Author Topic: TigerAir/JetStar/AirAsia/Scoot - Cheap Budget Asian Airlines Master Thread  (Read 3931 times)

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Do they generally run on time?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Cool!

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
Cool!

Cool and ultra budget airlines don't really equal up. Do you want to see an alliance with the ULCC in US?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Do you want to see an alliance with the ULCC in US?

There's probably more overlap/competition in the US, and maybe also a bigger disparity when it comes to LCCs (e.g. JetBlue and Spirit).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Cool and ultra budget airlines don't really equal up. Do you want to see an alliance with the ULCC in US?
I don't see how useful an alliance would be since each airline charges different amounts for different things. If you book through airline A but are traveling on airlines B then A, do you who's bag fees do you pay? What about carry on fees? Boarding pass printing fees? Seems more confusing than useful, especially without interline agreements for bags.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
I don't see how useful an alliance would be since each airline charges different amounts for different things. If you book through airline A but are traveling on airlines B then A, do you who's bag fees do you pay? What about carry on fees? Boarding pass printing fees? Seems more confusing than useful, especially without interline agreements for bags.

They're going to have an alliance but no interline? Hmmmph.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yuds70

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
PSA about Scoot Air.

SIN-SYD Boeing 787

I've flown a couple budget airlines in the past; Spirit, Ryanair, Easyjet, Wizz Air, Norwegian, Jetstar... however my Experience on Scoot was drastically different in the fact that all those airlines above, I've had no issue switching my seat either online after check in, or on the plane without charge.

The way Scoot Air works is, you can pre-purchase any seat ahead of time for about $35-$60 depends if you want an exit row etc. Also depends on the flight duration. If you haven't pre-purchased a seat, they stuff everyone from the back to the front of the plane randomly without the ability to change it online or at the gate. Only after you board and liftoff do they announce you can upgrade to an empty row if you have a Visa or MasterCard Credit card. No Debit cards or Amex.

That must have been the worst 8 hour flight for myself as I was stuck next to a larger person in the middle seat, and myself in the aisle which I hate. They weren't accepting my methods of payment that I had on board to upgrade.

Lesson learned, the flight price was more than half the next available ticket even with luggage allowance, I'll be booking a window seat and further up in the plane next time I fly Scoot, and I strongly suggest everyone do the same.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:19:52 PM by yuds70 »
Make stuff happen.

Offline theyankel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
PSA about Scoot Air.

SIN-SYD Boeing 787

I've flown a couple budget airlines in the past; Spirit, Ryanair, Easyjet, Wizz Air, Norwegian, Jetstar... however my Experience on Scoot was drastically different in the fact that all those airlines above, I've had no issue switching my seat either online after check in, or on the plane without charge.

The way Scoot Air works is, you can pre-purchase any seat ahead of time for about $35-$60 depends if you want an exit row etc. Also depends on the flight duration. If you haven't pre-purchased a seat, they stuff everyone from the back to the front of the plane randomly without the ability to change it online or at the gate. Only after you board and liftoff do they announce you can upgrade to an empty row if you have a Visa or MasterCard Credit card. No Debit cards or Amex.

That must have been the worst 8 hour flight for myself as I was stuck next to a larger person in the middle seat, and myself in the aisle which I hate. They weren't accepting my methods of payment that I had on board to upgrade.

Lesson learned, the flight price was more than half the next available ticket even with luggage allowance, I'll be booking a window seat and further up in the plane next time I fly Scoot, and I strongly suggest everyone do the same.
scoot also does not have their own employees. they are all airport employees. and very bad customer service. they charge for water on board too. i flew syd-sin a couple years ago and had to dispute cc charges for prepaid luggage because they wouldnt refund. to offset, i flew sin-jfk via fra on singapore airlines a380 business.