Author Topic: Why does DansDeals hate Elal?  (Read 27125 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: why does DD's hate Elal
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
It's the bottom line that counts:

Now I personally try to avoid ElAl for a past previous bad experience, (1 Flight attendant negative towards the frum + bad service)

I have avoided them for the past 18+ years for the same reasons (and limited point/mileage redemptions).

ELAL should be WELCOMING the criticism and learning from it, but unfortunately, they seem to have a DNA problem.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 02:35:20 PM »
It's the bottom line that counts:

I have avoided them for the past 18+ years for the same reasons (and limited point/mileage redemptions).

ELAL should be WELCOMING the criticism and learning from it, but unfortunately, they seem to have a DNA problem.

Do you know of an Israeli company that's different?

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 02:36:44 PM »
OP has a very good point. The ad nauseum hate here towards ElAl is both irrational and unjustified, much like the hate was towards the ex United CEO which was just plain stupid.
I don't see where @Dan has "hated" on ElAl, definitely not ad naseum, he's reporting a story where ElAl messed up and lost the trust of their clients
No exactly my point they have the clientele and they keep coming so why do more than they have to.
It's not a matter of not doing more than what they have to for their clientele (BTW that's something every business should be doing, doing just enough to satisfy your clients is an easy way for a competitor to steal them), they gained the trust of their clientele and just lost it, any loss of revenue or jobs is solely on them. @Dan is just making sure that people don't just blindly jump to fly ElAl "because they're a Jewish company" or "because they don't fly on Shabbos", since they aren't and they do...
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 03:01:37 PM »
I don't see where @Dan has "hated" on ElAl, definitely not ad naseum, he's reporting a story where ElAl messed up and lost the trust of their clients

It's not a matter of not doing more than what they have to for their clientele (BTW that's something every business should be doing, doing just enough to satisfy your clients is an easy way for a competitor to steal them), they gained the trust of their clientele and just lost it, any loss of revenue or jobs is solely on them. @Dan is just making sure that people don't just blindly jump to fly ElAl "because they're a Jewish company" or "because they don't fly on Shabbos", since they aren't and they do...

Well said.

It almost seems like the ELAL board and entire management should be taking accounting 101, realizing what are their assets and what are their liabilities (some in actual accounting terms, and some in a broader meaning). For every commercial company, their (satisfied) clients are an asset, their employees could be an asset, a liability or both. Thinking about it as I write, clients, employees, and even some hard assets as well as a loyalty program, could be either assets or liabilities, a lot depends on how they are treated.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
Well said.

It almost seems like the ELAL board and entire management should be taking accounting 101, realizing what are their assets and what are their liabilities (some in actual accounting terms, and some in a broader meaning). For every commercial company, their (satisfied) clients are an asset, their employees could be an asset, a liability or both. Thinking about it as I write, clients, employees, and even some hard assets as well as a loyalty program, could be either assets or liabilities, a lot depends on how they are treated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_(accounting)
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »
I don't see where @Dan has "hated" on ElAl, definitely not ad naseum, he's reporting a story where ElAl messed up and lost the trust of their clientsIt's not a matter of not doing more than what they have to for their clientele (BTW that's something every business should be doing, doing just enough to satisfy your clients is an easy way for a competitor to steal them), they gained the trust of their clientele and just lost it, any loss of revenue or jobs is solely on them. @Dan is just making sure that people don't just blindly jump to fly ElAl "because they're a Jewish company" or "because they don't fly on Shabbos", since they aren't and they do...
Every biz and culture is run differently here in Israel with no competition and having the niche that they do unless there's a cheirum against them then they will operate however they want and that's an Israeli mentality if I'm making money why change or give more then I need to.
Dan isn't hating on them just reporting it and giving his views and opionions.
 At end of day w/o the elal price mistake dd would never be what it is today (most posts were random Amazon deals and ways to use ba miles nothing so eye popping and rare flight deals) that deal put him on the map and got him the same Jewish niche elal has. From there the posts increased and interest  in the site really took off bc e/o was looking for that next great deal

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
Every biz and culture is run differently here in Israel with no competition and having the niche that they do unless there's a cheirum against them then they will operate however they want and that's an Israeli mentality if I'm making money why change or give more then I need to.
 At end of day w/o the elal price mistake dd would never be what it is today (most posts were random Amazon deals and ways to use ba miles nothing so eye popping and rare flight deals) that deal put him on the map and got him the same Jewish niche elal has. From there the posts increased and interest  in the site really took off bc e/o was looking for that next great deal
So what you're saying is, let ElAl run their business the way they want to, let @Dan run his business the way he wants to, and let everyone decide whom they're giving their business to. I don't think anybody disagrees on any of that, I'm also pretty sure this isn't what this thread is about
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:47:11 PM by JoeyShmoe »
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 04:19:47 PM »
Seriously?? Elal put Dan on the map

Offline Amusch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
I just think it's a wild coincidence that the companies that are most "in need" of our business advice are the ones that make decisions that negatively affect ppl who have lots of points and don't spend lots of money ( e.g. lmost recently, Hyatt, AA, and el al).

Online gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 04:24:21 PM »
Seriously?? Elal put Dan on the map
Yup check the stats before that deal, the site and ddf wasn't nearly as big as it was after. People who were into points and stuff knew of dd but now e/o is clicking looking for that next big deal even people who don't care for.miles and points.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
I just think it's a wild coincidence that the companies that are most "in need" of our business advice are the ones that make decisions that negatively affect ppl who have lots of points and don't spend lots of money ( e.g. lmost recently, Hyatt, AA, and el al).
This whole thread is dumb. I am an equal opportunity lambaster. No airline or hotel chain has escaped me calling them out when they deserve it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »
Yup check the stats before that deal, the site and ddf wasn't nearly as big as it was after. People who were into points and stuff knew of dd but now e/o is clicking looking for that next big deal even people who don't care for.miles and points.
The 12/26/13 DL $50 glitch was far more consequential for traffic than the 8/6/12 LY glitch.
I guess that means I shouldn't take DL to task for Skypesos and deleting award charts?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:55:33 PM by jj1000 »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2018, 04:30:54 PM »
All ElAl has to do is run a sale and all the hypocrites will flock to them. Standards go out the window when money is involved.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »
All ElAl has to do is run a sale and all the hypocrites will flock to them. Standards go out the window when money is involved.  :)
Of course that's true. Hopefully they won't choose on Thursday flight after my posts on the potential consequences.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »
Of course that's true. Hopefully they won't choose on Thursday flight after my posts on the potential consequences.
LOL
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »

I don't see where @Dan has "hated" on ElAl, definitely not ad naseum, he's reporting a story where ElAl messed up and lost the trust of their clientsIt's not a matter of not doing more than what they have to for their clientele (BTW that's something every business should be doing, doing just enough to satisfy your clients is an easy way for a competitor to steal them), they gained the trust of their clientele and just lost it, any loss of revenue or jobs is solely on them. @Dan is just making sure that people don't just blindly jump to fly ElAl "because they're a Jewish company" or "because they don't fly on Shabbos", since they aren't and they do...

+

OP has a very good point. The ad nauseum hate here towards ElAl is both irrational and unjustified, much like the hate was towards the ex United CEO which was just plain stupid.

When a company screws up again and again it's going to get more "hate". Any story that happens with UA at this point gets an "unjustified" response.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
Last 3 times I flew to Israel I used ElAl, since they were by far cheaper than anyone else ($200+, one of them was with the Great Glitch of 2012 :) ). Doesn't mean that they're a great airline, just means that I value my money more than their shortcomings. I still wouldn't trust them with anything religious more than any other airline "because their Jewish", I also won't use them "because their Jewish".
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »
How much should I be willing to accept in order to subject myself to the torment?

Though I will admit that if they sold nonstop RT in J (even if it wasn't lie flat) for under $1,600 I would probably bite.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
I don't think anybody disagrees on any of that, I'm also pretty sure this isn't what this thread is about
Really?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Why is it hypocritical to be willing to accept shortfalls at a lower price? Isn't that the whole model of the LCCs?