Author Topic: Amex 2014 Terms and Conditions  (Read 30600 times)

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: Amex 2014 Terms and Conditions
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
Talk to any competent tax attorney. Better yet find someone involved in this situation.
Talked to a tax attorney in a case right now. He just doesn't understand churning so I got little clarity.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
Talked to a tax attorney in a case right now. He just doesn't understand churning so I got little clarity.
Churning is relatively simple to explain, so is MSing, any attorney worth his salt should be able to understand the basics, my $.02.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2018, 11:18:55 AM »
Has nothing to do with churning.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
Ouch! Run as fast as you can from that guy.
When I had my issue it took the attorney all of thirty minutes to understand MS and the first consultation was free. :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »

Ouch! Run as fast as you can from that guy.
When I had my issue it took the attorney all of thirty minutes to understand MS and the first consultation was free. :)

Has nothing to do with churning.

Churning is relatively simple to explain, so is MSing, any attorney worth his salt should be able to understand the basics, my $.02.

Trying to understand if there should be a difference between general spend (more logical to be a purchase rebate) and MS. And if there is a difference between CB vs. Points for use vs. Points sold, is a little hard to comprehend without much knowledge.
Aside from that fact that all he can tell me is his feel, since the case is pending in court.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »

Trying to understand if there should be a difference between general spend (more logical to be a purchase rebate) and MS. And if there is a difference between CB vs. Points for use vs. Points sold, is a little hard to comprehend without much knowledge.
No it's not, he may not be able to tell you what the actual law is but he should definitely be able to understand it.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
In broad strokes:

-Yes, difference between generic spend and manufactured spend.
--Yes, difference between points and cash back.
--Yes, difference between personal use and selling.

This is not legal advice. Consult your own professional.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »

Aside from that fact that all he can tell me is his feel, since the case is pending in court.

There's a case pending in tax court?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
@henche, what's your opinion?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
There is a big difference between the position the IRS is taking and what we (tax attorneys) think they should.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
There is a big difference between the position the IRS is taking and what we (tax attorneys) think they should.
The IRS can take any position they want, doesn't mean they'll win.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »
The IRS can take any position they want, doesn't mean they'll win.
What it means is BIG buck attorney fees.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
In broad strokes:

-Yes, difference between generic spend and manufactured spend.
--Yes, difference between points and cash back.
--Yes, difference between personal use and selling.

This is not legal advice. Consult your own professional.
That was my understanding. And what I took out is I who earns miles from generic spend and MS for personal use, not for resale would not have to file for that. But cashback from MS I would and from generic spend I won't. Please CMIIW.
There's a case pending in tax court?
So he says

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »
That was my understanding. And what I took out is I who earns miles from generic spend and MS for personal use, not for resale would not have to file for that. But cashback from MS I would and from generic spend I won't.
Basically no difference between CB, miles and points to the IRS. The problem with some types of MS for personal use is at some point the IRS will claim it is a business.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2018, 01:49:41 PM »
Did the IRS start posting on DDF?

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »
Here are some sevaras I'm thinking, although again, haven't really looked into this and many here have probably thought about it more than me.

1. CB, points on generic spend, seem akin to a rebate, which means you just paid less for the potatoes you were buying. Hard to see that as taxable.

2. Same with FF miles you get for flying. You just paid less for your flight.

3. IRS Announcement 2002-18 was about business travel. Your employer pays for your flight, and you get miles. If was like scenario 2, the employer would get the miles. So this is more like your employer giving you additional compensation in miles, but IRS was mochel it.

4. Points or miles you get from deposit bank accounts, seem most like interest income. Hard to see it as anything different.

5. MS from buying groups.  If you treat it as having paid less for potatoes, like under scenario 1, then your basis in the potatoes is less, and  you had a profit when you onsold it to the buying club guy.  So seems like either business income or short term gains (with various nafka minas).

6. MS from GCs. This is the weirdest one, because it seems irrational to say that your basis in a $500 GC is only $492. However, I can get past that weirdness, especially considering that you can trade GS below face value all over ebay.  So hagah atzmecha: If I buy a Target GC for $475, and then buy $500 worth of potatoes at Target, do I have income or gains of $25? That seems like an insane position to take.  But that's where the usual theories would seem to take us.  If you have a business, I would think very hard to argue that the money you are making wasn't made. But seems nuts that you have income everytime you buy a GC below face value and then use it.  At some point it may just come down to the optics.

These are just some boich sevaras--no idea how IRS thinks of this or what law is.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
Here are some sevaras I'm thinking, although again, haven't really looked into this and many here have probably thought about it more than me.

1. CB, points on generic spend, seem akin to a rebate, which means you just paid less for the potatoes you were buying. Hard to see that as taxable.

2. Same with FF miles you get for flying. You just paid less for your flight.

3. IRS Announcement 2002-18 was about business travel. Your employer pays for your flight, and you get miles. If was like scenario 2, the employer would get the miles. So this is more like your employer giving you additional compensation in miles, but IRS was mochel it.

4. Points or miles you get from deposit bank accounts, seem most like interest income. Hard to see it as anything different.

5. MS from buying groups.  If you treat it as having paid less for potatoes, like under scenario 1, then your basis in the potatoes is less, and  you had a profit when you onsold it to the buying club guy.  So seems like either business income or short term gains (with various nafka minas).

6. MS from GCs. This is the weirdest one, because it seems irrational to say that your basis in a $500 GC is only $492. However, I can get past that weirdness, especially considering that you can trade GS below face value all over ebay.  So hagah atzmecha: If I buy a Target GC for $475, and then buy $500 worth of potatoes at Target, do I have income or gains of $25? That seems like an insane position to take.  But that's where the usual theories would seem to take us.  If you have a business, I would think very hard to argue that the money you are making wasn't made. But seems nuts that you have income everytime you buy a GC below face value and then use it.  At some point it may just come down to the optics.

These are just some boich sevaras--no idea how IRS thinks of this or what law is.
I could see number five just passing the lower basis to the end product and being a cheaper price for potatoes. The question would then become how to look at cash out strategies.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
Once you get past a certain threshold (arbitrary) they look at it as you are running a business (MS/GC's). Your net/gross gains are taxable.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
Once you get past a certain threshold (arbitrary) they look at it as you are running a business (MS/GC's). Your net/gross gains are taxable.
How about the extreme couponers who are busy sending in rebates on everything they buy?
Feelings don't care about your facts