Author Topic: Advice on the best bank for joint accounts?  (Read 4779 times)

Offline ringsher

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Advice on the best bank for joint accounts?
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
I know most of this thread is about credit cards, but I figured many credit card savvy people would also know about the best banks for checking and savings accounts. I've had to start thinking seriously about investing and savings, and my head is rolling with all the information out there! :o  My husband and I want to open a joint checking account (I actually want to open up two new accounts, where only one will be used to pay off loans). The only requirement I know we need is that the bank be accessible internationally (primarily Europe and North America), so banks with little to no international atm fees are a plus. Does anyone have any advice on banks that provide great service, low penalty fees, and low international use fees? And, this may sound like a stupid question, but are there bank accounts with perks similar to those provided by credit cards (i.e., rewards for spending from that account, or for setting up a direct deposit), or are these promotions solely found in the credit card market?

Thanks in advance!

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on the best bank for joint accounts?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:41:52 PM »
I know most of this thread is about credit cards, but I figured many credit card savvy people would also know about the best banks for checking and savings accounts. I've had to start thinking seriously about investing and savings, and my head is rolling with all the information out there! :o  My husband and I want to open a joint checking account (I actually want to open up two new accounts, where only one will be used to pay off loans). The only requirement I know we need is that the bank be accessible internationally (primarily Europe and North America), so banks with little to no international atm fees are a plus. Does anyone have any advice on banks that provide great service, low penalty fees, and low international use fees? And, this may sound like a stupid question, but are there bank accounts with perks similar to those provided by credit cards (i.e., rewards for spending from that account, or for setting up a direct deposit), or are these promotions solely found in the credit card market?

Thanks in advance!

Regarding the forex fees this list might help.

Personally I have a joint TD Bank account as they used to have 0% international fees (its now changed to $2 per transaction which is still very good) and there is no monthly fee if you have $100 in the account...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:29:26 AM »
I know most of this thread is about credit cards, but I figured many credit card savvy people would also know about the best banks for checking and savings accounts. I've had to start thinking seriously about investing and savings, and my head is rolling with all the information out there! :o  My husband and I want to open a joint checking account (I actually want to open up two new accounts, where only one will be used to pay off loans). The only requirement I know we need is that the bank be accessible internationally (primarily Europe and North America), so banks with little to no international atm fees are a plus. Does anyone have any advice on banks that provide great service, low penalty fees, and low international use fees?

Schwab.

And, this may sound like a stupid question, but are there bank accounts with perks similar to those provided by credit cards (i.e., rewards for spending from that account, or for setting up a direct deposit), or are these promotions solely found in the credit card market?

Thanks in advance!

BankDirect (email Dan for a referral).

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:18:44 AM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:36:57 AM »
If you have the cash lying around...
https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/pands/detail.do?ID=Citigold

Citigold is a great account from Citibank but requires you to park $50K there.  Pretty much all fees (no fees for bounced checks, etc) and you don't pay fees for most Citi credit cards like the AA cards.

All Citigold members receive these services for free:
-Standard checkbook orders
-Overdraft Protection Transfer Fee
-Stop payment requests
-Incoming wire transfers—plus a 50% discount on outgoing online wire transfers made via Citibank® Online
-Money orders
-Travelers checks
-Foreign exchange fee

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 01:41:56 AM »

Citigold is a great account from Citibank but requires you to park $50K there.  Pretty much all fees (no fees for bounced checks, etc) and you don't pay fees for most Citi credit cards like the AA cards.

-Stop payment requests
-Incoming wire transfers—plus a 50% discount on outgoing online wire transfers made via Citibank® Online
-Money orders
-Travelers checks
-Foreign exchange fee

This sounds interesting. Is it $50k per account or $50k on deposit overall?

Edit, according to their site it's "$50,000 or more for all linked deposit and retirement accounts". It seems Citigold can also be had for $30/month.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:46:13 AM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »
This sounds interesting. Is it $50k per account or $50k on deposit overall?

Edit, according to their site it's "$50,000 or more for all linked deposit and retirement accounts". It seems Citigold can also be had for $30/month.
chase premier acc (free if you olso have chase biz acc free with 5 debt card trans) oferrs olot of great stuff free money order free checks free travler checks safety deposit box ect.....

Offline ringsher

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
Thanks so much for all of your help! We'll look through all of these together and hopefully pick an account soon!

So the Citigold account is off the map for us now, as we are recent grads who ate cereal most days and survived due to the benevolence of our parents  :)  But we're starting to work soon, and my employer wants bank account info to deposit paychecks, so I figured there's no time like the present to open an account that will provide the most bang for our buck (Right now I only have a basic checking account that has no fees but provides no benefits either, and it's not an international bank either). I totally forgot to even ask about monthly fees! I'll start researching accounts at Schwab, the Chase premier account, BankDirect and TDBank.  Geez, between researching for this as well as retirement plans, 401k, etc (they want me to think about retirement already?) I'm having a bummy summer!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I'm having a bummy summer!

If you consider making (and managing your) money bummy, I'll be glad to take it :P

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »

-Stop payment requests
-Money orders
-Travelers checks
-Foreign exchange fee

are there more features to this than chase premier?
dan where do you keep most of your money?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:01:05 PM by est »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »
dan where do you keep most of your money?

Like he's going to answer that question on an open forum :P

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
+1

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 12:45:36 AM »
Like he's going to answer that question on an open forum :P

why not? its not like im asking for the account number to check how much is in there - or a branch number to know which bank to rob, but e/o has a primary account where they keep most of their money and then some other small ones for other purposes - i dont see the privacy here

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 12:58:15 AM »
why not? its not like im asking for the account number to check how much is in there - or a branch number to know which bank to rob, but e/o has a primary account where they keep most of their money and then some other small ones for other purposes - i dont see the privacy here

My hunch is Dan's a fan of BankDirect.