Author Topic: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?  (Read 31439 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: How hard is it financially to make it in Israel?
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »
This tells us very clearly that you are okay with hechsherim that many here will not be and that their experience will therefore not be the same.
Top hechserim meat are cheaper than America. 

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »
Top hechserim meat are cheaper than America. 
Chicken?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
trips should always be free :)
FTFY, especially Y.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
No, because it's free. But they are trying to convince the rest of the country that they live in the best possible location and everyone else is doing it wrong while they live in Eden. So it's pretty close to CLE.
That ship sailed years ago. Now we're telling everyone to please not move here. Way #toomuchwinning going on here since the vouchers started. Massive housing shortage, jammed schools, and frum streets now full of terrible drivers.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
I can only talk from personal experience but this is what we encountered.  We made aliyah seven years ago with three teenagers (everyone said bad idea), no job (gave up a six figure job) and no place to live a month before moving (also a no no from all friends and family). Sold our modest house and all belongings and quit job so no turning back.  Made a committment to first year of ulpan and adult yeshiva.  Lived off of aliyah benefits and stuffing envelopes for a non profit ( for real, had whole family stuffing and working small jobs.  Also small savings.  Took a job as a kindergarten assistant maternity leave to get a foot in the door.  You do what you need to do, I was a 20 year teacher and university instructor in the states.  Within 3 years was principal.  Daughter went to university for four years, practically free and has two degrees.  Has more job offers than she has time for.  Not great salaries but jobs.  Son did elite army unit and yeshiva (yes it is possible) and completing  first college degree. 
 He Just got married to an Israeli  girl who doesn’t speak much English and they live in a very modest apartment and both work part time as she finishes her second academic degree and he finishes Yeshiva and first degree.  No, they do not get supported by parents, they make it on their own. We live in a modest apartment in Jerusalem with an ugly purple sofa that came with the apartment and no car.  Material wise we live very basically but fulfillment wise all of us couldn’t be happier. 
Is this for all Jews? I wish I could say yes, but know people have different priorities.  If you read this an say “he must be crazy” then that  is your answer.  Are there problems here, both financial and otherwise?  Of course.  Do all make the transition? No.  Who does it make the greatest impact on? The kids.  Kids here are on a whole different level as compared to kids in the states, which is an area for a different discussion.  And yes, our children are even more religious here.  They are living  and making Jewish history. Our  son’s commander’s course was packed with religious boys and our girls do national service. Feel  free to PM me if you have any questions that we can help with.
Seems you know exactly what your priorities are.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
Chicken?
I'm not sure exactly, I believe I pay roughly $3.50 a pound for cutlets. What's the norm in America?

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
Anecdotally, fwiu accountants at big 4 Israel get paid a quarter of what they would get in the US. (Which isn't much!)
My co-worker switched to Israel recently into a big 4 and got half his salary.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
I'm not sure exactly, I believe I pay roughly $3.50 a pound for cutlets. What's the norm in America?
On sale in KRM its $3.99LB Normal $4.69 - $4.99

The quality of the US meat is vastly superior to Israeli meats. You cant get a rib steak or for that matter any decent cut that even resembles steak in Israel. It's almost like they draw a grid on the cows and cut squares and rectangles.   
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »

The quality of the US meat is vastly superior to Israeli meats. You cant get a rib steak or for that matter any decent cut that even resembles steak in Israel. It's almost like they draw a grid on the cows and cut squares and rectangles.   
;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »

As I said

Cost of living is less, cost of living on their previous American standards is usually more.

Although I will agree that the average frozen bulk packages of meat in the local supermarket are like that, any and every butcher will cut you a proper steak.  But I'm fine sticking with my misformed London Broil for $4.60 a pound (yes, I know that's not actually a real cut)
And the chicken is the same stuff.

Offline mochada

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2018, 01:41:05 PM »
As I said

Although I will agree that the average frozen bulk packages of meat in the local supermarket are like that, any and every butcher will cut you a proper steak.  But I'm fine sticking with my misformed London Broil for $4.60 a pound (yes, I know that's not actually a real cut)

...but don't you have protexia and only have the finest?  ;D

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
...but don't you have protexia and only have the finest?  ;D
Sure, and I only get the finest. But nonetheless I see no fault in the $4 a lb meat.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
As I said

Malformed square of bovine flesh. Appetizing, isnt it?

I took one look at unbroiled chicken liver and swore I'd never have liver in Israel again.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
Malformed square of bovine flesh. Appetizing, isnt it?

I took one look at unbroiled chicken liver and swore I'd never have liver in Israel again.
You remind me of this.
https://youtu.be/TrSL5MlDzNM

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »
You remind me of this.
https://youtu.be/TrSL5MlDzNM
Hardly. Osher Ad meat department did me in.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2018, 11:16:14 PM »
I saw our salary scale when I was at a b4 and I think it was 50-60%

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
i am married, living in israel for about 13 years. 4 kids- monthly tuition is about 600nis a month. Will go up soon to about 1000nis a month. me and my wife work, spend little and live in a 3 bedroom apt. No one should move to Israel to move up in life financially or wanting to live with luxuries. Those are both not reason to move to israel. With that said, a simple middle class life style (i have no debt, and pay my bills in full each month with leftovers), own a home, no car- but if i wanted i could afford one. I have gone back to the states for summers for the last 8 years, i found food to be much more expensive there. Tricks to making it work - starting here when your young if possible, dont be afraid to start off with a low paying job and work hard to move up. If you can take a USA job to israel (via the internet etc) that is one of the most solid ways to make aliyah. family of 6 - we live on about 16,000nis a month, without being stingy on expenses but living simply. I go out to eat, travel, vacation etc. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »
i am married, living in israel for about 13 years. 4 kids- monthly tuition is about 600nis a month. Will go up soon to about 1000nis a month. me and my wife work, spend little and live in a 3 bedroom apt. No one should move to Israel to move up in life financially or wanting to live with luxuries. Those are both not reason to move to israel. With that said, a simple middle class life style (i have no debt, and pay my bills in full each month with leftovers), own a home, no car- but if i wanted i could afford one. I have gone back to the states for summers for the last 8 years, i found food to be much more expensive there. Tricks to making it work - starting here when your young if possible, dont be afraid to start off with a low paying job and work hard to move up. If you can take a USA job to israel (via the internet etc) that is one of the most solid ways to make aliyah. family of 6 - we live on about 16,000nis a month, without being stingy on expenses but living simply. I go out to eat, travel, vacation etc. 
Very cool.
Care to share a breakdown of expenses and where you live?

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
Very cool.
Care to share a breakdown of expenses and where you live?
Rent 6500nis (I own a place, but rent it and rent elsewhere (complicated- i live in the old city which is not a standard place, but its best for my job)
tuition- 600-1000
utilities including property tax 2500 approx
3000 for food?? Hard to tell
1500 other expenses. clothing etc
600 for additional medical insurance. (reduces some of the issues of socialized medicine)

This is a super generic off the top of my head list...not to be held against me.

Offline satturn

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »
when i first got married i lived on 5500 nis a month. (plus a side job sponsored by dansdeals of credit card point "optimization") but im not sure that can be had anymore.

Also monthly expenses shoot up if i need to buy an appliance or pesach hits....

I just got a new air conditioner that set me back 4500ns. A new fridge- 3000nis. But those have to swallowed into the year accounting not the monthly. 

I do live very simply, but not poor or lacking in any way. We have meat or chicken for dinner almost every night. I have cleaning help and babysitters when needed. It was my agreement when i got married and we chose to live here. We would be simple and spend thrifty, but never have we had to say no to any form of basic needs or standards of life due to money. there where times that we had small amounts of debt, but nothing that was not paid off in a year or so etc....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:52:55 AM by satturn »