Author Topic: Which desktop/laptop should I get?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Which desktop/laptop should I get?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2023, 06:32:55 AM »
I don't know much about laptops, but I need a new one.
Everyday usage... Would prefer 1TB of storage... Looking to spend less than $600.

Is this a good deal? Or better to wait for Black Friday?

Thanks

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3525-laptop/cai153525w11p1c528
Currently priced at $499 (instead of "$709")

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2023, 06:37:42 AM »
I don't know much about laptops, but I need a new one.
Everyday usage... Would prefer 1TB of storage... Looking to spend less than $600.

Is this a good deal? Or better to wait for Black Friday?

Thanks

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3525-laptop/cai153525w11p1c528
Currently priced at $499 (instead of "$709")
That's worth about $500 (not $709). There's no guarantee that the system with 1TB will be the one that will get the Black Friday discounts, and if it does, you may save another $50. Is it worth waiting for such a sofek?
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2023, 06:42:48 AM »
Got it, thanks.

I don't need this one specifically...
I just want any half decent Dell laptop with 1TB.

I would imagine they would have some better deals on Black Fri for 1TB laptops within my price range, no?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2023, 06:45:54 AM »
Got it, thanks.

I don't need this one specifically...
I just want any half decent Dell laptop with 1TB.

I would imagine they would have some better deals on Black Fri for 1TB laptops within my price range, no?
Possible but not guaranteed, from my experience. And the discount is tiny compared to the discounts you can get all year. The computer that sells retail for $300, you can usually find for $220 and sometimes $180, so Black Friday it will be $160. The retail $700 is available all year between $480 and $550, and on Black Friday you see it for $450. Plus not every computer gets a Black friday discount. You get my drift?
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2023, 07:26:18 AM »
Possible but not guaranteed, from my experience. And the discount is tiny compared to the discounts you can get all year. The computer that sells retail for $300, you can usually find for $220 and sometimes $180, so Black Friday it will be $160. The retail $700 is available all year between $480 and $550, and on Black Friday you see it for $450. Plus not every computer gets a Black friday discount. You get my drift?
Yes got it Thanks

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2023, 07:58:11 AM »
Would this one be worth paying an extra $50 for?
Seems similar, just a better processor and graphics card....

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3520-laptop/nn3520gknqs

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2023, 08:13:58 AM »
Would this one be worth paying an extra $50 for?
Seems similar, just a better processor and graphics card....

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3520-laptop/nn3520gknqs
A better processor, yes, but where do you get that the graphics (not "card", they are both integrated) is better?
Also, the cheaper one will get you better battery life assuming everything else is equal.
Ask yourself if you do anything that maxes out the processor, so that getting a better one is more important. If not, get the cheaper one. Indeed, if not for your storage requirement, I would assume you don't need as good a processor as the cheaper one has, much less the better one.

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2023, 08:15:53 AM »
A better processor, yes, but where do you get that the graphics (not "card", they are both integrated) is better?
Also, the cheaper one will get you better battery life assuming everything else is equal.
Ask yourself if you do anything that maxes out the processor, so that getting a better one is more important. If not, get the cheaper one. Indeed, if not for your storage requirement, I would assume you don't need as good a processor as the cheaper one has, much less the better one.
Ok, thanks for your help!

Offline ajs625

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2023, 12:37:55 PM »
Looking for a laptop that is light and portable for work use. I currently have a Surface Laptop 1. I am considering Lenovo X1 Carbon. Are there better options that are a bit cheaper that I should consider?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2023, 10:12:08 AM »
Looking for a laptop that is light and portable for work use. I currently have a Surface Laptop 1. I am considering Lenovo X1 Carbon. Are there better options that are a bit cheaper that I should consider?
It's a good computer but overpriced IMHO. Battery life has suffered since Intel 12. If you find a good price, try a LG Gram, Samsung Galaxy Book3 Pro (different sizes though), Acer Swift 14 (not Swift 3), HP Dragonfly, Latitude 7000 series... but the X1 Carbon is good too.