Author Topic: Uh oh - El Al #LY8 from JFK to Tel Aviv is diverting to Gander   (Read 41780 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Oh uh - El Al #LY8 from JFK to Tel Aviv is diverting to Gander 
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
Maybe harder and more expensive to get a landing slot?
LON was just an example. Plenty of options in western EU.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:59:34 PM by yesitsme »
["-"]

Offline mord1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
Anyone want to proofread/share their thoughts?
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/el-al-diverts-flight-8-jfk-tel-aviv-twice-shamefully-flies-passengers-far-close-shabbos/
I guess I am a little late:  "where there would hae been plenty of time before Shabbos"

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
Anyone want to proofread/share their thoughts?
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/el-al-diverts-flight-8-jfk-tel-aviv-twice-shamefully-flies-passengers-far-close-shabbos/

I asked this question on the main site but I am curious as to why it's ELAL's job to land anywhere specific before Shabbos. Aren't they "nice enough" for landing anywhere at all?  I'm just thinking "out loud" here-   not sure how I feel one way or the other.

My personal feelings aside... this article is sure to get 'outsiders' opinions that they didn't have to land at all. No?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Mr. CC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2018, 05:39:44 PM »

I asked this question on the main site but I am curious as to why it's ELAL's job to land anywhere specific before Shabbos. Aren't they "nice enough" for landing anywhere at all?  I'm just thinking "out loud" here-   not sure how I feel one way or the other.

My personal feelings aside... this article is sure to get 'outsiders' opinions that they didn't have to land at all. No?
there's a binding agreement that they aren't allowed to fly on Shabbos, maybe someone can find some links

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »
there's a binding agreement that they aren't allowed to fly on Shabbos, maybe someone can find some links
+1 They can probably get sued if they fly Pax on Shabbos.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »

So technically by their agreement they shouldn't have kept flying?

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2018, 06:03:44 PM »
They'll have a wonderfull shabbos meals served by Bornstein catering.

Lol :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Mr. CC

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:25:30 PM by Mr. CC »

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
Thoughts on this one?
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/heres-el-al-gets-around-shabbos-flight-restrictions/
Nice and to the point. Though I still wouldn't be surprised to hear others (especially non religious Jews and non Jews) argue that its not their  problem where they land and how close to "Sabbath" they do it.

Offline travel agent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
Anyone know how many frum pax were onboard?

a real frum person is not taking that flight, maybe light frum.

Offline dovil

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 07:24:50 PM »
a real frum person is not taking that flight, maybe light frum.
why do you say that?

Offline dovil

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
arent you allowed to fly on shabbos?

Offline ycohen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2018, 09:56:14 PM »
My sister who was stranded in Athens shared some details on the extremely disappointing experience which is described below.

El Al straight up lied to passengers when they were in Canada saying they had not enough time to get to TLV before shabbos but they will be landing in London with ample time before shabbos and provide accommodations to all that needed. Non-observant jews or non-Jewish passengers will have option to be booked with a another carrier to get them to Israel Friday evening.

Most passengers were informed officially only once they were on the way that they are not going to London but rather ATH and they will have no issues getting to their accommodations before shabbos. Upon arrival, the 747 would continue on to TLV on shabbos and will take only crew since no “passengers” are allowed to fly on shabbos. They provided two flights Friday evening on another carrier for non-observant passengers to continue on to TLV on shabbos.

Now what actually happened was this...the only hotel near the airport in Athens had only a few rooms to spare and as many religious Jews crammed into them as possible (4-5 rooms available). Others who preferred to have hotel vs staying in airport for shabbos were left with taking a bus on shabbos to a further hotel since they basically landed minutes before it started. Many passengers opted to just take flight back on shabbos because once they arrived they realized they were in for a miserable experience. Others stayed in terminal. It was going around that the reason for switching to ATH vs London was that they figured a shabbos in London would mean all 400+ passengers would want to stay in a hotel and cost a lot more money. Going to ATH with the knowledge that it lacked accommodations and is not as interesting of a place to explore like London many of the passengers would opt just to continue to TLV on shabbos later in the evening, which is what happened. In addition, the cost of flying the passengers from ATH to TLV also saves a lot of money.

My thoughts on the matter since everyone else seems to have a take on this - I am saddened that fellow jews on here have harsh critiques of the religious passengers who took this flight. Although I understand some have a sudden necessity to share opinions on the matter you can’t know for certain every individual circumstances that brought them to taking this flight (medical, family emergency...)so not right to judge them or anyone for that matter. El-Al as a carrier knows the shabbos restriction it must oblige by and maybe it was naive to think that they would create a flight schedule with enough time that would accommodate circumstances like this one. Furthermore, once they knew they had an issue they did not act in good faith and mislead many of the passengers in regards to how they planned on handling the situation. I am sure every religious person stranded has learnt their lesson after this experience.

I don’t blame El-Al for making a business decision and limiting its financial loss given it’s just that - a business after all. That being said, they shouldn’t be blindly trusted in the future (nor should anyone be) to be your trusted “religious” sensitive airline of choice. Perception by many is that El-Al is trusted to put religious sensitivity as a priority similar to its unique security measures that sets it apart. Clearly this is a misguided mistake. Many passengers on board felt helpless in the matter and if the airline wanted they could have provided better alternative options to its passengers or at the very least communicated better with passengers on the flight.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2018, 10:29:31 PM »
My sister who was stranded in Athens shared some details on the extremely disappointing experience which is described below.

El Al straight up lied to passengers when they were in Canada saying they had not enough time to get to TLV before shabbos but they will be landing in London with ample time before shabbos and provide accommodations to all that needed. Non-observant jews or non-Jewish passengers will have option to be booked with a another carrier to get them to Israel Friday evening.

Most passengers were informed officially only once they were on the way that they are not going to London but rather ATH and they will have no issues getting to their accommodations before shabbos. Upon arrival, the 747 would continue on to TLV on shabbos and will take only crew since no “passengers” are allowed to fly on shabbos. They provided two flights Friday evening on another carrier for non-observant passengers to continue on to TLV on shabbos.

Now what actually happened was this...the only hotel near the airport in Athens had only a few rooms to spare and as many religious Jews crammed into them as possible (4-5 rooms available). Others who preferred to have hotel vs staying in airport for shabbos were left with taking a bus on shabbos to a further hotel since they basically landed minutes before it started. Many passengers opted to just take flight back on shabbos because once they arrived they realized they were in for a miserable experience. Others stayed in terminal. It was going around that the reason for switching to ATH vs London was that they figured a shabbos in London would mean all 400+ passengers would want to stay in a hotel and cost a lot more money. Going to ATH with the knowledge that it lacked accommodations and is not as interesting of a place to explore like London many of the passengers would opt just to continue to TLV on shabbos later in the evening, which is what happened. In addition, the cost of flying the passengers from ATH to TLV also saves a lot of money.

My thoughts on the matter since everyone else seems to have a take on this - I am saddened that fellow jews on here have harsh critiques of the religious passengers who took this flight. Although I understand some have a sudden necessity to share opinions on the matter you can’t know for certain every individual circumstances that brought them to taking this flight (medical, family emergency...)so not right to judge them or anyone for that matter. El-Al as a carrier knows the shabbos restriction it must oblige by and maybe it was naive to think that they would create a flight schedule with enough time that would accommodate circumstances like this one. Furthermore, once they knew they had an issue they did not act in good faith and mislead many of the passengers in regards to how they planned on handling the situation. I am sure every religious person stranded has learnt their lesson after this experience.

I don’t blame El-Al for making a business decision and limiting its financial loss given it’s just that - a business after all. That being said, they shouldn’t be blindly trusted in the future (nor should anyone be) to be your trusted “religious” sensitive airline of choice. Perception by many is that El-Al is trusted to put religious sensitivity as a priority similar to its unique security measures that sets it apart. Clearly this is a misguided mistake. Many passengers on board felt helpless in the matter and if the airline wanted they could have provided better alternative options to its passengers or at the very least communicated better with passengers on the flight.
Does you sister want to write up a TR for DDMS?

Offline elya

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
My thoughts on the matter since everyone else seems to have a take on this - I am saddened that fellow jews on here have harsh critiques of the religious passengers who took this flight. Although I understand some have a sudden necessity to share opinions on the matter you can’t know for certain every individual circumstances that brought them to taking this flight (medical, family emergency...)so not right to judge them or anyone for that matter.
Well said. Couldnt agree more.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2018, 10:54:22 PM »

Post on DDMS or DD FB page if you have a chance.