic and very pathetic. This is complete exploitation of the MR program, and may cause Amex to stop matching the MR points.

It is one thing to "share this deal with your friends", it is another to make a business out of this.

There are thousands of readers daily on VIN.

Just sharing my thoughts...

Offline shach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex points advertisement on VIN
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
I don't know if this guy is part of the Dans Deals forums or not
::)
It is one thing to "share this deal with your friends", it is another to make a business out of this.
Just sharing my thoughts...
::)

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
not sure what you are getting all huffy about. Where on the ad does it say anything about the codes? (unlike the sd ad)
also, it seems like you are real mad you didnt think of that idea first. I do not think there is a single person here who would not do such a thing if it can bring them in a lot of money. Why is it any different than what dan does?
I am not saying anything negative about dan i think he is a great person and helps lots of people but lets be real, this is not the only site that discusses these deals.

Offline yare

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »
not sure what you are getting all huffy about. Where on the ad does it say anything about the codes? (unlike the sd ad)
also, it seems like you are real mad you didnt think of that idea first. I do not think there is a single person here who would not do such a thing if it can bring them in a lot of money. Why is it any different than what dan does?
I am not saying anything negative about dan i think he is a great person and helps lots of people but lets be real, this is not the only site that discusses these deals.
+1   don't be naive; it's all about the money.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:35:27 AM »
FYI he is the same guy as the regular advertiser on Dansdeals.com. See page 71 on the Ami magazine. So im not sure why he is against putting his phone number on these online ads :D

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
FYI he is the same guy as the regular advertiser on Dansdeals.com. See page 71 on the Ami magazine. So im not sure why he is against putting his phone number on these online ads :D
first of all not sure why you posted this- for whatever reason he didnt post his phone number......................

second: what you mean page 71 on the ami magazine?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
Just remember this: Amex is Massive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm gona post a picture of one of amex's many buildings each time I see such posts... Here's my first:

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
I would like to clarify my OP.

What disturbes me is not the fact that he is making money. (Although I may have used wording that implied that).

It never bothers me if another Yid makes Parnassah, and it certainly doesn't bother me that he is helping other Yidden with Parnassah.

What does disturb me, however, is the fact that this code matching "trick" is being advertised to the public. I am not naive enough to believe that Amex will let this go on forever, and the more calls and pm's they get to match offers - the more likely they are to shut this down.

I am pretty new here at DD forums (great forums btw), and I have been a member of FT for quite a few years. I have never seen a "backdoor" trick last forever. The CC companies always catch on and shut them down. (Think churning).

Don't wake the sleeping giant.

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »
I would like to clarify my OP.

What disturbes me is not the fact that he is making money. (Although I may have used wording that implied that).

It never bothers me if another Yid makes Parnassah, and it certainly doesn't bother me that he is helping other Yidden with Parnassah.

What does disturb me, however, is the fact that this code matching "trick" is being advertised to the public. I am not naive enough to believe that Amex will let this go on forever, and the more calls and pm's they get to match offers - the more likely they are to shut this down.

I am pretty new here at DD forums (great forums btw), and I have been a member of FT for quite a few years. I have never seen a "backdoor" trick last forever. The CC companies always catch on and shut them down. (Think churning).

Don't wake the sleeping giant.
We discussed this many times already, American Express will not shut this offer down as long as new cardmembers sign up and a certain portion keep the cards. In essence we are marketing for them for free,(or for whatever it is we make) as we are doing all the leg work and all they have to do is offer the points. Personally I have witnessed many people sign up for their cards with the plan to cancel and after realizing how good some off their benefits and rewards are decide to keep the card(s) and use them as their primary cards. Remember, amex spends millions a year on marketing and this is just a drop in the bucket. Additionally, they are well aware of most of whats transpiring and rather then get more strict they have relaxed their better offer policy and match any joe shmoe who calls in. You can even say you saw it on a blog; they will honor it.   
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
first of all not sure why you posted this- for whatever reason he didnt post his phone number......................

second: what you mean page 71 on the ami magazine?
I was just pointing out that on page 71 of the Ami magazine, he did post his number.
I also wanted to point out that he is the official Dansdeals.com miles advertiser, so we should cut him some slack :D