Author Topic: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?  (Read 30975 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:12 AM »
Oh, man. Are we gonna have this conversation again?

Which one?  But I'm convinced a Mediterranean diet Is vastly healthier than a monks diet.  Does meat make one fatter?  I think so, studies Show that red meat does. Obviously it worked for native Americans but they eat bison not cow's and were always active.

Lesson is, drink more wine!

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:06 AM »

If you want to be מקיים מצות ישוב הארץ, live in the land אשר תמיד עיני ה' אלוקיך בה, in the Jewish Homeland, throw your lot in with the destiny of the Jewish people, in communities where רוחניות is the main goal, that are built around תורה and יראת שמים and are willing to compromise on some creature comforts to do it, then you can have the discussion in this thread. Are there challenges? For sure. But it's largely a question of attitude.

You're making a religious argument to negate the realities of how hard it is to make it in Israel. Yishuv Eretz Yisrael is hard. Everyone agrees. But you cant say come here and give up creature comforts because its the right thing to do. Thats not an attitude issue .Thats a practical reality issue.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline emjee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »
What about a car, electronics, home costs, utility costs, etc?

Having the same standard of life in Israel would be cost prohibitive without a doubt.
I dont know what CLE standards are. However i can definitely say that i would equate my "standard of living" to the same as friends of mine in NY in the same "life stages" and living here is way more cost efficient. 

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2018, 06:28:32 PM »
You're making a religious argument to negate the realities of how hard it is to make it in Israel. Yishuv Eretz Yisrael is hard. Everyone agrees. But you cant say come here and give up creature comforts because its the right thing to do. Thats not an attitude issue .Thats a practical reality issue.
I totally disagree. When people talk about challenges and how hard it is to make it, it's not what vegetables you can buy and which cuts of meat are available. Those things, if you think the value of Yishuv Haaretz is important are just noise. The difficulty is socio-economic adjustment. Getting used to the culture. Integrating your kids. Making a parnassah. Those are real issues. Whether there is Shallot's level sushi, not so much.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2018, 10:53:00 PM »
I totally disagree. When people talk about challenges and how hard it is to make it, it's not what vegetables you can buy and which cuts of meat are available. Those things, if you think the value of Yishuv Haaretz is important are just noise. The difficulty is socio-economic adjustment. Getting used to the culture. Integrating your kids. Making a parnassah. Those are real issues. Whether there is Shallot's level sushi, not so much.
For a country that is so technologically advanced it sure is lacking in other aspects. We arent talking about Shallots. Were talking about basics. It wasnt too long ago you couldnt get milk in a carton or bottle. Thats not socio-economics thats practicality. Getting used to lack of culture is more like it.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »
LOL. Milk bottles? Again, not something I'd make a life decision based on.

Seems like you have some pent up issues with Israel. Is there something you'd like to get off your chest?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2018, 06:45:53 AM »
Assuming one isn't completely spoiled and needs everything a certain way.. when one starts complaining about milk bottles or other seemingly trivial matters I think they usually have bigger issues and negative experiences with being/living in Israel.  And when you're not happy somewhere even the milk bags can start to irritate you.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2018, 07:39:57 AM »
whats wrong with milk bags?

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »
They're great. Don't take up space in fridge and garbage when done.
Maybe they leak sometimes though

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »
They aren't what they have in America.
And that's a big problem for some.

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
They're great. Don't take up space in fridge and garbage when done.
Maybe they leak sometimes though
Put them in the produce bags

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2018, 08:13:55 AM »
At this point it's actually the same price for the milk in cartons. And they don't go bad nearly as quickly.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »
Funny how you address milk bags and dont address the hardest part of living in Israel, the people. I love the land. I cant stand the people. There, got it off my chest.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2018, 08:58:05 AM »
At this point it's actually the same price for the milk in cartons. And they don't go bad nearly as quickly.
Yeah.
Funny how you address milk bags and dont address the hardest part of living in Israel, the people. I love the land. I cant stand the people. There, got it off my chest.
I didn't not address that. That is part of socioeconomic issues. I personally wouldn't say "I can't stand the people" but to each their own. Again, real issues are something that need to be worked through and determined whether you can get by sacrificing on them. It makes a lot of sense to have a discussion about them to decide whether one would want to move to Israel.
You can also say you don't see a value in living in Israel. I'll disagree, but it makes sense to say that in a conversation.
To decide based on cuts of meat, milk bags and vegetables? That's just silly

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »
Yeah.I didn't not address that. That is part of socioeconomic issues. I personally wouldn't say "I can't stand the people" but to each their own. Again, real issues are something that need to be worked through and determined whether you can get by sacrificing on them. It makes a lot of sense to have a discussion about them to decide whether one would want to move to Israel.
You can also say you don't see a value in living in Israel. I'll disagree, but it makes sense to say that in a conversation.
To decide based on cuts of meat, milk bags and vegetables? That's just silly
For sure its not about cuts of meat. But in the aggregate when you add one plus one plus one and you then have to deal with the populace and all the issues that come with that its a huge step to just up and go from America to that.

Most people have a very skewed view of what the country is about and what day to day living is like. It has no relation to anything you see or experience on vacation. Similarly it has no relation to living there as a newlywed kollel couple. I respect people who can actually make aliyah. But to say "I lived there for 5 years etc." When the experience was only as a kollel couple and then you came back to US because daddy or shver stopped paying is not living in Israel as an Oleh.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »

Most people have a very skewed view of what the country is about and what day to day living is like.
You can say that again. You've now passed step one of twelve.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »
You can say that again. You've now passed step one of twelve.

+100000

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »
For sure its not about cuts of meat. But in the aggregate when you add one plus one plus one
Certain things are not בא בחשבון at all (like milk bags)
and you then have to deal with the populace and all the issues that come with that its a huge step to just up and go from America to that.
Not sure what you think it's like dealing with Israelis day to day. Have you lived here on a long term basis?
Anyways, no one told you up and go, not sure why you're so defensive and argumentative
Most people have a very skewed view of what the country is about and what day to day living is like. It has no relation to anything you see or experience on vacation. Similarly it has no relation to living there as a newlywed kollel couple. I respect people who can actually make aliyah. But to say "I lived there for 5 years etc." When the experience was only as a kollel couple and then you came back to US because daddy or shver stopped paying is not living in Israel as an Oleh.
Not sure what populace you think you are talking to here...

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
I don't think that's true. I think there are other factors involved, but we can leave that for another day.

This thread is too funny.
If you need access to every cut of meat at cheap prices or sushi will decide where you are going to live, then yeah, Israel is not for you. (Funny they just yesterday my Israeli friends were making fun of Americans about sushi). But it's not the way it was 20 years ago. You won't suffer from lack of access to things. Is it frustrating that LED bulbs die a few months after installing them? Yes, but I choose not to let that bother me.

If you want to be מקיים מצות ישוב הארץ, live in the land אשר תמיד עיני ה' אלוקיך בה, in the Jewish Homeland, throw your lot in with the destiny of the Jewish people, in communities where רוחניות is the main goal, that are built around תורה and יראת שמים and are willing to compromise on some creature comforts to do it, then you can have the discussion in this thread. Are there challenges? For sure. But it's largely a question of attitude.

If anyone is serious about this and want to discuss תכלית, feel free to PM me and we can set up a time to discuss. Or if you want to come check it out and need accommodations RBS A for shabbos, just drop me a line.
This is one of the most beautiful posts I've seen on the forums. Kol Hakavod!

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »
Just curious and I hope it doesn't come off the wrong way.

If Healthcare is so cheap then why are there so many people coming to America to collect money and the papers they put on shul tables say they have medical debt...