Author Topic: Discover Cash Back Checking Account  (Read 2497 times)

Offline shneur99

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Discover Cash Back Checking Account
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
Discover until now had a free checking account, that gave back 10 cents for most transactions, Bill payments, checks written, debit card swipes (which i used for $1-$5 transactions). Up to $10 a month. Seems like as of Nov 1 they are changing it to 1% back on all debit card swipes only.
While it is an excellent account, and i was very happy with it, the main reason i opened with them was for getting money from a checking account as opposed either having to pay or get direct deposit. Another side benefit is that they also print checks free.
So if anyone knows of another bank that offers something similar it would be greatly appreciated.

I did call them and they said if they receive enough feedback from customers that don't like the new system maybe they will give the option to grandfather in the old program.

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Discover Cash Back Checking Account
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
Making 100 bill payments a month has been quite a tedious clicking experience, but earned me $120 per year. I got an additional month to do it. The change in terms was postponed until December 1, 2017.

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:54:38 AM »
Discover recently sent me this fine print:
(ii) Debit card purchases that are not eligible for 1% Checking Cashback Bonus rewards include:
(b) The purchase of money orders or other cash-equivalents*

Do supermarkets that sell MOs take Discover Debit? If so, does Discover actually get enough information about the transaction to know it is not eligible?

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »
Discover until now had a free checking account, that gave back 10 cents for most transactions, Bill payments, checks written, debit card swipes (which i used for $1-$5 transactions). Up to $10 a month. Seems like as of Nov 1 they are changing it to 1% back on all debit card swipes only.
While it is an excellent account, and i was very happy with it, the main reason i opened with them was for getting money from a checking account as opposed either having to pay or get direct deposit. Another side benefit is that they also print checks free.
So if anyone knows of another bank that offers something similar it would be greatly appreciated.

I did call them and they said if they receive enough feedback from customers that don't like the new system maybe they will give the option to grandfather in the old program.
Try capital one 360 it’s Free no minimum and free checks