Poll

As a DDF member do you hold one day in Israel?

One day
13 (35.1%)
Two Day
22 (59.5%)
Its still chag but I reply anyway
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: One day or two  (Read 20353 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: One day or two
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »
As I mentioned above, we don't really care about credit.
I'm genuinely curious, why do you feel so strongly that you'd rather have two days of Y"T? I get that it's not about the schar, I'm not saying it should be, but you have to have a basis for it, halacha doesn't really care about your personal feelings about what "feels" holier than something else.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »
I did, though not sure what you were trying to get at with that. Unless you're saying that the beis hamikdash is actually in Brooklyn and therefore you can be mekadesh Al pi reiyah there. Or something like that

When you said you need to be connected to a Rebbe to really appreciate, did you mean you need to be connected to my Rebbe?
To answer your second question, the answer IMHO is definitely no. I would imagine that every chosid would want to be on as similar "position" as his Rebbe.

The links about beis hamikdash were just to illustrate that in Lubavitch it is taken to the extreme. So not being able to celebrate with (or like) the Rebbe, might be considered a "punishment".
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2018, 09:02:02 PM »
I'm genuinely curious, why do you feel so strongly that you'd rather have two days of Y"T? I get that it's not about the schar, I'm not saying it should be, but you have to have a basis for it, halacha doesn't really care about your personal feelings about what "feels" holier than something else.
This has nothing to do with Halacha. Obviously, without any Halachic basis it is less than meaningless.

Y"T shows a special חביבות of yidden. ישראל אינהו דקדשינהו לזמנים. We say Hallel (BTW, first day Y"T I was Davening not far from SMR, thinking about פירוש המילות during Hallel was very real considering him), and even in the most mundane sense, just being disconnected from business, work, etc. is something I think anyone can appreciate, even if they didn't learn Chassidus.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
Thanks.
Does he have anything on בני ארה''ק coming to חו''ל?
I haven't had a chance to look up that book in a while.

It's on Otzar Hachochma. I know someone sponsored it at the Empire Blvd Heichal Halimmud 😉.

But this subject was first published in a separate קונטרס so if you Google it, it will show up on the Otzar Hachochma online, where you can view most of the pages without an account.
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:56 AM »
To answer your second question, the answer IMHO is definitely no. I would imagine that every chosid would want to be on as similar "position" as his Rebbe.

The links about beis hamikdash were just to illustrate that in Lubavitch it is taken to the extreme. So not being able to celebrate with (or like) the Rebbe, might be considered a "punishment".
Care to answer my first question?

Not sure how you are certain that your Rebbe celebrates two days in the עולם האמת. But I guess I need a connection with a Rebbe to understand that (my guess is that how you resolve many of your discussions)

Also, you are aware that there are Rebbes in ארץ ישראל who only keep one day. Would someone with a connection with those Rebbes agree?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2018, 02:23:41 AM »
I can certainly appreciate why someone would find a 2 day YT enjoyable, as I do. (Though 3 days is too much for me).

But seeking out a minority Chabad opinion just to keep 2 days seems odd to me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2018, 03:37:32 AM »
I can certainly appreciate why someone would find a 2 day YT enjoyable, as I do. (Though 3 days is too much for me).

But seeking out a minority Chabad opinion just to keep 2 days seems odd to me.
Yes, seeking out a minority opinion to do anything seems odd. We should do what Hashem wants, not what makes us feel good

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
Yes, seeking out a minority opinion to do anything seems odd. We should do what Hashem wants, not what makes us feel good
There are Chassidish Rebbe's who turned back from being Oleh to EY, because of losing the second day of YT. We may not understand it, but they were on a high spiritual level and they felt it was needed for them. One of those Rebbes yahrzteit is actually today. R'Izeikel Ziditchoiver ZY"A.

Btw, iirc, the Chasam Sofer says that when Mashiach comes there will still be YT Sheini Shel Golious. I hope that pre-empts your question.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
Care to answer my first question?

I thought I did (at least implicitly) but if you feel I didn't, feel free to clarify and ask again.

Also, you are aware that there are Rebbes in ארץ ישראל who only keep one day. Would someone with a connection with those Rebbes agree?

I am definitely aware, and I would imagine that someone connected to a Rebbe that keeps one day, would want to do the same.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »

So if it were only 2 days in a row rather than 3, you'd prefer to have a psak of 2 days?

If 3 days is too much, what will happen when we merit the גאולה האמיתית והשלימה? Or are we not concerned with that because we will be redeemed from our גלות פנימי בעבודת השם?
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2018, 02:56:51 AM »
So if it were only 2 days in a row rather than 3, you'd prefer to have a psak of 2 days?

If 3 days is too much, what will happen when we merit the גאולה האמיתית והשלימה? Or are we not concerned with that because we will be redeemed from our גלות פנימי בעבודת השם?

Who cares what he'd prefer. Whatever the psak he got, that's what he has to do.

I thought I did (at least implicitly) but if you feel I didn't, feel free to clarify and ask again.

I am definitely aware, and I would imagine that someone connected to a Rebbe that keeps one day, would want to do the same.
So when you say you feel bad for anyone who has an "abbreviated" (I put that in quotes because of you look in the book that was given on Sinai, that's what yuntif is) yuntif, you meant you feel bad for anyone who doesn't have a kesher with a Rebbe in Chul? Or doesn't have a kesher with your Rebbe?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
And by the way, this chasam sofer that you quote that laasid lavo there will be two days yuntif, does anyone know what it actually says? From what I saw quoted, it just says that the aratzos harechokim who don't find out about the kviusa diyarcha on time, will still keep two days. Not sure how that has any relevance to this discussion
שות חתם סופר אורח חיים קמה at the end. His point is that you can have second day yuntif in eretz Yisroel if the shluchim don't reach there
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:38:32 AM by Ergel »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2018, 06:20:01 AM »

Prefer a psak? If I wanted to shop around I can also use an eruv, shave my beard, and eat cholov stam.

What does that have to with my personal preferences and what I enjoy?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
Who cares what he'd prefer. Whatever the psak he got, that's what he has to do.

Obviously.

But whoever told him who to ask (rather than give a psak himslef) might have cared about what he prefers.

So when you say you feel bad for anyone who has an "abbreviated" (I put that in quotes because of you look in the book that was given on Sinai, that's what yuntif is) yuntif, you meant you feel bad for anyone who doesn't have a kesher with a Rebbe in Chul? Or doesn't have a kesher with your Rebbe?

The same book that was given on Sinai is the one that tells us to make a ברכה בשם ומלכות on the second day Y"T.

There are obviously various levels. Similar to the explanation of why we say 3 brochos every morning (שלא עשני גוי, שלא עשני עבד, and שלא עשני אשה), so too there are various levels to what one would consider as being fortunate. One might be a shomer torah umitzvos but have no connection to a Rebbe. Another might have a connection to a Rebbe, but doesn't learn תורת החסידות, etc. etc. etc. There's no criticism of anyone, nor is one better than the other, one who has what he can see that others might not, could feel more fortunate.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
Prefer a psak? If I wanted to shop around I can also use an eruv, shave my beard, and eat cholov stam.

What does that have to with my personal preferences and what I enjoy?

Who said you shopped around?
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2018, 01:51:56 PM »
Obviously.

But whoever told him who to ask (rather than give a psak himslef) might have cared about what he prefers.
Or he told him to call a person whom he generally asks his eretz Yisroel shailos too. Why do you preference/agenda played a role here?
The same book that was given on Sinai is the one that tells us to make a ברכה בשם ומלכות on the second day Y"T.
Of course. But if we were to term something abbreviated or elongated, wouldn't the starting point be what it says bferush?
There are obviously various levels. Similar to the explanation of why we say 3 brochos every morning (שלא עשני גוי, שלא עשני עבד, and שלא עשני אשה), so too there are various levels to what one would consider as being fortunate. One might be a shomer torah umitzvos but have no connection to a Rebbe. Another might have a connection to a Rebbe, but doesn't learn תורת החסידות, etc. etc. etc. There's no criticism of anyone, nor is one better than the other, one who has what he can see that others might not, could feel more fortunate.
That sounds like thinking one is better than the other, but I guess right a connection to the Rebbe, I can't understand

Also conveniently didn't respond to the actual context of the chasam sofer. Quoting mareh mekomos is fun until someone looks them up

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »
Or he told him to call a person whom he generally asks his eretz Yisroel shailos too. Why do you preference/agenda played a role here?
Maybe yes, and maybe not. Let's hear some non-Lubavitchers chime in on this one, if you ask your Rov in the US whether you need to keep one day or two in EY, does he give you a psak, or does he send you to ask a Rov in EY?

Of course. But if we were to term something abbreviated or elongated, wouldn't the starting point be what it says bferush?
So that's your issue? The semantics? So let's just call it shorter rather than abbreviated.

Also conveniently didn't respond to the actual context of the chasam sofer. Quoting mareh mekomos is fun until someone looks them up
I don't recall ever having quoted the Chasam Sofer.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »
Maybe yes, and maybe not. Let's hear some non-Lubavitchers chime in on this one, if you ask your Rov in the US whether you need to keep one day or two in EY, does he give you a psak, or does he send you to ask a Rov in EY?
So that's your issue? The semantics? So let's just call it shorter rather than abbreviated.
I don't recall ever having quoted the Chasam Sofer.
I think that for non-lubavitch the psak is going to be pretty clear that they should keep two days. Every cheder ingle knows that.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2018, 05:27:50 PM »
I think that for non-lubavitch the psak is going to be pretty clear that they should keep two days. Every cheder ingle knows that.
+1
Hence my shock here

Can we get the explanation for the Psak?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
So no more asking shaalos from Israeli police officers? It's cheder yinglach now?  :)
I guess Cheder Yinglach are unaware of the shitta of the חכם צבי.

Is there a נפק״מ whether a person is traveling alone or with family?

My guess is that due to the fact that there have been seemingly contradicting indications from the Rebbe on this topic, some Rabbonim try to avoid ruling, and just find it easier to send to someone else. While others, who are very well versed in the fifth part of Shulchan Oruch, deliberately point the question asking to a Rov they know would paskens in a way that the person will be happy with.
-- Dan