Author Topic: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?  (Read 30971 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?
« on: April 22, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
I've heard so many stories of people who made Aliyah and moved back or others who are there and are struggling terribly. It seems that if you don't have some of the highest paying jobs (denist, lawyer, tech etc) that it's really hard to succeed in Israel on your own.

I realize life costs differ person to person and based on various details (what area you live in, number of kids, how you manage money etc ). 

I'd love to hear people's own experience or thoughts on the matter.

The people I know who are getting by either have some great careers or had help at the very  least to purchase their house etc.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
Is the cost of living more there?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »
No, it's much less (virtually no tuition, health insurance), but so is the income, especially for an uneducated immigrant.
ETA: Come to think of it, it's kinda like the Mexicans in the US. ;)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »
In general I'd say yes. But it really depends on what specifically. But as far as I know lots of things cost more there and salaries are less.

The one big break I'd say for most Orthodox Jews would be the cost of tuition which is generally much much less.

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 05:18:01 PM »
I've heard so many stories of people who made Aliyah and moved back or others who are there and are struggling terribly. It seems that if you don't have some of the highest paying jobs (denist, lawyer, tech etc) that it's really hard to succeed in Israel on your own.

I realize life costs differ person to person and based on various details (what area you live in, number of kids, how you manage money etc ). 

I'd love to hear people's own experience or thoughts on the matter.

The people I know who are getting by either have some great careers or had help at the very  least to purchase their house etc.
I have relatives in Israel living very modestly and they would never live anywhere else, unlike us who would move there in a heartbeat if we were threatened here. Perhaps us and millions of Israelis don’t have the same definition of success. Israel is the best place to be in the world and has opportunities for everyone, the only issue are people’s standards.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
I have relatives in Israel living very modestly and they would never live anywhere else, unlike us who would move there in a heartbeat if we were threatened here. Perhaps us and millions of Israelis don’t have the same definition of success. Israel is the best place to be in the world and has opportunities for everyone, the only issue are people’s standards.
Are those relatives that moved from the US? Or have they basically always lived there ?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
No, it's much less (virtually no tuition, health insurance), but so is the income, especially for an uneducated immigrant.
ETA: Come to think of it, it's kinda like the Mexicans in the US. ;)
What about a car, electronics, home costs, utility costs, etc?

Having the same standard of life in Israel would be cost prohibitive without a doubt.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 05:20:00 PM »
Even at low standards it seems hard to succeed. Housing especially seems to be high in most places. I don't see how those not making a very nice salary can afford to buy a place on their own.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »
Are those relatives that moved from the US? Or have they basically always lived there ?
All have moved there, I had no family in Israel before. From different places including here and from different social circles as well. Everyone is happy.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
My definition of success in this case is living modest, owning a house eventually, paying the bills without worrying too much and spending some here and there on added extra of enjoying life. No huge house. No fancy car. Not necessarily a car at all. No needing name brands. Not buying junk as far as appliances and things that should and could technically last a long while. 

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
All have moved there, I had no family in Israel before. From different places including here and from different social circles as well. Everyone is happy.
What do they do? Where do they live? And all this without help? Would love to hear some details.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
What do they do? Where do they live? And all this without help? Would love to hear some details.
I only replied to this thread because I got a notification and I don’t like hearing negative things about Israel. PM me and I’ll send you details when I can, but let’s just say that there are no college degrees involved!
I also don’t see how there would be any obstacles to your definition of success

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 05:39:37 PM »
I only replied to this thread because I got a notification and I don’t like hearing negative things about Israel. PM me and I’ll send you details when I can, but let’s just say that there are no college degrees involved!
I don't mean to start up any negativity. Just would like to have a realistic conversation. At the end of the day living in Israel isn't going to be for everyone. I'd just like to hear more basic real info and hopefully some 'sucess' stories.
Will PM you.

Any DDFers who made Aliyah?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »

Getting decent paying jobs there isn't always easy as far as I understand. Without a degree especially. It doesn't mean you can't. But I think it's hard. And without that how does one afford a house when housing costs so much? Saying there would be no obstacles so easily like that seems a bit far fetched to me.

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
I don’t have any personal experience but I did meet two American families that made Aliyah. The primary bread winners of both travel extensively to the US for business. One in fact works 10 days in the US and then 10 days from home. 

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
Anecdotally, fwiu accountants at big 4 Israel get paid a quarter of what they would get in the US. (Which isn't much!)

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »
What about a car, electronics, home costs, utility costs, etc?

Having the same standard of life in Israel would be cost prohibitive without a doubt.
Many live there w/o a car, partially because because it's not as necessary. Housing is definitely more than CLE, but not necessarily more than NY. But you're right about the standards; as others here have said, the standards there are lower.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »
Many live there w/o a car, partially because because it's not as necessary. Housing is definitely more than CLE, but not necessarily more than NY....
Both of these things depend greatly on where in Israel you choose to live.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 08:04:45 PM »
Both of these things depend greatly on where in Israel you choose to live.
Correct. Just my little corner...

Offline Kabrams1618

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
I can only talk from personal experience but this is what we encountered.  We made aliyah seven years ago with three teenagers (everyone said bad idea), no job (gave up a six figure job) and no place to live a month before moving (also a no no from all friends and family). Sold our modest house and all belongings and quit job so no turning back.  Made a committment to first year of ulpan and adult yeshiva.  Lived off of aliyah benefits and stuffing envelopes for a non profit ( for real, had whole family stuffing and working small jobs.  Also small savings.  Took a job as a kindergarten assistant maternity leave to get a foot in the door.  You do what you need to do, I was a 20 year teacher and university instructor in the states.  Within 3 years was principal.  Daughter went to university for four years, practically free and has two degrees.  Has more job offers than she has time for.  Not great salaries but jobs.  Son did elite army unit and yeshiva (yes it is possible) and completing  first college degree. 
 He Just got married to an Israeli  girl who doesn’t speak much English and they live in a very modest apartment and both work part time as she finishes her second academic degree and he finishes Yeshiva and first degree.  No, they do not get supported by parents, they make it on their own. We live in a modest apartment in Jerusalem with an ugly purple sofa that came with the apartment and no car.  Material wise we live very basically but fulfillment wise all of us couldn’t be happier. 
Is this for all Jews? I wish I could say yes, but know people have different priorities.  If you read this an say “he must be crazy” then that  is your answer.  Are there problems here, both financial and otherwise?  Of course.  Do all make the transition? No.  Who does it make the greatest impact on? The kids.  Kids here are on a whole different level as compared to kids in the states, which is an area for a different discussion.  And yes, our children are even more religious here.  They are living  and making Jewish history. Our  son’s commander’s course was packed with religious boys and our girls do national service. Feel  free to PM me if you have any questions that we can help with.