Author Topic: With the devaluation of SPG, what card should I standardize on? Details inside.  (Read 1984 times)

Offline ghurty

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
With the devaluation of SPG cards, I am trying to decide which card to standardize on for my personal and business.
Currently my personal cards are the Amex SPG , Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Platinum, and the JP Morgan Reserve. Most of my personal expenses are on the SPG and I spend about $100k per year on it.
For business I have the Amex SPG and the Chase Ink Bold (or whatever they renamed it to). Most of my business purchases (about $900K per year) are on the Amex SPG and about $100K per year are on the Ink Bold.

I will not be able to keep track of using separate cards for different stuff based on bonuses, etc... So I am trying to decide which is the best card for me to standardize on for personal and business.

Thank you

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Risk is opportunity

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Need to think about adding world of hyatt to the convo
Tough to figure out how to value free nights and status in that equation.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PillanSmye

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I will not be able to keep track of using separate cards for different stuff based on bonuses, etc

Why?

Offline ghurty

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Thank you, I will read through that post.
As far as not keeping track, the same reason why I dont always try to get the best deal anymore. I had to make the decision between making extra points/saving money and running a business. And the businesswon out. BH, the revenue of the business is well into 7 digits and my profit margins are extremely healthy.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/chase-quadfecta-least-23-arent-rightbut/
The problem I have is that Chase is not Amex.

Such as:
Item broke after 13 mo, no problem! It was purchased on an Amex!
Want to return an item after the stores limited return window, also no problem! Of course I used Amex!
Etc, etc.

Chase don't have none of them goodies.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The problem I have is that Chase is not Amex.

Such as:
Item broke after 13 mo, no problem! It was purchased on an Amex!
Want to return an item after the stores limited return window, also no problem! Of course I used Amex!
Etc, etc.

Chase don't have none of them goodies.
Diversify for items that might need warranty coverage?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thank you, I will read through that post.
As far as not keeping track, the same reason why I dont always try to get the best deal anymore. I had to make the decision between making extra points/saving money and running a business. And the businesswon out. BH, the revenue of the business is well into 7 digits and my profit margins are extremely healthy.
Why is it a contradiction?
With a couple hours of research you can make a straightforward plan. A good strategy matters more for a successful business than it does for a small spender.

Offline PillanSmye

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Why is it a contradiction?
With a couple hours of research you can make a straightforward plan. A good strategy matters more for a successful business than it does for a small spender.

Exactly.  It would take me 3 minutes to look at a P&L and see where expense categories are.  Then a couple hours to pick the best cards for those categories (and that couple hours is if you didn't know anything, it would probably take one of us about 2 minutes). Especially when the two business cards currently used are both cards that earn on rewards currencies so it's obviously something of value to the OP.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
I won't switch my main spending to chase. To risky for that level of spend. I am guessing I end up focusing on EDP

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Diversify for items that might need warranty coverage?
Not practical. How can I decide beforehand which items might need RP or a Dispute etc?

I sleep well at night knowing that I'm using Amex.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not practical. How can I decide beforehand which items might need RP or a Dispute etc?

I sleep well at night knowing that I'm using Amex.
Aside from expensive electronics and items that are final sale, probably not much.