Author Topic: Uh oh - El Al #LY8 from JFK to Tel Aviv is diverting to Gander   (Read 41792 times)

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
Re: Uh oh - El Al #LY8 from JFK to Tel Aviv is diverting to Gander 
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2018, 03:18:27 AM »
So... this is El Al’s second (recent) diversion to a lesser-known Canadian airport. I guess it’s true what they say, after all: What’s good for the Goose [Bay] is good for...  :D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:14:44 AM by yandmk »

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2018, 06:38:23 AM »
What happened to them?

American Airlines (@AmericanAir) Tweeted:
PSA Airlines, an American Airlines regional carrier, experienced a technical issue that caused them to cancel their flights for the remainder of the evening. Our team is working hard to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and accommodate customers. https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/status/1007430856527532033?s=17
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Offline ycohen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2018, 10:00:27 AM »
My sister who was stranded in Athens shared some details on the extremely disappointing experience which is described below.

El Al straight up lied to passengers when they were in Canada saying they had not enough time to get to TLV before shabbos but they will be landing in London with ample time before shabbos and provide accommodations to all that needed. Non-observant jews or non-Jewish passengers will have option to be booked with a another carrier to get them to Israel Friday evening.

Most passengers were informed officially only once they were on the way that they are not going to London but rather ATH and they will have no issues getting to their accommodations before shabbos. Upon arrival, the 747 would continue on to TLV on shabbos and will take only crew since no “passengers” are allowed to fly on shabbos. They provided two flights Friday evening on another carrier for non-observant passengers to continue on to TLV on shabbos.

Now what actually happened was this...the only hotel near the airport in Athens had only a few rooms to spare and as many religious Jews crammed into them as possible (4-5 rooms available). Others who preferred to have hotel vs staying in airport for shabbos were left with taking a bus on shabbos to a further hotel since they basically landed minutes before it started. Many passengers opted to just take flight back on shabbos because once they arrived they realized they were in for a miserable experience. Others stayed in terminal. It was going around that the reason for switching to ATH vs London was that they figured a shabbos in London would mean all 400+ passengers would want to stay in a hotel and cost a lot more money. Going to ATH with the knowledge that it lacked accommodations and is not as interesting of a place to explore like London many of the passengers would opt just to continue to TLV on shabbos later in the evening, which is what happened. In addition, the cost of flying the passengers from ATH to TLV also saves a lot of money.

My thoughts on the matter since everyone else seems to have a take on this - I am saddened that fellow jews on here have harsh critiques of the religious passengers who took this flight. Although I understand some have a sudden necessity to share opinions on the matter you can’t know for certain every individual circumstances that brought them to taking this flight (medical, family emergency...)so not right to judge them or anyone for that matter. El-Al as a carrier knows the shabbos restriction it must oblige by and maybe it was naive to think that they would create a flight schedule with enough time that would accommodate circumstances like this one. Furthermore, once they knew they had an issue they did not act in good faith and mislead many of the passengers in regards to how they planned on handling the situation. I am sure every religious person stranded has learnt their lesson after this experience.

I don’t blame El-Al for making a business decision and limiting its financial loss given it’s just that - a business after all. That being said, they shouldn’t be blindly trusted in the future (nor should anyone be) to be your trusted “religious” sensitive airline of choice. Perception by many is that El-Al is trusted to put religious sensitivity as a priority similar to its unique security measures that sets it apart. Clearly this is a misguided mistake. Many passengers on board felt helpless in the matter and if the airline wanted they could have provided better alternative options to its passengers or at the very least communicated better with passengers on the flight.
Update: Apparently the hotel booked across from the airport in Athens were private bookings not through the airline. The quick thinking passengers who booked those few rooms available were gracious enough to take in as many as possible. ElAl offered shared hotel rooms for shabbos but had to go on a bus on shabbos to get there. So the airline left some passengers with a choice, break shabbos by taking bus to hotel or break shabbos by flying back on later flight...what a great position to be in. A few people realized the dilemma and opted to stay in the airport so as to not break shabbos. No lounge was offered or available to stay in while there unless you had alternative means to access them on your own.

Offline jr611

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Oh uh - El Al #LY8 from JFK to Tel Aviv is diverting to Gander 
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
In other news. UA90 is delayed tonight for 7.5 hours. Who would thought that this can happen at a home base?
was delayed 21 hours last week

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
Any other confirmations of El Al saying they would go to London?
People need to record this stuff...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2018, 10:20:39 AM »
So... this is El Al’s second (recent) diversion to a lesser-known Canadian airport. I guess it’s true what they say, after all: What’s good for the Goose [Bay] is good for...  :D
Can I get a plagiarism alert?
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
Update: Apparently the hotel booked across from the airport in Athens were private bookings not through the airline. The quick thinking passengers who booked those few rooms available were gracious enough to take in as many as possible. ElAl offered shared hotel rooms for shabbos but had to go on a bus on shabbos to get there. So the airline left some passengers with a choice, break shabbos by taking bus to hotel or break shabbos by flying back on later flight...what a great position to be in. A few people realized the dilemma and opted to stay in the airport so as to not break shabbos. No lounge was offered or available to stay in while there unless you had alternative means to access them on your own.
When were they able to book them?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ycohen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »
When were they able to book them?
A first hand account posted on the DDMS seems to indicate they rushed over to the hotel and they booked them on the spot. My sister was among those who returned to the airport for the night.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
A first hand account posted on the DDMS seems to indicate they rushed over to the hotel and they booked them on the spot. My sister was among those who returned to the airport for the night.
I still say people would be interested in reading a full play by play.
Where did she sleep for the night?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »

+1

Offline travel agent

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
did all the people ended having kosher food?

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
Shameful is all I could say.

Offline ycohen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
She was lucky to be with another person who had a Priority Pass membership (thanks Dan) and slept in one of the available lounges.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »
She was lucky to be with another person who had a Priority Pass membership (thanks Dan) and slept in one of the available lounges.
There's a 24/7 lounge in ATH?

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
Shameful is all I could say.
Shameful on whom?
On the passenger for not feeling well?
On Elal who isn't responsible for your shabbos observance and who acted like a business?
On the passengers who decided to risk it against what everyone with common sense says not to do and ended up on the wrong side of the gamble?
On Chabad for not turning a lounge into a makeshift hotel for said people who took a risk?
On people who come to a forum basically dedicated to chatting and opining and then do exactly that?
It's not clear to me which one is supposed to be the shameful one.

Offline ycohen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
There's a 24/7 lounge in ATH?
Not a 100% sure. I think she was at the hotel lobby until late at night but felt bad sleeping there so killed some time until one opened up around 3am.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »
There is a pretty complete report on DDMS.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/el-al-diverts-flight-8-jfk-tel-aviv-twice-shamefully-flies-passengers-far-close-shabbos/#comment-1359395

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
Shameful on whom?
On Elal who isn't responsible for your shabbos observance and who acted like a business?
IINM all jews are responsible for shabbos CMIIW
Shameful on whom?
On the passengers who decided to risk it against what everyone with common sense says not to do and ended up on the wrong side of the gamble?
why not?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile