Author Topic: Starbucks lost its hechsher!?!  (Read 18961 times)

Offline Rivky

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Starbucks lost its hechsher!?!
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT STARBUCKS CORPORATION HAS DECIDED TO END THE EXPANDED STAR-K KOSHER INFORMATION PROGRAM.

CONSUMERS ARE ADVISED THAT EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY THE STAR-K CAN NO LONGER VOUCH FOR THE KASHRUS OF ITEMS PREVIOUSLY LISTED THAT DO NOT BEAR A RELIABLE KOSHER SYMBOL THIS INCLUDES FRAPPUCCINOS AND ALL FLAVORED DRINKS.

UNFLAVORED COFFEE RECOMMENDATION REMAIN THE SAME AS BEFORE.

IN ADDITION, THE KOSHER-FRIENDLY STORE PROGRAM IS NO LONGER UNDER OUR AUSPICES.

OUR WEBPAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO REFLECT THESE CHANGES.

CONSUMERS WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS PROGRAM REINSTATED SHOULD CONTACT STARBUCKS DIRECTLY.

CUSTOMERS MUST CONFIRM KASHRUS OF ADDITIVES TO COFFEE BY THEMSELVES BY CHECKING FOR RELIABLE KOSHER SYMBOLS.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Starbucks lost its hechsher!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »
To clarify. Starbucks never had a hechsher. The few things and few Baltimore store that the star K vouched for, they no longer do.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
https://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=51456&alias=starbucks-mixes-dairy-equipment
looks like they were cheating before anyway - "We discovered that labeling our pitchers did not eliminate or reduce this risk."

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 12:12:45 PM »
If one is fine with Chalav Stam or Chalav Stam DE, then nothing changed. For people who won't use C"S equipment, then now any dish that touches milk might need further investigation.

Getting a cold brew, or an iced Espresso/latte drink should be fine still, as those items are either used cold/washed separately.  Star-K recommended asking them to make the espresso in the paper cup. Hot plain espresso/Americano should be fine as well, as they only touch the espresso machines which aren't washed with trief.

Likewise, all other drinks that are hot have the same potential issues related to the equipment wash as they did before.

I think the only big thing that changed is the Star-K is no longer vouching for stores that they deemed "kosher friendly" regarding washing, or the actual kasharus on the syrups etc. But may of the syrups have visable OUs so shouldn't be a problem.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »
I always felt this was a bit misleading. Kosher organizations were giving mediocre advice like "have them heat to kids temp" which only happens half the time. I have a close friend who works at Starbucks, and can attest to the fact that if they make a mistake, and you won't know the difference, the are rarely going to correct it. In addition, I've heard of  people ordering the menu at these places simply because they've heard something or another from the *K or CRC.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »
I always felt this was a bit misleading. Kosher organizations were giving mediocre advice like "have them heat to kids temp" which only happens half the time. I have a close friend who works at Starbucks, and can attest to the fact that if they make a mistake, and you won't know the difference, the are rarely going to correct it. In addition, I've heard of  people ordering the menu at these places simply because they've heard something or another from the *K or CRC.

Same goes for all the "kosher" carvels, tcby, haagen dazs, etc....
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
Also, I'm skeptical of the fact that Starbucks plain brewed or iced coffee could ever be a problem. There has been psak out there for decades that hot coffee is fine anywhere, and starbucks isn't the first coffee shop to also serve trief. Any diner, cafeteria, Dunkin, 7-11, rest stops etc. have been serving bacon sandwiches for years and nobody said a word.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »
Also, I'm skeptical of the fact that Starbucks plain brewed or iced coffee could ever be a problem. There has been psak out there for decades that hot coffee is fine anywhere, and starbucks isn't the first coffee shop to also serve trief. Any diner, cafeteria, Dunkin, 7-11, rest stops etc. have been serving bacon sandwiches for years and nobody said a word.

The Star-K seems to say in this article, coffee in paper cups is always fine. They even have a Hava Amina that you can buy from McDonalds, which is rejected due to Maris Ayin, not kasharus concerns!

https://www.star-k.org/articles/articles/keeping-kosher/beverages/1142/knowing-your-beans-the-kashrus-of-coffee/

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
I don't think anything was specifically labeled a problem, thing just weren't listed as kosher. There are plenty of kosher items out there without a hechsher.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
I don't think anything was specifically labeled a problem, thing just weren't listed as kosher. There are plenty of kosher items out there without a hechsher.
The Star K directly said that hot coffee is problematic in stores that serve hot trief.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 05:20:16 PM »

I think the only big thing that changed is the Star-K is no longer vouching for stores that they deemed "kosher friendly" regarding washing, or the actual kasharus on the syrups etc. But may of the syrups have visable OUs so shouldn't be a problem.

And Frappuccino

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »
The Star K directly said that hot coffee is problematic in stores that serve hot trief.
Correct, I forgot about that. I believe that was because all the pots and equipment used for coffee were washed together with the knives and equipment used for treif, at a problematic temperature.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »
Correct, I forgot about that. I believe that was because all the pots and equipment used for coffee were washed together with the knives and equipment used for treif, at a problematic temperature.
Be that as it may, that is undoubtedly a concern at many stores, yet the star K has a position that hot coffee at all those other places is fine. So I'm thinking there are politics involved with starbucks.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 05:45:16 PM »

Be that as it may, that is undoubtedly a concern at many stores, yet the star K has a position that hot coffee at all those other places is fine. So I'm thinking there are politics involved with starbucks.

I'd assume the way the non kosher food is prepared at other places is different than Starbucks. I do agree though, that kashrus organization often pick and choose where to implement these "stringencies" or whatever you want to call it. Another thought, I feel people got a lot more comfortable with starbuck than they have with any other non kosher place. Just my opinion though.

Offline mendy from lakewood

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
Will I be able to get SB GC's on the cheap now?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
Will I be able to get SB GC's on the cheap now?
Lol. Always.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »

I'd assume the way the non kosher food is prepared at other places is different than Starbucks. I do agree though, that kashrus organization often pick and choose where to implement these "stringencies" or whatever you want to call it. Another thought, I feel people got a lot more comfortable with starbuck than they have with any other non kosher place. Just my opinion though.
all the kashrus orginazations have a hard time with starbucks. cynical view is they all want the business, practical view is that there's a lot going on there, quickly, and no one wants to say it's ok under those conditions.