Author Topic: Thank You Points Network?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline oisher

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Thank You Points Network?
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
Does anyone have experience with redeeming points from the ThankYou points network?
It doesn't seem to be very generous, but then again since it can link to an existing checking/debit account nothing is lost by joining.
Which rewards are the best 'bang for your buck'?

Offline irleetnoob

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Thank You Points Network?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:52 AM »
Unfortunately, TYPs really aren't that great to redeem :(
The best is if you have a Premier card with them, when you get a 25% bonus of redemption (total 1.25cpp) off your flights booked on their site (Expedia-powered).
Otherwise, its 1cpp on certain gift cards redeemed at the highest value (usually 10K pts for $100) or 1cpp on student loan & mortgage checks (have to phone in).

Offline aitchly

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »
Which rewards are the best 'bang for your buck'?

+1 for redeeming flights.  This is a significant bonus.  If you are earning 2 TYPs per dollar and getting discounted airfare, the savings add up quickly.

Granted it is quite limited as a 'point' in the grand scheme of points earning, but getting FF miles for 'free' flights is a nice benefit.

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
when i fly on award tickets (which is allways) i charge the taxes to my TYP card and i get points for miles flown, which is nice..

How do i use spell check on this forum?

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
i found that theyre not that bad  in a crunch time. technically they are worth 1 cent a point but sometimes they r worth more

for ex, we had to make a last minute flight, on aa or delta i wasnt seeing anything in miles below 50,000 and the prices were $700 and up for a domestic ticket.

it ended up being about 50,000 ty points bec they calculate the points before taxes. if ur earning 2 points for every dollar spent (and for gas and some stuff 3 points) that ends up being pretty worth it

so in the end i had 90,000 points and ended up getting 2 flights, each worth about $700 but would have been at least 100,000 pts on aa or delta

however when theres better mileage availability then their points r not worth so much

Offline Yosel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
i found that theyre not that bad  in a crunch time. technically they are worth 1 cent a point but sometimes they r worth more

for ex, we had to make a last minute flight, on aa or delta i wasnt seeing anything in miles below 50,000 and the prices were $700 and up for a domestic ticket.

it ended up being about 50,000 ty points bec they calculate the points before taxes. if ur earning 2 points for every dollar spent (and for gas and some stuff 3 points) that ends up being pretty worth it

so in the end i had 90,000 points and ended up getting 2 flights, each worth about $700 but would have been at least 100,000 pts on aa or delta

however when theres better mileage availability then their points r not worth so much
plus you got milage because its considerd a purchased ticket