Author Topic: A Long Weekend in Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
A Long Weekend in Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »
Introduction
Delta SkyClub JFK
AeroMexico JFK-MEX
Hyatt Regency and Mexico City
MEX Airport and Volaris MEX-PVR
Puerto Vallarta
PVR Airport and Volaris PVR-MEX
Overnight in Mexico City Airport
AeroMexico MEX-JFK

Welcome to my next trip report covering AeroMexico Business Class, Volaris, Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta.

Back in March there were some great priced Business Class AeroMexico tickets to Mexico City, so my good friend and popular DDF contributor, @Yaalili, asked me if I wanted to go with him. After giving it some thought (about 60 seconds) I agreed, and we booked a round trip from JFK to MEX. The pictures in this review are a combination of both of ours, and the full review will be posted in 9 segments as outlined above.

There are 4 daily flights operated by AeroMexico between JFK and MEX, but only 1 is flown by a 787-9 which features reverse-herringbone in business class; whereas the other 3 are 737-800's with a basic business class (like a domestic business class). When booking, we ensured we booked the flights with the 789.

AeroMexico 787-9

Being we were going over the weekend, we were deciding where to spend shabbos. We could of course, have spent it in Mexico City, but what fun would that have been!? So, we looked at one of the coastal resort cities and narrowed our search down to: Cancun, Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. We eventually settled on Puerto Vallarta.

Flight's between Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta are not too expensive so we booked a round trip on the Mexican low cost carrier, Volaris.

Volaris A321 (Stock Image)

For accommodation, we booked the Hyatt Regency, Mexico City (using a Hyatt anniversary night) for the one night we were there, and an Airbnb for the 2 nights in Puerto Vallarta.

Hyatt Regency Mexico City

Airbnb Puerto Vallarta

In the end our itinerary looked like this:

Map

JFK-MEX
AeroMexico - AM409
Boeing 787-9

Hyatt Regency
Mexico City

MEX-PVR
Volaris - Y4784
Airbus A321

Airbnb
Puerto Vallarta

PVR-MEX
Volaris Y4787
Airbus A321

MEX-JFK
AeroMexico - AM408
Boeing 787-9

As always, any questions, comments and feedback are always welcome!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:28:57 AM by N1GEL »
"An elephant for a quarter, is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a quarter”

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: A Long Weekend in Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
Part 2 - Delta SkyClub

We arrived at JFK's Terminal 4 with time to spare before our flight. One thing to note when flying AeroMexico, is that ALL JFK ground services are handled by Delta. This includes check-in and boarding. The SkyPriority check-in for Delta is located at the far right of the terminal. Once through security we made our way to the SkyClub which is located opposit gate B33 and one level up.

The lounge was quite full and we didn’t feel comfortable taking pictures in such a crowded space, so our apologies for lack of pictures.

The SkyClub is very large with ample seating and features an outdoor terrace overlooking the apron and runway 22R/4L. The room is in a rectangular shape with partitions split it up into many different areas. The seating is split between a bar, casual lounge and tabel-top (restaurant style). There is also a business center behind the wall that overlooks the apron.

The best feature of the lounge is the outdoor terrace! There is no service outside so you need ot go inside the lounge to get food and drink (but you bring it outside with you). Terminal 4 is the most exciting terminal in JFK and being able to sit outside, drink a beer and plane watch is awesome!

After a quick tour of the lounge we each got a beer and headed onto the terrace. With regards to kosher food, there is fresh fruit & veg as well as some OU/OU-D pre packaged snacks.

Delta skyclub deck

A beer with a view

Head to head with an A380

Asiana Airlines A380 nose

Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300

Delta 767-400

El-Al 747-400

Delta 767-400 and Thomas Cook A330

Delta 767-400 and Asiana Airlines A380

After spending some time in the lounge we eventually made our way to gate B41 for our AeroMexico flight to Mexico City!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:52:16 PM by N1GEL »
"An elephant for a quarter, is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a quarter”

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »
Great start. Keep 'em coming!

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »
Great start. Keep 'em coming!

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it!

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
Part 3 - AeroMexico Buisness Class JFK-MEX

JFK-MEX
AeroMexico - AM409
Business Class - Boeing 787-9

AeroMexico 787-9

Boarding commenced with Business Class and we were soon on board the beautiful 787-9. We were greeted at the door and pointed left towards the forward business class cabin where our seats were located. The business class cabin takes up the entire space between doors 1 and 2, and there are a further 2 rows of business class behind door 2. The cabin looked clean and fresh and we made our way to seats 1 & 2A.

Waiting at our seats were headphones and a pillow and blanket. The seat is reverse-herringbone, meaning it faces away from the aisle which gives you some privacy. These seats are very comfortable and have ample storage for all your bits ‘n’ pieces. Upon settling down we were offered a glass of water or wine; we chose the former.

Cheap Headphones

Hand-held Controller and Charger

Cabin View

Welcome Drink

Once boarding was completed, the safety video was played and we taxied towards the runway for a beautiful, smooth take-off.

[more] Plane Spotting

The Beautiful Israeli Queen

Views of JFK on Take-Off

Views of JFK on Take-Off

As soon as the seatbelt sign was turned off, the crew commenced their in-flight service. Lunch started with a beverage service and then we were handed our mouthwateringly-delicious, never-changing, Borenstien business class lunch. The starter was the same unidentifiable fish covered in a smiley sauce on a bed of some coleslaw along with a chickpea and corn salad. For the main we were served - yes, you guessed it - chicken, potatoes and carrots! The dessert was a [stale] Reisman pastry.

Borenstein Starter

Main Dish

Chicken and Potatoes

Sprite

Iced Coffee

The lunch service was completed approximately one hour after take-off which left a nice 3.5-4 hours left to the flight. At this point we settled back and relaxed. Aside from a drinks service prior to landing, there was no more service (which is perfectly fine for such a flight). There was, however, a self-service bar between the 2 business class cabins. There was fruit and packaged snacks as well as sodas and a Nespresso machine which made espresso and cappuccino drinks.

Gorgeous Wing Flex on the 787-9

Gin and Tonic

Before long we were commencing our decent into Mexico City! We had a smooth touchdown and after a 20 minute wait in the immigration line, we were on our way to the hotel.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:53:02 AM by N1GEL »

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »
AM made sure to give us the Kosher for Passover chicken and potatoes, for the extra kosher taste.

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »
AM made sure to give us the Kosher for Passover chicken and potatoes, for the extra kosher taste.

Yes, and I also forgot to mention the meals were out of date...

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
Part 4 – Mexico City

The Hyatt Regency and the kosher restaurants are in the upscale Polanco district of Mexico City. The Polanco district is a very affluent area, and where most of the Jewish community live and kosher restaurants are located. The Uber ride from the airport took about 50 minutes due to heavy traffic and cost approximately $9 USD.

We decided to go directly to the restaurant for dinner and then to the hotel which was about a 3-minute walk. There are several kosher restaurants in Mexico City, and we decided to go to the Argentinian Steakhouse - Gaucho Grill due to its proximity to the hotel.

The restaurant is very nice with plenty of seating both indoor and outdoor. We arrived at 9 pm and the restaurant was completely empty aside form one other table, but later filled up.

Exterior of Gaucho Grill

Main Restaurant

A few things to note about the restaurant.

1. It is quite pricey. And not pricey by Mexican standards, I mean, New York City prices. However, the food was incredible!

2. The menu is only in Spanish and the waiter didn't speak much English. We ended up communicating via Google Translate and Yaalili’s limited Spanish!

Menu

Once we were settled, we were offered some delicious bread rolls with a selection of sauces ( I don't recall what they were).

For starters we had lentil soup, a big chicken empanada and beef empanadas. The empanadas were served with a few hot sauces and since I like hot foods, I found these sauces delicious. Both empanadas were delicious as well.

For the main we had the "Chuleton" Steak (a big rib-eye steak), ribs and sides of french fries and baked potatoes. The steak was served on a "table-top" coal grill -  while it was theatrical, it wasn't overly practical - although Yaalili begs to differ! The meats were delicious and cooked perfectly. I didn't care too much for the sides, nor the fishy tasting sauce that accompanied them. I found them a bit underwhelming. They were french fries and a baked potato! Nothing much to say about them!

Bread and Sauces

Beef Empanadas

Chicken Empanada

Lentil Soup

Rib-Eye Steak

Ribs

Side Dishes

By the time we were finished we were both exhausted. We paid and made our way to the Hyatt. Interesting to note is that when we were leaving, the restaurant was probably 75% full. It’s open late and in Latin America, late dinners are the norm.

The Hyatt is located right next to the InterContinental, JW Marriott and the W hotel. Upon entering the hotel there was security check (metal detector etc..) and then we made our way into the lobby which is very nice and spacious, with lots of skylights that provide natural light during the day.

At check-in we were assigned to a room on the 29th floor and directed towards the elevators. We were also given a voucher to redeem for a fruit bowl (more on this later). We used this in the morning.

Despite not having an elite status with Hyatt (other than what the Hyatt credit card offers), about a week before we were heading out, Yaalili received an email from the hotel letting him know they are looking forward to greeting us and are there any snacks or beverages we’d like? Sure! Trying our luck Yaalili  told them that we only eat kosher, and said we'd love some beers and fresh fruit. Alas, when we entered our room there was a hand-written welcome card, 2 Corona’s and some bottled water!

View of the Hyatt from the restaurant

Hyatt Regency, Mexico City

Welcome Note

Complimentary Beers

Complimentary Water

The room was a decent size and the beds very comfortable. In the corner, next to the desk was a comfortable chair to relax in. The bathroom was spacious and clean. In the morning, we called down and requested our fruit bowl which, as the name suggests, was a bowl with 2 apples and 2 pears! This took over 40 minutes to be delivered. Although the morning was very hazy, there was still a nice view over Mexico City.

Morning Fruit Bowl

View

As far as other amenities in the hotel, there is a gym, indoor pool, sauna and spa. There is also a sun-deck with nice views overlooking the city with deck-chairs.

Pool

Pool

Deck

Deck

Poolside Deck Chairs

View from Deck

View from Deck

View from the Deck

It was a beautiful morning and after we checked out, we strolled around the area a bit before heading to the airport for our Volaris flight to Puerto Vallarta.

If you’ve been to Mexico City, and stayed at the Hyatt or eaten at Gaucho Grill, how did your experiences compare?

As always, thanks for reading and any feedback is welcome!

Exterior of Hotel

Random Fountain in Park

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:03:35 PM by N1GEL »

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 01:13:58 AM »
Thanks, straight to the point TR and nice pictures.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 09:18:46 AM »
Thanks, straight to the point TR and nice pictures.

Thank you for your feedback, glad you're enjoying the TR

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 10:47:59 PM »
Thank you for your feedback, glad you're enjoying the TR
Thanks. I have never been to Mexico, except for Cancun, Playa and Puerto Vallarta, the tourist areas, is Mexico City an interesting place to visit for 3-4 day trip?

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
Thanks. I have never been to Mexico, except for Cancun, Playa and Puerto Vallarta, the tourist areas, is Mexico City an interesting place to visit for 3-4 day trip?

Being that we were in Mexico City for a total of 15 hours (and most of that was spent in a hotel room), I don't think I am the right person to answer that question! However, the area we were in was very nice and there seemed to be quite a bit going on there. Mexico City, like any big city, has a lot of stuff to do, like museums etc... If I were going to Mexico City for a vacation, I'd probably stay around 3-4 days.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
Being that we were in Mexico City for a total of 15 hours (and most of that was spent in a hotel room), I don't think I am the right person to answer that question! However, the area we were in was very nice and there seemed to be quite a bit going on there. Mexico City, like any big city, has a lot of stuff to do, like museums etc... If I were going to Mexico City for a vacation, I'd probably stay around 3-4 days.
Thank you.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
Nicely written, looking forward to the next installment.

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
Nicely written, looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you! Hopefully the next installment should be posted in the next few days.

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
Our flight to Puerto Vallarta was scheduled to depart at 12:00 pm so we headed to the airport at around 09:00 am. We left early since Mexico City airport has a kosher café and we wanted to get something to eat, as well as check out some of the lounges. Mexico City has 2 terminals, and this post covers only lounges in terminal 1. Terminal 2 will be covered in a later post

We arrived at the airport and eventually found Lea’s café. The café is hidden away and not overly easy to find. I wrote a separate post on the Mexico City master thread which can be found here.

Please note: we do not endorse the kashrut of this establishment.

Lea’s have a large selection of food and beverages, including sandwiches, pastries, snacks and hot food. The prices are very reasonable; approximately $4.50 per sandwich. We got a selection of sandwiches, pastries and snacks to have for breakfast as well as last us throughout the day ahead.

Cafe

Cafe

Menu

Menu

Grilled Cheese Panini

French Fries

After our breakfast, we made our way through security and airside to explore the lounge options. Mexico City airport has a plethora of lounges including an American Express Centurion lounge as well a few solid Priority Pass options. One thing to note, the terminal was PACKED! Very little room to walk, and this was also true in the lounges which made it very difficult to take pictures, so please excuse the lack of pictures in this post.

We first went to the Centurion lounge which was very hot and beyond packed! There were no seats available and people were standing around waiting for some to open. We walked in and left after about 2 minutes to head to the Priority Pass lounge – Lounge 19 (located by gate 19). A later post will be covering our experience of the Centurion lounge in Terminal 2, which was vastly different. 

As soon as we entered we were greeted by a host who showed us to a couple of recliner seats in a room behind the main lounge. The service in lounge was incredible! Our host asked us what drinks and food we wanted and brought them over to us (iced coffee and fresh fruit). When our cups and/or plates were empty, she appeared out of nowhere and asked us if we wanted a refill! The one down side was the wifi… it was slow and kept disconnecting.

We originally had about an hour to kill in the lunge before our flight, however, due to a delay in our aircraft arriving from Guadalajara, we were in the lounge for extra 1 ½ hours. Volaris proactively gave us a 200 MXN - $10 USD voucher! (yay!)

Eventually our aircraft arrived and we made our way to the boarding gate. Boarding was perhaps the most hectic I have ever seen. There were 4 boarding groups, with 4 lanes, but no one seemed to know where they should be! Once boarding commenced everyone gravitated to the podium, but the staff were very good at enforcing the boarding groups so sent people back which just doubled the congestion.

Eventually we made our way on board. I was seated in the very last row next to the “window”. False advertising – there was no window there! Before long we were on our way. The flight was 100% full but very uneventful and after an hour and a quarter we were in Puerto Vallarta!

Thanks for reading, and any and all feedback is welcome!

It’s a long way back here!

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 02:42:46 PM »
Puerto Vallarta – Part 1

I originally wanted to have one post on Puerto Valarrta, but after writing half of it, I realized it was quite long. So, I am splitting it into 2 posts. The first will cover the Airbnb and Chabad, and the second will cover what we did. 

After we exited the airport we called an Uber to take us to our Airbnb. Interesting to note: Uber are not allowed to pick up directly from the airport so we had to meet our Uber around the corner. The weather was gorgeous (albeit a bit on the hotter side) and despite being part of mainland Mexico, it had a very “small island feel” (hot, humid, sea breeze etc…).

Accommodation:
For our 2 nights in Puerto Vallarta, we booked an ocean view Airbnb 1 block (30 second walk) away from the beach for $25/night. While not uncomfortable, it was not without issues. (When paying $25 a night, one can hardly expect the St. Regis!). We met our host, Luis, who gave us the keys and showed us around the property.

The apartment was self-contained, on the 3rd floor of the house and was fully furnished (minus shampoo which we had to buy). The apartment consisted of 3 rooms; a decent sized bedroom with 2 beds, a bathroom and very large main room that included the kitchen, living room and a dining table and couch. There was also access to the roof that had on it some deck chairs.

Living room and dining table

Dining table and kitchen

View from the apartment

View from the apartment

Bathroom

Bedroom

Staircase to the roof

View from the roof

Roof Deck

There were a few issues with the apartment when we arrived. However, to his credit, Luis resolved them promptly. First there was an issue with the lock on the front door, so a locksmith was called and it was somewhat fixed. It worked by time the locksmith had left but it was still a bit iffy. The second issue was the air conditioner. There was one a/c and that was in the bedroom. At first it didn’t work at all so Luis did a bit of tinkering and it turned on… however, it also deposited a vast amount of water on the bed beneath it! Luis turned it back off and called a mechanic. It was fixed while we were out for Friday Night dinner, but when we arrived back it was fixed and working well.

Jewish Services:
Our Airbnb was approximately 1.7 miles away and the walk took about half an hour. Being that it was quite hot, we stopped by the Sheraton to cool off and take a break.

There is one Shliach in the city who hosts weekly Friday Night dinners as well as services. The Shluchim, Rabbi Shneur and Mushkie Hecht, are wonderful people who do amazing work for the small community, and while there is no kosher restaurant, they do have a small kosher store in their Chabad House. They host a very large Friday Night meal for the whole community and you can RSVP from their website (ChabadVallarta.com). They do not charge to come, but you are encouraged to give a donation.

Friday Night dinner was phenomenal! The food was top-notch and in abundance. We met some interesting characters, including Tzvi, an ex-Israeli Air force pilot who then flew for 20 years as captain for Singapore Airlines on the 747! You can bet we had a very long and interesting conversation with him! He is retired now and only flies recreationally.

After shacharis on Shabbos day there was a small Kiddush and lunch. Again, the food and company was amazing.

Stay tuned for part 2 which covers what we did in Puerto Vallarta.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 12:53:53 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 09:22:27 PM »
Puerto Vallarta - Part 2

Things to do:
Puerto Vallarta is beach resort, so you’d find all the standard beach activities such as snorkeling and ziplining. However, we didn’t do much of that.
Due to our flight delay, we only had a few hours from when we arrived until we had to leave to go to the Chabad House for Shabbos. We had enough time to walk around the town for a bit and visit the supermarket to get fruit, veg and snacks to last us our visit.

Snacks

The main boardwalk (called the Malecón) is where all the night activities are. As we saw on our Friday Night walk back, this place comes alive at night with street performers, bars, clubs etc… While, we aren’t “party animals” we were looking forward to checking it out on Saturday Night.
But that didn’t happen. I must’ve eaten or drank something funky as about an hour after getting back form lunch I got a fever and headache etc… without going into too many gory details, I was out cold and was sick in bed for about 12 hours. This put a damper on my vacation and ruined our Motzoai Shabbos plans. However, by time Sunday morning rolled around I was feeling fit and well.

Mirador de La Cruz
There are many free things to do in Puerto Vallarta and most include walking, and we started the day by taking a small “hike” up to the top of the hill called Mirador de La Cruz which is behind the city. It wasn’t so much a hike as it was a strenuous walk up a steep road and then a about 1,000 steps. However, the view from the top is breathtaking! Despite it being a bit hazy, we were still able to capture some beautiful pictures. We stayed up there for a bit before making our way back down.

View

Views

View

View

Blocked view

View

View

“Hiking trail”

Broken cable car with stairs

ChocoMuseo
We then went back to our Airbnb, ate breakfast, packed up and checked out. When looking for things to do we saw that a chocolate museum/factory was rated by TripAdvisor as the #1 thing in Puerto Vallarta (under museums). So we went there.

The museum is in a chocolate shop and is split into 2 levels; the 1st level is the chocolate shop, the 2nd is the museum and factory and the 3rd is a cafe. The museum part is self-guided, which basically means reading some wall posters of the history of chocolate and how it’s made etc… You can also pay to take part in actual chocolate making (or watch for free), however, on this Sunday morning, they weren’t making any chocolate.

After the museum, we went downstairs and the shop assistant was showing us raw cacao beans and the process how they go from bean to chocolate.

Chocolate shop

View from chocolate shop

Malecón and beach
After the chocolate shop, we headed to Isla Cuale which has a local market, which was about half a mile walk. Since it was very hot, we decided to walk there slowly via the Malecón (boardwalk) and beach. The beach was gorgeous with white sand and crisp clear water. We took our time and before long we arrived at the Isla Cuale.

Beach

Beach

Beach

Beach

Boardwalk

PVR sign

Boardwalk Beach

Boardwalk

Boardwalk

Boardwalk

Boardwalk

Sand art

Isla Cuale
The Isla Cuale is an island located on the south side of Puerto Vallarta and there are several suspension bridges to get on/off the island. The entire island is basically one big market with some bars. The feel on the island is very different than the rest of the city. Due to the humidity, and many trees and greenery, it felt like we were in the middle of a rain forest. Like any market, we were harassed by every stall.

We browsed the stalls a bit, bought souvenirs and popped into a bar for a drink. By the time we were finished it was late in the day and we had been “homeless” for quite a few hours, and were wiped out. Very few bars had air conditioning so we ended up in a nicely chilled Starbucks for an hour to cool off and relax.

After we were sufficiently relaxed, it was time to make our way to the airport for out flight to Mexico City.

PSA:
If you’re paying ~$25 a night for an Airbnb, and have a late-night flight, book an extra night and thank me later! We were beyond exhausted from schlepping our heavy backpacks.

Market on Isla Cuela

Market on Isla Cuela

Isla Cuale

Market on Isla Cuela

Bar on Isla Cuela

Isla Cuela

Isla Cuela

Isla Cuela

Foliage

Beach view

Beach

Have you been to Puerto Vallarta? If yes, what did you do and how did your experience differ?

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
PVR airport and Voalris PVR-MEX
Overnight in MEX/Lounge hopping
AeroMexico 787 MEX-JFK

After a very nice time in Puerto Vallarta, it was time to leave. Our flight was departing at 9:30 pm and we had just enough time to check out the Priority Pass lounge. There is one lounge in PVR and that is the VIP Lounge. It was closing as we got there, but they let us in and we ended up staying for about an hour and a half! The lounge itself is small with basic snacks and drinks. There are big windows overlooking the tarmac and we even saw an Interjet Sukhoi Superjet 100!

Lounge

Interjet Sukhoi Superjet 100

After getting kicked out the lounge we made our way to the gate where the Volaris staff were setting up for boarding. Boarding was less chaotic than in MEX and we were soon on board. For this flight we each had 3 seats to ourselves! The flight was quick and smooth and before long we were in MEX. During landing we were treated to spectacular views of downtown Mexico City.

We arrived at 11:00 pm and our flight to JFK wasn't until 7 am so we had a looooong night in MEX! Fortunately, the lounges are open 24 hours a day and we first went to The Grand Lounge which is located in terminal 1. The lounge is used by most of the internal airlines departing from terminal 1. When we arrived it was filled with mainly Japanese passengers who were on the ANA flight to Tokyo.

The Grand Lounge entrance

Once that flight took off, the lounge emptied and we had the lounge to ourselves. The lounge a decent size and very comfortable! There is tons of seating in many different varieties. As far as food and drinks. There is a well stocked self-service bar as well as an espresso bar. There were some kosher prepackaged snacks as well as fresh fruit and vegetables. There is also a shower which we took advantage of.

The service in the lounge started off very good, but after a half an hour or so they ignored us!  Every once in a while a lunge attendant would come over to us and offer to get us something. We stayed there until about 2:30 am at which point we headed to Lea’s Cafe for some real food and then headed to Terminal 2 to check out the AeroMexico lounge.

The Grand Lounge

The Grand Lounge

The Grand Lounge shower amenities

The Grand Lounge shower slippers and towels

For some reason terminal 2 stank as if a sewage pipe had burst! The smell was less in the AeroMexico lounge, but still tarnished our time there. The AeroMexico lounge is split into a few rooms as well as small private “rooms” off the main lounge. These rooms had 4 seats and 2 small drinks tables. Perfect for relaxing. We spent about half an hour in this long before heading to the American Express lounge.

AeroMexico Lounge

AeroMexico Lounge

AeroMexico Lounge Beverages

AeroMexico Lounge

This lounge was gorgeous and very comfortable! Most of the food and beverages cost, however, being that we had just come from the AeroMexico lounge we were neither hungry nor thirsty. The lounge is split over a few floors and on the upper level is the “Zen Room”. The Zen Room is a long room with soothing music and relaxing scent. There were daybeds as well as comfortable seats. I was quite exhausted at this point and slept on one of the day beds for about an hour until it was time to board.

American Express Lounge

American Express Lounge

American Express Lounge

American Express Lounge

American Express Lounge

American Express Zen Room

American Express Zen Room

We made our way to the gate where boarding was about to begin. Within a few minutes we were on board. The flight back to New York was more-or-less identical to our flight from JFK with the exception of the meal. The meal was disgusting - to the point of being inedible!! Anyway, after 4.5 hours we were descending into JFK which brought our weekend break to an end!

AeroMexico 737

Take off from Mexico City

Kosher meal

Vile and disgusting meal

Approach info JFK

Landing

Hope you enjoyed reading this Trip Report!