Author Topic: Free Genetic Testing-BFor Study for Ashkenazi Jews-BRCA Mutation  (Read 3646 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Free Genetic Testing-BFor Study for Ashkenazi Jews-BRCA Mutation
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
So anti vaxers just have more bitachon! I aspire to a level of bitachon that I cross only on red lights, replace the faucets in my house with sugar fountains, and remove the child protection bars from my 6th floor windows.

My family history is one of colon cancer. I have a colonoscopy every 3 years, which at my age is extremely unusual. It's a painless procedure that literally saves from death.

It is not a theoretical game. It's life saving knowledge.

What do you do if you find out you're genetically predisposed to a cancer? You get checked. Early and often.

I'm no Rabbi, philosopher or theologian, but bitachon is not belief without sechel, it's conviction that supersedes sechel.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »
I have issue with the tests not from a halachic view but more from a psychological concern. 
Like what it could do to you having this extra pressure of feeling like 'its coming for you' type of thing. 

Like how much is too much.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
I have issue with the tests not from a halachic view but more from a psychological concern. 
Like what it could do to you having this extra pressure of feeling like 'its coming for you' type of thing. 

Like how much is too much.
Ignorance is bliss.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
So anti vaxers just have more bitachon! I aspire to a level of bitachon that I cross only on red lights, replace the faucets in my house with sugar fountains, and remove the child protection bars from my 6th floor windows.

My family history is one of colon cancer. I have a colonoscopy every 3 years, which at my age is extremely unusual. It's a painless procedure that literally saves from death.

What do you do if you find out you're genetically predisposed to a cancer? You get checked. Early and often.

I'm no Rabbi, philosopher or theologian, but bitachon is not belief without sechel, it's conviction that supersedes sechel.
Thank you for stating it so eloquently.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »

There is bitachon, and there is hishtadlus. At some point you pass the point of hishtadlus, and you venture into the area of lack of bitachon. I am not an LOR, so I won't decide where the line should be drawn, but there is a line and you can ask your LOR where that line is.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 09:19:09 PM »
Serious question.

I'm very confused about this. Why is dor yesharim considered a lack of bitachon? Is it because even if you're tested positive for whatever there's still a chance that you're child won't get that disease. Therefore by you deciding not to take that risk by not getting married you're saying you think it's up to chance and not to hashem?

Also I think even though everybody takes a test now still  rabbanim don't allow/recommend a test to be taken after someone is engaged, what's the difference between before or after?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
After being mekayem pru urvu, I would like to think that genetic testing of all couples, for all prevelent diseases (jscreen), should be recommended.
So if someone tests positive, they shouldn't have more children?? 
This has a lot less to do with passing on a predisposition to cancer than having a predispositon to cancer.

Anyone being tested has to think about what they might do if they test positive.
Noone actually expects a positive test result.

Increased testing. Preventive, preemptive removal of, so far healthy, body parts at great risk of developing cancer.  That's when you talk to a doctor sith your LOR.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »
Women with BRCA1 mutations have over a 50% chance of developing breast cancer in their lifetime, and a third to close to half will develop ovarian cancer. Prophylactic mastectomy or oophorectomy can greatly reduce the risk, and early, frequent screening can catch those cancers while they are still treatable. Considering the prevalence of the mutation among Jews of askenazic decent, it certainly seems more worthwhile to go for this genetic testing than to the bikur cholim health screening that will tell you if you have high blood pressure....