Author Topic: New Marriott/SPG travel packages announced  (Read 15183 times)

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: New Marriott/SPG travel packages announced
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
I want to modify my dates slightly for a reservation with a cert attached to a hotel whose category increased with the merger. Will that be an issue?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline hokiegl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »
Don't make any changes on the website. The cert will fall off. Maybe you can do it over the phone

Offline TravelSER

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
Will anything change Sep. 18, about travel packages bought before the merge, like upgrading?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »
What is the deal on the 1-5 attached to calgary airport? Will they allow it to be transferred to any new Cat 5 hotel?
Is there any update on this?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Oceanblue

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:52 PM »
Sort of just went through something similar. I purchased a 7night Cat8 (now post-merger cat5) package on August 17th 2018 right before the dead period for the merger, and attached it to a hotel.  This past few weeks, I cancelled the hotel reservation because my plans changed. The certificate went back to my account with an expiration date of 8/17/19-I asked if they could extend the expiration but was told they don't do that anymore now post-merger. 

Here is my data point with the travel package:

I tried to rebook over the phone and the CSR didn't seem like he knew what he was doing and said I could book any category 8 hotel, so I booked a cat 6 (post-merger category), but the certificate didn't look like it was linked to that booking.  I called back a day later and they said there was a problem with the booking, cancelled it, then said they had to re-issue a new post-merger certificate that says its for the post-merger cat5.  In the process, they refunded me 30k marriott points since this new cat5 certificate was less expensive than the pre-merger cat8 one I purchased.  This new cat5 now has an expiration date of Feb 2020, and the CSR told me that if it gets close to the expiration, I can always call and have it extended.

Now when I tried to book with that certificate the cat5 hotel I wanted to book in Kauai wasn't available, but the cat4 one is, so I requested over the phone to book that.  This time when I chatted with the CSR, he said that he couldn't book a cat4 hotel with the cat5 certificate, so he had to reissue a new cat4 certificate, and in the process also refund me 60k Marriott points due the price discrepancy. 

So now, I am +90k Marriott points in my account, and have a cat4 hotel booked.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2019, 09:53:07 PM »
Sort of just went through something similar. I purchased a 7night Cat8 (now cat 5) package on August 17th right before the dead period for the merger, and attached it to a hotel.  This past few weeks, I cancelled the hotel reservation because my plans changed. The certificate went back to my account with an expiration date of 8/17/19. 

Here is my data point with the travel package:

I tried to rebook over the phone and the CSR didn't seem like he knew what he was doing and said I could book any category 8 hotel, so I booked a cat 6 (post-merger category), but the certificate didn't look like it was linked to that booking.  I called back a day later and they said there was a problem with the booking, cancelled it, then said they had to re-issue a new post-merger certificate that says its for the post-merger category 5.  In the process, they refunded me 30k marriott points since this new cat5 certificate was less expensive than the pre-merger cat8 one I purchased. 

Now when I tried to book with that certificate the cat5 hotel I wanted to book in Kauai wasn't available, but the cat4 one is, so I requested over the phone to book that.  This time when I chatted with the CSR, he said that he couldn't book a cat4 hotel with the cat5 certificate, so he had to reissue a new cat4 certificate, and in the process also refund me 60k Marriott points due the price discrepancy. 

So now, I am +90k Marriott points in my account, and have a cat4 hotel booked.
the 30k was a known thing all along.
Anyway, I guess this just shows that attaching to cat changing hotels strategy didn't work and we end up with what we paid for.
I have old cat 8 and cat 5 still booked.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Oceanblue

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
the 30k was a known thing all along.
Anyway, I guess this just shows that attaching to cat changing hotels strategy didn't work and we end up with what we paid for.
I have old cat 8 and cat 5 still booked.

Ah, thanks. I haven't followed along very closely, so that was a surprise to me, as well as the additional 60k points for downgrading.  A welcome surprise for sure.  I definitely gambled and attached the cert to a hotel right away. 

Offline Joshuat

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
Long shot but thought was worth asking. Anyone able to book a 60k nights hotels with old cat 8 7night cert? I tried HUCA a few times but agent said only new cat 6. Any point in continuing to HUCA?

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
Is there any way to upgrade a 7 night certificate from category 5 to category 8?  Spoke to CSR who said it's not possible.