Author Topic: New Marriott/SPG travel packages announced  (Read 7471 times)

Offline hokiegl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Marriott/SPG travel packages announced
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »
I looked at my calgary reservation, it has 35k points attached to it. No idea what will happen if changing res.
No news yet on attached cert ...

I changed a few reservations and each time the certificate came off. This was done online. In one try I tried converting to a cash stay in hopes to get all the points refunded and in the other I simply changed the dates of the 7 day stay. So no go each.

In a few months I will try to do it on the phone with some other stays. Maybe an agent can force these kind of changes without loosing the "increased" value of the certs.

Offline techmate99

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
The hotel (s) I want went up to cat 5 now, hoping I can turn my cert to those hotel somehow

I changed a few reservations and each time the certificate came off. This was done online. In one try I tried converting to a cash stay in hopes to get all the points refunded and in the other I simply changed the dates of the 7 day stay. So no go each.

In a few months I will try to do it on the phone with some other stays. Maybe an agent can force these kind of changes without loosing the "increased" value of the certs.

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »
i had purchased a 5 nights  travel pkg for 345 points and attached it to a reservation at  Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection in June 2019. I made it on Aug 17 '18  and i received an email confirmation of the purchase of the pkg and confirmation of the hotel stay now i see they sent me another email that they cancelled the pkg order upon my request on the same day as i ordered it. i never ask them to cancel what should i do now??

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »
looks like marriot has made a bit of improvement on their devalued travel package and added 10k miles  https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem/travel/packages.mi

Offline techmate99

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2018, 03:53:37 PM »
any DP on switching  attached cat1-5 calgary airport hotel to diff hotel?

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
I want to modify my dates slightly for a reservation with a cert attached to a hotel whose category increased with the merger. Will that be an issue?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline hokiegl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »
Don't make any changes on the website. The cert will fall off. Maybe you can do it over the phone

Offline TravelSER

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
Will anything change Sep. 18, about travel packages bought before the merge, like upgrading?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »
What is the deal on the 1-5 attached to calgary airport? Will they allow it to be transferred to any new Cat 5 hotel?
Is there any update on this?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Oceanblue

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:52 PM »
Sort of just went through something similar. I purchased a 7night Cat8 (now post-merger cat5) package on August 17th 2018 right before the dead period for the merger, and attached it to a hotel.  This past few weeks, I cancelled the hotel reservation because my plans changed. The certificate went back to my account with an expiration date of 8/17/19-I asked if they could extend the expiration but was told they don't do that anymore now post-merger. 

Here is my data point with the travel package:

I tried to rebook over the phone and the CSR didn't seem like he knew what he was doing and said I could book any category 8 hotel, so I booked a cat 6 (post-merger category), but the certificate didn't look like it was linked to that booking.  I called back a day later and they said there was a problem with the booking, cancelled it, then said they had to re-issue a new post-merger certificate that says its for the post-merger cat5.  In the process, they refunded me 30k marriott points since this new cat5 certificate was less expensive than the pre-merger cat8 one I purchased.  This new cat5 now has an expiration date of Feb 2020, and the CSR told me that if it gets close to the expiration, I can always call and have it extended.

Now when I tried to book with that certificate the cat5 hotel I wanted to book in Kauai wasn't available, but the cat4 one is, so I requested over the phone to book that.  This time when I chatted with the CSR, he said that he couldn't book a cat4 hotel with the cat5 certificate, so he had to reissue a new cat4 certificate, and in the process also refund me 60k Marriott points due the price discrepancy. 

So now, I am +90k Marriott points in my account, and have a cat4 hotel booked.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2019, 09:53:07 PM »
Sort of just went through something similar. I purchased a 7night Cat8 (now cat 5) package on August 17th right before the dead period for the merger, and attached it to a hotel.  This past few weeks, I cancelled the hotel reservation because my plans changed. The certificate went back to my account with an expiration date of 8/17/19. 

Here is my data point with the travel package:

I tried to rebook over the phone and the CSR didn't seem like he knew what he was doing and said I could book any category 8 hotel, so I booked a cat 6 (post-merger category), but the certificate didn't look like it was linked to that booking.  I called back a day later and they said there was a problem with the booking, cancelled it, then said they had to re-issue a new post-merger certificate that says its for the post-merger category 5.  In the process, they refunded me 30k marriott points since this new cat5 certificate was less expensive than the pre-merger cat8 one I purchased. 

Now when I tried to book with that certificate the cat5 hotel I wanted to book in Kauai wasn't available, but the cat4 one is, so I requested over the phone to book that.  This time when I chatted with the CSR, he said that he couldn't book a cat4 hotel with the cat5 certificate, so he had to reissue a new cat4 certificate, and in the process also refund me 60k Marriott points due the price discrepancy. 

So now, I am +90k Marriott points in my account, and have a cat4 hotel booked.
the 30k was a known thing all along.
Anyway, I guess this just shows that attaching to cat changing hotels strategy didn't work and we end up with what we paid for.
I have old cat 8 and cat 5 still booked.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Oceanblue

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
the 30k was a known thing all along.
Anyway, I guess this just shows that attaching to cat changing hotels strategy didn't work and we end up with what we paid for.
I have old cat 8 and cat 5 still booked.

Ah, thanks. I haven't followed along very closely, so that was a surprise to me, as well as the additional 60k points for downgrading.  A welcome surprise for sure.  I definitely gambled and attached the cert to a hotel right away. 

Offline Joshuat

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
Long shot but thought was worth asking. Anyone able to book a 60k nights hotels with old cat 8 7night cert? I tried HUCA a few times but agent said only new cat 6. Any point in continuing to HUCA?

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
Is there any way to upgrade a 7 night certificate from category 5 to category 8?  Spoke to CSR who said it's not possible.