Author Topic: Eida Charedit bans all Ethiopians from Barkan winery (touching the wine)  (Read 9858 times)

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
It seems  Barkan is backtracking. Tempo released a statement that the Shomer Shabbos Ethiopian employees will be returned to their posts. Not clear if Eida will drop them
Quote from: Tempo/ Barkan
The Tempo-Barkan group promotes equal treatment and opposes any manifestations of racism or discrimination, Since we found ourselves in a situation which was not of our making, and understood that we were being dragged into a political [conflict] of one sort or another — and since all our employers are equally dear to us — the director of the company has immediately instructed to not remove any workers from their positions.

“It should be stressed that in any case, even if any workers had been moved from their positions, it would not have impacted their livelihood.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:59:07 PM by moko »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Eida Charedit bans all Ethiopians from Barkan winery (touching the wine)
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2018, 10:17:33 AM »
https://cross-currents.com/2018/08/26/so-much-for-racism-at-the-badatz/
From the blogpost: "...the Badatz did not single out anyone, but, on the contrary, demanded new proof of Jewish status and Halachic observance for every employee. And it was the Ethiopian workers who refused." I am curious how this was handled at the ground level. How much more thorough were the investigations for the Ethiopians? For a non-Ethiopian, I can envision a pro forma conversation with the individual's rabbi. For an Ethiopian, probably less so.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
From the blogpost: "...the Badatz did not single out anyone, but, on the contrary, demanded new proof of Jewish status and Halachic observance for every employee. And it was the Ethiopian workers who refused." I am curious how this was handled at the ground level. How much more thorough were the investigations for the Ethiopians? For a non-Ethiopian, I can envision a pro forma conversation with the individual's rabbi. For an Ethiopian, probably less so.
You could officially investigate everyone, but if the whole point was really only for Ethiopians and they did everyone as a formality, the distinction is irrelevant.

Offline gogreen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2018, 01:03:58 PM »
You could officially investigate everyone, but if the whole point was really only for Ethiopians and they did everyone as a formality, the distinction is irrelevant.
I don't see why you would assume that everyone else was done as a formality.
The religion and observance of all people coming in contact with wine is of primary importance in determining the kashrus of wine .
A premier kashrus agency should definitely verify all involved.

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »
Is the Mashgiach from the Badatz? I find it very hard to believe this whole story. Why wouldn't Barkan come out right away and set the story straight. Why wait for months to say their side of the story.