Author Topic: Uh oh - El Al #LY8 from JFK to Tel Aviv is diverting to Gander   (Read 42305 times)

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Re: Uh oh - El Al #LY8 from JFK to Tel Aviv is diverting to Gander 
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
There is a pretty complete report on DDMS.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/el-al-diverts-flight-8-jfk-tel-aviv-twice-shamefully-flies-passengers-far-close-shabbos/#comment-1359395
This guy seems to have a very positive outlook on the story which is what got him through Shabbos and understood that flying so close to Shabbos can result in spending Shabbos elsewhere.

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2018, 01:44:52 PM »
I think it's pretty shameful for ElAl to a) Not let pax off at Gander  b) Lie about the destination.  If in fact either of those things occurred.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »
He doesn't understand that all of that could've been avoided had they landed in London.
Or, since presumably LON is an extremely expensive place to land, they could have looked at MAN, ORY, VIE or TXL which I would assume are cheaper (all with later Shabbos times).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
I think it's pretty shameful for ElAl to a) Not let pax off at Gander  b) Lie about the destination.  If in fact either of those things occurred.

According to the DDMS source, they only mentioned Europe, and people assumed the destination on there own

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
There is a pretty complete report on DDMS.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/el-al-diverts-flight-8-jfk-tel-aviv-twice-shamefully-flies-passengers-far-close-shabbos/#comment-1359395

Wishful thinking at its best. Does anyone really expect this from ELAL:

I suspect this was a simple mistake that requires a mea culpa and an adjustment of policy.

That being said, after reading the entire post, I must say that it seems like the individual flight attendants did their best, based on their understanding of the situation, and should be commended for acting in a compassionate and human way.

OTOH, ELAL management is totally tone deaf when it comes to Shabbos! How wonderful is it to hear that some additional Chilul Shabbos was done especially for you... ::)
El Al sent someone over to our hotel on Shabbat afternoon to tell us that they would send a 787 after Shabbat

I understand the good intentions, but it seems like they are on a different planet.
-- Dan

Offline travelplus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2018, 02:15:34 PM »
El Al could have turned the delayed plane into a Sun D'or flight and those non religious passengers would continue on from ATH being reaccomodated on another EL AL flight or another airline after Shabbat.

Remember Iarael is mostly secular and in fact I have no issues flying on Shabbat. What I will do is make the Shabbat special by drinkking wine and say the blessings to not forget the traditions.

This summer I am flying on Saturday to TLV and have a day at LAX flying from SJC to LAX SFO and TLV. On the return I need to be at TLV on Friday night again I will say the blessings and have an early Shabbos dinner in TLV and on the plane!

I know that our observance levels are different and I respect all levels of observances.

EL AL lied to the pasengers and this is against the 613 commandments transparency is key. I dont care if your Orthodox or Secular lieing is not Kosher. So El Al should just fly on the Shabbos like all the other airlines and the Frum will not fly close to Shabbos.

I am sorry but the Frum passengers have a responsibility to.avoid booking a flight with a potential of a delay so close to Shabbat. My theory even if I were Orthodox would be to continue the flight and take a taci home as safety and Pikuah Nefesh is more important than being in an uncomfortable situation.

I come from a Sephardic background and we do not ask our Rabbi for consulting on issues we make our own decision.

The Frum passengers could have said it was a Mitzvah to take a sick passenger off the flight and the delay saved his life and the rest does not matter.If we arrived TLV after Shabbos go home the same for weather delays. I wish more Rabbis would be lienient and allow passengers to clear custims at TLV and take a cab home and even get hot food for the Shabbos. I mean emergencies happen but comfort and safety takes priority over religion.

What says you?

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
 ::)
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
I mean emergencies happen but comfort and safety takes priority over religion.

What says you?

I think you might be right here. Not sure about comfort, but safety definitely takes precedence over religion.

That being said, it is by divine providence that this discussion is taking place on the first day of פרשת חוקת. One of the meanings of חוקה is that it comes from the same route of חקק - to engrave. The difference between written words and engraved words are, that when something is written, it is ink (or toner) applied onto paper (or parchment, or any other surface), whereas when words are engraved, they become part of the actual substance into which they are engraved.

The Torah and the Shabbos are "engraved" into every Jew. If Judaism was a mere "religion", many things might take precedence. But Judaism is the actual essence of the being of every Jew.
-- Dan

Offline Myccrabbi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »
Shameful on whom?
On the passenger for not feeling well?
On Elal who isn't responsible for your shabbos observance and who acted like a business?
On the passengers who decided to risk it against what everyone with common sense says not to do and ended up on the wrong side of the gamble?
On Chabad for not turning a lounge into a makeshift hotel for said people who took a risk?
On people who come to a forum basically dedicated to chatting and opining and then do exactly that?
It's not clear to me which one is supposed to be the shameful one.
Took the words outa my mouth word for word!
That being said I still sympathize with frum pax on that flight as I once did this gamble on usairways flight and ended up fine after a 2 hr delay in phl for technical issue but I was really fearful
Entire time.
Also friend that picked me up had the car battery die in tlv, still ended up in jems on time, but I will NOT be doing such a flight again!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2018, 02:34:10 PM »
I come from a Sephardic background and we do not ask our Rabbi for consulting on issues we make our own decision.

What says you?
I says speak for yourself

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
Can I get a plagiarism alert?

Nope. Was my idea; you just improved on it. 😇

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2018, 04:12:50 PM »
I mean emergencies happen but comfort and safety takes priority over religion.

What says you?

This world is merely a corridor to the real world and thus any comfort and safety achieved are insubstantial
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Mr. CC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
This world is merely a corridor to the real world and thus any comfort and safety achieved are insubstantial
well said

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2018, 10:09:18 PM »
El Al could have turned the delayed plane into a Sun D'or flight and those non religious passengers would continue on from ATH being reaccomodated on another EL AL flight or another airline after Shabbat.

Remember Iarael is mostly secular and in fact I have no issues flying on Shabbat. What I will do is make the Shabbat special by drinkking wine and say the blessings to not forget the traditions.

This summer I am flying on Saturday to TLV and have a day at LAX flying from SJC to LAX SFO and TLV. On the return I need to be at TLV on Friday night again I will say the blessings and have an early Shabbos dinner in TLV and on the plane!

I know that our observance levels are different and I respect all levels of observances.

EL AL lied to the pasengers and this is against the 613 commandments transparency is key. I dont care if your Orthodox or Secular lieing is not Kosher. So El Al should just fly on the Shabbos like all the other airlines and the Frum will not fly close to Shabbos.

I am sorry but the Frum passengers have a responsibility to.avoid booking a flight with a potential of a delay so close to Shabbat. My theory even if I were Orthodox would be to continue the flight and take a taci home as safety and Pikuah Nefesh is more important than being in an uncomfortable situation.

The Frum passengers could have said it was a Mitzvah to take a sick passenger off the flight and the delay saved his life and the rest does not matter.If we arrived TLV after Shabbos go home the same for weather delays. I wish more Rabbis would be lienient and allow passengers to clear custims at TLV and take a cab home and even get hot food for the Shabbos. I mean emergencies happen but comfort and safety takes priority over religion.

What says you?
Chillul shabbos is definitely worse than lying

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
Anyone have any pictures from the experience?
How many people were on the 787 that El Al sent?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »
Does anyone who was on this flight want to talk with me, on or off the record?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
Does anyone who was on this flight want to talk with me, on or off the record?
i wasn’t on the flight but I’d like to talk to you!!
Let me know please when you have time!! ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
LOL

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
+1.