Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
yitzy93
Capshnell

Places To Eat:
shalanu pizza and grill - Chabad
Dinitz (and small kosher store near it)
King Solomon (https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=924.msg1991612#msg1991612)
King David hotel restaurant

Places to Stay:
King David
Intercontinental
President hotel
Hotel Maximilian
Salvator superior apartments
Boscolo prague autograph collection

Sheraton
Hilton old town
Marriott
Hilton Prague

Places to see:
Jewish quarter- cemetery (maharal and kli yakar), 6 shuls, museum, (can daven micha/maariv at oldnew shul and get free entry),
old town square - municipal house, powder tower, astronomical clock (hourly show), wenclesas square,
Charles bridge (by boat?- Prague Venice boat),
Palace,
metronome- nice view point,
petrin tower viewpoint,
victov hill, free army museum,

Noda beyebuda kever (at zizkov TV tower in prague 3, its an easy 4 stops on the metro from old town, open every day till 4 friday till 2),
Museum, markets (havelska street market, parizska window shopping (right off the ghetto), lesser town (mala strana), dancing house,
water night show at Prague 7,
cable car??, 
45 min night boat tour on river,

Terezin concentration camp -  Drive or hr bus from train station

Holesav- Kevarim of shach , kolin, nikolsberg,

Tips:
can use Triposo app to tour

Tour guide Michael Dushinski, midushy@gmail.com, +420606498214
$80 per hour, minimum 4 hours.

King David hotel has a tour everyday to the major places.

Shacharis
6:30 King David
7:30 King David
7:45 Chabad
8 kehila building (near altneu)

Kosher list

1) always keep a few krona change in your pockets for bathroom breaks. It costs about $0.15-$0.25 USD (in Krona) per visit no one will let you in for free. (besided the chabad restaurants).

2) You can rent boats to go on the Vlatlava river, not sure the cost. You can also rent "City Bikes" in the old town square for 300 Czech krona. (About $12) for 2 hours & every additional hour its 50 krona which is about $2 USD.

3) All Jewish attractions close at 6pm (or 4 in winter).

« Last edited by yitzy93 on December 27, 2023, 08:23:21 PM »

Author Topic: Prague Master Thread  (Read 143496 times)

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Prague Master Thread
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
I would like to take the train from Prague to Vienna either motzei shabbos or sunday?
The trains to Vienna are quite frequent so you shouldn't have a  problem. I believe their schedule is available online.

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
Check this out:
http://www.pragueczechtravel.com/prague-tips/prague-to-vienna-by-train.php

Here is the Train Schedule for trains leaving to Vienna from the Main (Hlavni) Train Station: (as of April 28, 2012)

That website shows

Here is the Train Schedule for trains leaving to Vienna from the Main (Hlavni) Train Station: (as of April 28, 2012)
Train leaves the station at:
0:42
5:57
8:30
10:57
12:30
13:30
16:30
17:30

The travel time is around 4 hours and 15 minutes.

I would like to go in the summer so motzei shabbos will be after the 5:30 train, does it makes sense to take the 12:42 train? or should I wait for Sunday morning?

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
The overnight train may be a longer trip so you might want to check travel times. The trip is pretty painless and easy. Seats were really comfortable too, better than most economy class seats. We had a whole compartment to ourselves (6 seats, we were 2 people).

Offline SOS

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
is the train station safe so late at night?

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
Is thurs afternoon to motzei shabbos enough time in Prague?

Yes.

Offline bubble347

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »
is the train station safe so late at night?
I was there at around 2am, and it was quite creepy. My wife was seriously panicking so if you can avoid it I would recommend that.
Watch this inspiring video.

Offline SOS

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
The benefit of taking the night train, is that I don't kill a day on the train (and save on hotels that night)

Offline harrym

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
Can anyone recommend which guide to download on kindle for Prague?

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »
I downloaded the triposo app from the App Store and found that to be very helpful. On this topic: I spent about 2 and a half days in Prague from mon night till thurs morn. It was more than enough time. We had a tour guide for the jewish ghetto(the Shuls and the cemetery) and then took us across town to the kever of the Noda Beyehuda and his family which is located under (almost literally-the rest of the cemetery is literally under) the Zizkov Television tower(the cemetery is only open a few days a week during afternoon so check beire you go for hours. From there we went to Charles bridge  by cab walked across and walked up to the castle(about 20 min) which has a gorgeous view of the entire city we didn't actually go into the castle as it closes at 4 during the winter and we got there at 4. We went back to our apartment for the night from there. The next day we were planning on going to terezin to see the concentration camp but due to a miscommunication with the driver by the time he showed up it was not worth traveling there anymore. Instead we just walked around the city went to some cable car type of thing up a mountain on the other side if the river    It looked interesting but was closed. We went to the astronomical click and saw the towers etc. old town square had loads of street performers of which some were interesting. Then we walked to wenclesas square which is not too far from the Jerusalem synagogue which was closed(didn't know wen it is open) but still worth it as the facade is of the nicest I've ever seen. All in all prague is just a beautiful city to just stroll around and get lost. As per the restaurants we only ate at the chabad restaurants which were very decent. This was based in recommendation (kashrus wise) from a few people who I believe are reliable and travel there often. As per the kashrus on beer (which is almost running from the faucets in this city and tastes really good) crc Chicago has on their website some helpful info. Any more questions I'd more than happy to answer if I can.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
And oh btw sorry or the lengthy comment just figured I'd get it all down while I'm at it.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
And oh btw sorry or the lengthy comment just figured I'd get it all down while I'm at it.
Thanks. Inserting paragraphs would make it infinitely more readable
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline penina

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
I downloaded the triposo app from the App Store and found that to be very helpful. On this topic: I spent about 2 and a half days in Prague from mon night till thurs morn. It was more than enough time. We had a tour guide for the jewish ghetto(the Shuls and the cemetery) and then took us across town to the kever of the Noda Beyehuda and his family which is located under (almost literally-the rest of the cemetery is literally under) the Zizkov Television tower(the cemetery is only open a few days a week during afternoon so check beire you go for hours. From there we went to Charles bridge  by cab walked across and walked up to the castle(about 20 min) which has a gorgeous view of the entire city we didn't actually go into the castle as it closes at 4 during the winter and we got there at 4. We went back to our apartment for the night from there. The next day we were planning on going to terezin to see the concentration camp but due to a miscommunication with the driver by the time he showed up it was not worth traveling there anymore. Instead we just walked around the city went to some cable car type of thing up a mountain on the other side if the river    It looked interesting but was closed. We went to the astronomical click and saw the towers etc. old town square had loads of street performers of which some were interesting. Then we walked to wenclesas square which is not too far from the Jerusalem synagogue which was closed(didn't know wen it is open) but still worth it as the facade is of the nicest I've ever seen. All in all prague is just a beautiful city to just stroll around and get lost. As per the restaurants we only ate at the chabad restaurants which were very decent. This was based in recommendation (kashrus wise) from a few people who I believe are reliable and travel there often. As per the kashrus on beer (which is almost running from the faucets in this city and tastes really good) crc Chicago has on their website some helpful info. Any more questions I'd more than happy to answer if I can.

Hi,
Can you give us the contact info the paces you ate in? we will be going in May.
thanks

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
As a side note the Kosher store mentioned earlier has closed down. I was in Prague in March and it was already gone.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
Hi,
Can you give us the contact info the paces you ate in? we will be going in May.
thanks
Don't have it but Chabad's website is www.chabadprague.cz should be available there.

Offline SOS

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2014, 11:02:39 PM »

where did you stay

Offline SOS

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »
was the triposo app helpful for the Jewish attractions in Prague or just Prague in general?

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »
I stayed in Salvator Superior apartments which we found on booking.com for about $60 a night. It was a gorgeous apartment and was about a 7-8 minute walk to chabad. Definitely recommended.
The triposo app was pretty helpful for the jewish sites although all it is is a short description in each site. If you are planning in going without a tour guide you might be better off getting something much more detailed that explains the history etc.
And btw I forgot to mention that a friend of mine told me that a boat tour on the river at night was very nice. I was there in the winter so I skipped it. But from the reviews online if you do it.do a 45 minute tour not any longer as it may get boring.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »
As a side note the Kosher store mentioned earlier has closed down. I was in Prague in March and it was already gone.

:'(

Offline SOS

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
I stayed in Salvator Superior apartments which we found on booking.com for about $60 a night. It was a gorgeous apartment and was about a 7-8 minute walk to chabad. Definitely recommended.
The triposo app was pretty helpful for the jewish sites although all it is is a short description in each site. If you are planning in going without a tour guide you might be better off getting something much more detailed that explains the history etc.
And btw I forgot to mention that a friend of mine told me that a boat tour on the river at night was very nice. I was there in the winter so I skipped it. But from the reviews online if you do it.do a 45 minute tour not any longer as it may get boring.

Do you know the name of the company that does the boat tour?
Is the apartments located in a good location for shabbos?

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »

Do you know the name of the company that does the boat tour?
Is the apartments located in a good location for shabbos?
To q #1 no a don't know much about it in general but from what he said sounds like you just walk along the river and there are these boats all over
To q #2 was about 8-10 minute walk to chabad and the rest if the jewish sites however to get into the building we had a chip in the key ring which opened the door electronically it could be there is a possibility of getting a hard key to the front door you would have to ask them. The actual room/apartment was a regular key.