Author Topic: Looking for an Ear Thermometer  (Read 3991 times)

Offline RelatedToMendy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an Ear Thermometer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:23 PM »
What then is? Only the ones that are torture for the little ones?
Actually yes. Rectal. I think it's more torture for you then it is for them. Either way, I'm just repeating information I've heard from pretty reliable sources. We've stopped using ours and stick to Rectal. I would suggest speaking to a Dr. before investing (even $30)... That's $30 we have just sitting in our medicine cabinet that we'll never get back.

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle, HHonors Gold, Platinum Medallion, United 1k, AA Executive Platinum
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
Sorry I know it is not an answer to your question, but I have heard from Several Pediatricians that these are not reliable for taking kids temperatures.

Just an FYI..
im not sure what u mean by reliable, usually when i feel that im under the weather and i check it with the ear or sensor thermometer, it tells me from 100 degrees +. i dont think it makes a diff if u have 100.2 or 100.7 ur still sick, and anyways how off do u think it is?
if u have 103 + then u should start getting worried, but these thermometers arent off by a full degree

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
don't doctors use these kinds, albeit a bit more pricey...

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
actually my doc uses the braun one

Offline RelatedToMendy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Maybe, but I would feel diferrent (although it's just mental) between having 100.9 and 101, wouldn't you? Anywhoo, I have nothing to back my claim except my Pediatrician, and the fact that I've tried in on myself and kids and have never gotten consistant reading. The Doc did say that it may be useful to let you know that you have fever, just not good for an accurate reading.

don't doctors use these kinds, albeit a bit more pricey...
im not sure what u mean by reliable, usually when i feel that im under the weather and i check it with the ear or sensor thermometer, it tells me from 100 degrees +. i dont think it makes a diff if u have 100.2 or 100.7 ur still sick, and anyways how off do u think it is?
if u have 103 + then u should start getting worried, but these thermometers arent off by a full degree

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »
I'd definitely spend $30 for a thermometer that is .1 off. And I doubt the other thermometers work perfectly either. Supposedly mercury was the best, but they got banned.