Author Topic: 10k MR for adding additional AMEX card  (Read 93473 times)

Offline shmiel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 10k MR for adding additional AMEX card
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Occasionally there are 2:1 AMEX:SPG transfer specials.
On a side note, this reminds me that this is the ONLY better redemption value for Canadian MR vs USA MR. (Canada MR to SPG is always 2:1)

Offline Jimbob

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
BEWARE OF FINANCIAL REVIEW.

One of my financial reviews required that send in a copy of
all my au's social security cards. One of those people had bad
credit and I ended up having to close all my cards.....

Offline supercooler8

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »
Thanks! For the record, I have an amex blue sky and was approved for this. I don't know if I can still convert these to miles but gotta say some 50k MR is a good start.

On a side, Amex also has the international FX wire offer where they give 30k MR for signing up and doing a first transaction. If you wire money to friends and family, they have not so competitive exchange rates but a 1000$ transaction a 2% difference is no big deal, given their excellent service.
http://www262.americanexpress.com/business-credit-cards/business-solutions/fx-international-payments

This is a nice way to stack up enough points to convert into a free trip to Isarel or India without a credit inquiry (assuming you have an amex card, of course).

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
how about business cards?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »
Zale: These were for 3 Platinum AU'S

So you paid $175 per plat AU?

EDIT: Never mind, just remembered its $175 for up to three.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:23:20 AM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
Is this promo only for AU MR members?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
So if I currently don't have any AU's on my Platinum card, does anyone think I'll be able to add 3, get the 30k then cancel the AU's and get back the $175?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 11:36:57 AM »
So if I currently don't have any AU's on my Platinum card, does anyone think I'll be able to add 3, get the 30k then cancel the AU's and get back the $175?

You'd increase your chances of getting the $175 back if you cancelled your entire account, if that's an option.

Also, you could just call AMEX and see if their policy for refunding AU charges is the same as for annual fees...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »
You'd increase your chances of getting the $175 back if you cancelled your entire account, if that's an option.

Also, you could just call AMEX and see if their policy for refunding AU charges is the same as for annual fees...

Hmm I think I might end up having to keep the card as they are currently reporting it as my old oldest card... I am looking at downgrading to the Green card, does anyone know off hand what the charge is for adding AU's to the Green card? Even at $175 though thats ~$0.006 per MR point so it would make sense in any case, correct?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
Hmm I think I might end up having to keep the card as they are currently reporting it as my old oldest card...

AFAIK, it does not matter which AMEX card was opened first. As long as you maintain ANY amex, your credit report will reflect the card open as being opened on the date of your original card.

Even at $175 though thats ~$0.006 per MR point so it would make sense in any case, correct?

Would seem that way...

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
AFAIK, it does not matter which AMEX card was opened first. As long as you maintain ANY amex, your credit report will reflect the card open as being opened on the date of your original card.

Yup but being as the Platinum is my sole AMEX card I have to downgrade it. I will probably downgrade it to the Green card as then I can transfer points still.

So the Green card lets you add 5 AU's for a $30 fee. Would I be better off downgrading my Platinum to Green and then adding AU's so I don't have to have them refund the $175 or $145 ($175 - $30)?

Looking through the thread it seems that this is for all MR cards so that should include the Green correct?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
Yup but being as the Platinum is my sole AMEX card I have to downgrade it. I will probably downgrade it to the Green card as then I can transfer points still.

So the Green card lets you add 5 AU's for a $30 fee. Would I be better off downgrading my Platinum to Green and then adding AU's so I don't have to have them refund the $175 or $145 ($175 - $30)?

Looking through the thread it seems that this is for all MR cards so that should include the Green correct?

Theoretically, yes. But getting them to add the promotion to the Green Card may be a trick, though...

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 12:14:41 PM »
Theoretically, yes. But getting them to add the promotion to the Green Card may be a trick, though...

Ah ok, in that case I will just add them as AU's on the Platinum and deal with it later.

I just call the rewards department and tell them I would like to add 3 AU's through the 10k promotion?

BTW Thanks for all the help.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
Ah ok, in that case I will just add them as AU's on the Platinum and deal with it later.

I just call the rewards department and tell them I would like to add 3 AU's through the 10k promotion?

BTW Thanks for all the help.

I haven't tried to do it on mine yet, but, I would probably have them (MR) add the promotion to the account, and then (if MR can even do it at all) have them add the AU's. Most likely, though, you'll have to have some other dept in AMEX add the AU's.

Report back with your progress!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
It is.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
Does adding additional card holders have any affect whatsoever on the credit of the additional cardholders.

Also, when I cancel the card does it show that I cancelled the other cards too causing more cancellations on my report?

In short, is there anything to lose by adding additional cardholders????

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
So I just called and spoke with Membership Rewards. I gave her the Bonus ID and she notated my account that any AU's added by 12/31/2011 will qualify for 10k points after first purchase. She was also able to add the 3 Platinum AU's for me.

P.S. She did mention that I can add Gold cards as AU's of my Platinum at a fee of $45 for 5 cards and they would also qualify for the promotion, I didn't bother as I will be downgrading to Green and will try to get the $175 refunded in any case and this way the AU's now have a Platinum card for lounge access etc but if anyone has alot of people whose SSN's they can use then they can be getting 50k points for $45 or $0.0009/point...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:03:06 PM by BAHayman »

Offline moe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 04:13:06 PM »
One other point to note here, I know that with amex, since they take the ss#, the credit beurau looks at it as if you are the main cardholder. If that is true, and then I add myself to 10 different peoples accounts (lets just say as a favor) and then they close their accounts, wont that look bad for an AU as well?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
i just called and asked for the points for two users one i added like 8 months ago and one that i added like 1 month ago and they immediately issued me the 20k. I then asked if i could add another user and be issued another 10k and he issued me another 10k without making me add the user so 30k in all!

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
I would imagine not but does anyone know if it works with the starwoods or is it only MR?