Topic Wiki

Please edit this info in the Wiki with additions or corrections.

All airlines: No carseats in the exit row, in the row in front of the exit row, or in the row behind the exit row.
Carseats must go in the window seat or in the middle of the middle section.

Air Canada:
Policy on website:  Carseats not allowed lie-flat Business Class. Some exceptions apply {Please post if you know what these exceptions are}

American:
Policy on website: No restrictions.
F/A manual: Carseats not allowed in direct aisle access business or first class on any plane with direct aisle access including A330, A350, 772, 77W, 787 due to the seats being angled more than 18 degrees from the aircraft centerline.

Cathay Pacific:
Policy on website: Carseat allowed in first class, premium economy, and economy.
Carseat allowed in all classes on the A350.
Only a specially reserved Cathay Provided Child Restraint seat allowed in business class on the 77W, A330 or A340.
No seats allowed in business class on the 772.
Only a specially reserved Cathay Provided Child Restraint seat allowed in coach on the A340.

Delta:
Policy on website: Carseats not allowed in business class on A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft due to airbag seat belts.

El Al:
Policy on website: For safety reasons, it is possible to purchase a business class​ seat for an infant in the 787 fleet (Dreamliner)​ but it is not possible to install a baby seat in this seat.​ (https://www.elal.com/en/PassengersInfo/Useful-Info/SpecialNeeds-Passenger/Pages/Infants.aspx)
F/A manual: {Please fill this in if you know the 787 policies}

JetBlue:
Policy on website: No restrictions.
F/A manual: Mint class and EMS seats on newer aircraft have airbag seatbelts. Conflicting info from F/As on whether a seatbelt extension permits the use of a carseat in an airbag seat.

United:
Policy on website: Carseats not allowed in Global first class, or in any rear facing seat.
F/A manual: Carseats not allowed in business class on the 77W due to the seats being angled more than 18 degrees from the aircraft centerline. Unknown why this applies to the forward facing seats.
« Last edited by J-town on February 02, 2020, 02:00:07 AM »

Author Topic: Carseat Restrictions On Planes  (Read 19154 times)

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Carseat Restrictions On Planes
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
Don't those seats have airbag seatbelts?
Even if they do, using a "seatbelt extension" should remove that issue (you might just need to know to ask for one)..

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webcgi.exe?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(1939)#s5
In seats equipped with an airbag seatbelt, JetBlue-provided seatbelt extensions must be used in conjunction with the seatbelt to secure the CRS. For safety purposes, if the CRS is not able to be properly secured with the airbag seatbelt, the customer may be required to move to a seat with a standard seatbelt in order to use the CRS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »
Even if they do, using a "seatbelt extension" should remove that issue (you might just need to know to ask for one)..

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webcgi.exe?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(1939)#s5
Technically it does. But practically, we had a hard time getting a carseat safely installed with an extender. JetBlue moved us from the EMS seat and refunded the upgrade fee.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »
First time traveling with a baby, traveling on an AA E-175 domestic in Y
What are the chances they will let me bring my Doona on board if I buy a seat and what are the chances of them letting it on board if I don't buy a seat but there is a seat available?

Offline dandu16

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton gold, Hyatt Platnum, SPG Gold, Skyteam Silver
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
They do, that’s what they claimed. Allowed us in with a car seat in the way there, not on the return.

Anything I can do?
"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves"

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2019, 11:43:57 PM »
First time traveling with a baby, traveling on an AA E-175 domestic in Y
What are the chances they will let me bring my Doona on board if I buy a seat and what are the chances of them letting it on board if I don't buy a seat but there is a seat available?

If you buy a seat then definitely yes. If you didn't buy and there's an empty seat they usually do but it's not guaranteed. There are sometimes rude FAs that just won't allow it.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2019, 11:44:20 PM »
They do, that’s what they claimed. Allowed us in with a car seat in the way there, not on the return.

Anything I can do?

Did you buy a seat?

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2019, 11:46:11 PM »
If you buy a seat then definitely yes. If you didn't buy and there's an empty seat they usually do but it's not guaranteed. There are sometimes rude FAs that just won't allow it.
Thanks

Where's my best bet to ask, at the lounge, GA or FA?

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2019, 11:48:46 PM »
Thanks

Where's my best bet to ask, at the lounge, GA or FA?

Never tried it myself but I imagine I would start by asking at the gate.

Offline chaim0m

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2019, 02:20:43 AM »
Flew aeroflot in J some time back A330 no issue with car seat, also was an aisle seat.
travelcm

Offline dandu16

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton gold, Hyatt Platnum, SPG Gold, Skyteam Silver
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »
"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves"

Offline Ekay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »
Any issue with the doona on B6?

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 12:50:01 AM »
Yes

If you bought a seat for the approved car seat and they wouldn't let it on, I would definitely contact the airline for compensation. I never experienced that they refused a car seat for a paid seat. I can see them denying if you were hoping for a free seat, but definitely not if you paid for it and the car seat is approved.

Offline J-town

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2020, 01:52:35 AM »
What's Swiss's policy with using a car seat in business class on their a330-300?

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2020, 11:53:13 AM »
After reading Dans articles on child safety on an airplane, I was convinced and determined to never fly with a child that is not restrained in a car seat.

I let my wife know that I will be getting a seat for our 15 month old on a recent trip. She later told me that she was embarrassed to tell her family and friends that we purchased a seat for our baby because they would think we are crazy.

Fast forward to after the trip:
Our baby didn’t even know he left NY as he slept on both flights from before takeoff through landing. My wife told me she would never fly with a child and no car seat ever! :)

On the return flight the flight attendant called a ground agent onto the plane as she wasn’t thrilled about it. I guess she would have rather dealt with angry passengers when she had a crying baby on board. I didn’t have to provide all the proof and documentation that I had with me.. as the agent was ok as long as I told her that I checked and the Doona is approved for aircraft. She told the flight attendant to get us an extension for the seatbelt so he can be strapped in more securely.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
After reading Dans articles on child safety on an airplane, I was convinced and determined to never fly with a child that is not restrained in a car seat.

I let my wife know that I will be getting a seat for our 15 month old on a recent trip. She later told me that she was embarrassed to tell her family and friends that we purchased a seat for our baby because they would think we are crazy.

Our baby didn’t even know he left NY as he slept on both flights from before takeoff through landing. My wife told me she would never fly with a child and no car seat ever! :)

On the return flight the flight attendant called a ground agent onto the plane as she wasn’t thrilled about it. I guess she would have rather dealt with angry passengers when she had a crying baby on board. I didn’t have to provide all the proof and documentation that I had with me.. as the agent was ok as long as I told her that I checked and the Doona is approved for aircraft. She told the flight attendant to get us an extension for the seatbelt so he can be strapped in more securely.
People don't realize how much better it is to have a seat for the kid. You're luck he did so well though. Even with his own seat, my kid let us know he wasn't happy. I can only imagine how much worse it coulve been if we didn't get hm one though.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »

We flew TK and from us to turkey they had no issues with Doona but from turkey to Israel they threw a worse tantrum then my kids but after 20 min of arguing and getting every supervisor on board they agreed to let us keep it on board...
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »
People don't realize how much better it is to have a seat for the kid. You're luck he did so well though. Even with his own seat, my kid let us know he wasn't happy. I can only imagine how much worse it coulve been if we didn't get hm one though.
i have done it both ways many times i think that kids that have a hard time flying are not going to b happy either way but its definitely a lot better when they supper tired and wanna sleep
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2020, 08:12:55 PM »
Yup, I did fail to mention that they were both evening flights and we gave him a milk bottle right before takeoff on both flights.. sorry that it didn’t work out as well for you. You definitely got your money’s worth in regards to safety!

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2021, 12:47:41 PM »
Any issues with a doona on AA A321T business?
Is business class usually Booked solid, can I rely on there being an empty seat next to me?

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »
Any issues with a doona on AA A321T business?
Is business class usually Booked solid, can I rely on there being an empty seat next to me?
I think it depends on the stewardess, i ask the gate agents if there are empty seats and if there are i just hide the stroller tag and convince the stewardess to let me on with the doona, most of the time it works