Author Topic: Mochjas TLV TR Summer 2018  (Read 9838 times)

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Mochjas TLV TR Summer 2018
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »
Introduction:

I was actually not planning on going to TLV for my annual Summer trip, but I was playing around with EF and saw 4 seats in X on the LY dreamliner for the exact date that I was supposed to be leaving. I could not pass this opportunity up and did an audible and decided to take my family of 5 (one infant under 2 so 4 seats) to Israel for a week. I was terrified to fly LY but I heard good things about the new plane and decided to give it a go.

This turned out to be a great decision as we had an amazing time!

Cost was 78K QF X 4 plus $48

We were arriving on a Tuesday evening at about 6 PM.

I booked the first 2 nights at the Ritz in Herzliya. I used 16.6K SPG from my plat account for the first night and my wifes final certificate for the second night. Plan was to stay here until Thursday afternoon and head to Jerusalem for Shabbat.

I booked the WA Jerusalem for 3 nights using 2 weekend certificates and 80K points.

Sunday Morning we headed to the Setai Sea of Galilee and made a bunch of stops on the way there and on the way back. Since all my other hotels were "free" I decided to bite the bullet and pay Cash although more than half was refunded with my CSR credit (wanted to book with CSR points but was not able to)

I still did not have a hotel for my final night which was monday night and did not end up booking it until Saturday night.

We flew home on Tuesday morning with LH J. Booked using M & M They charged 52K per adult and 39K per child (0 miles for the infant) and about $1150 YQ and taxes in total.

Offline Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
Re: Mochjas TLV TR Summer 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
Great start
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
Part 1: Flight

We took a midnight flight thinking that we would sleep most of the flight and get there in the evening, have dinner and sleep again for the night to reduce jet-lag. This worked perfectly and the kids were ready to go from Day 1 on the ground.

Unfortunately 2 weeks before the flight LY switched my flight to a 772 and that really pissed me off as I really wanted to try the dreamliner. But what can I do, my prayers that they should switch it back were not answered. If I wasnt booked through QF, Elal might have been able to swich me to the 9 PM out of EWR earlier that day which was a dreamliner, but since the ticket was booked through QF there was nothing they could do.

We arrived at the airport (JFK) Check in was smooth and easy and we headed straight to the King David lounge. It was pretty decent for LY. We stayed for about 45 minutes and headed to the gate. (Not sure about the hechsher of the open items but we already had dinner and only had drinks and some closed snacks)

The 772 is a 2-3-2 configuration. We were originally in 2 blocks of 2 one behind the other but for some reason LY switched us to the first row (3 seats in the middle) and one aisle seat

Sorry I dont have a great picture of how it is when it is a bed, but according to seatguru this is angle-flat, to me it seemed pretty flat though I am not an expert to know the difference.

I have to say I went into this with really low expectations, but the seat was very comfortable and I was impressed (that LY was this good in J) I was really expecting a horrid experience but it was pretty good. The service was good as well. I did not receive attitude at all.

My only complaint was that they just allow people to roam free between the cabins. I was in middle of sleeping and my seatmates wife rolled in from Y and they started sharing food over me while I was sleeping.

Other than that it was a good flight. We all slept including the kids and arrived refreshed eager to start our vacation.

There were apparently 2 meals. ( Dinner in the beginning which I slept through and did not know about until 2.5 hours before landing when I asked for some milk and they said that they were still doing dinner) Who eats dinner at 1 AM?? Followed by breakfast right before landing at 6 PM (weird as well)

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
Day 1 Tuesday- Arrival to hotel and Dinner

We took a taxi to the Ritz once we arrived: He charged me 400 shekel (it was an SUV), I was later told that I was ripped off and the correct price should be 220 shekel for a car as I do not need an SUV as they can put luggage on the roof! You live and learn!

Lobby

Lobby

Anyway I checked in and was advised that due to my Platinum status we were upgraded to an executive suite! YAY! They did not make a Fuss that my reservation was for 2 adults and I showed up with 3 young kids. They also informed that due to being Plat we get 25% off of the breakfast cost. They also combined my 2 reservations and said we could keep the room for 2 nights.

Couch opens to a bed

We were starving so we walked right out of the ritz and found lechem basar. Here is the food, I have no clue how much it costed. Food was good. Service was slow. We went back to the hotel, showered the kids and went to sleep. Day 1 in the books!

Kids meal: Schnitzel & fries

Kids meal: Burger & fries

Filet Steak- Very good

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
Day 2: Wednesday

The plan today was to relax and go to the pool/ beach

We did just that. Luckily my kids who never wake up late woke up late. giving my wife and i time to pray and hit up the gym.

We went down to breakfast once the kids got up. Using my research and people that I trust I was told that I could have the breakfast in the Ritz. Was also told to stay away from the meat usually. But ask your LOR dont base your decisions on me.

Breakfast was fantastic. They have an egg station, a pancake station (no waffles) lots of pastries and salads, breads and cheeses. unfortunately I never got a complete set of pictures but I will share what I have. It was nice of the to only charge me and my wife for the breakfast and not the kids. That saved us a bunch.

We then headed to the pool. pool is on the roof and the water was warm. The kids had a blast. They even have a kiddie pool to the side.

After a while the kids got hungry so we went down to the dairy restaurant in the lobby to get them lunch.

After lunch it was time to hit the beach. There is a restaurant that has chairs so we sat and bought drinks which was convenient and we did not need to shlep anything with us just the beach toys we got at the mall next door to the Ritz. The neach is a 5 minute walk to the ritz

We got back, showered and headed to Papagaio for Dinner. It was amazing experience and the food was great. You get all you can eat for 209 shekel per adult. They fill the table with salads and sides and keep bringing meats to the table.

Some pictures:

This was a relaxing day and a great way to start our trip!

We thought the day was over. However, a little after I fell asleep, my wife wakes me up and says do you smell the gas? I say no, leave me alone and roll over and go back to sleep. Of course she doesn't let that slide and makes me call the front desk. I call them and they say that they are aware of it, and its not an issue and they are getting rid of it. I say no problem and go back to sleep.

I don't know how much longer later my wife wakes me up again. You dont hear the fire alarm?? (I am a deep sleeper) Anyway its telling us to evacuate. We woke up the kids and went to the lobby. Anyway it was a mess, lots of people in the lobby (but not everyone) Only one poor lady at the front desk who doesn't even know what to do. We must have been down for 2 hours. Room service was passing out free food but who eats at 2 AM? (plus we were still meated)! It was finally over but my towers elevators were down and we had to take the other towers elevators, cross the hall and take steps down one flight. We finally got back to bed at like 4:30. The day was finally over!

(To skip ahead at checkout we were proactively comped that night (so certificate went back into my wifes account) plus breakfast was waved for 2 days. Very nice gesture. I had to push them a little more and have them confirm the same room type for that next stay which they did without hesitation. I now knew where we would be spending the last night of our trip)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
Wow amazing!!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
Awesome! Really enjoying the read.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 11:39:46 PM »
2am = 7pm EST time. Great deal  :P

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 12:02:02 AM »
Beautiful TR, well written.
Enjoyed reading it, written to understand and broken down to bits and pieces, as well beautiful pics, sharp,clear and detailed.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 12:30:13 AM »
Well written.

Just to note according to the Masgich the lot of cheeses at the breakfast Bar are Cholov Stam
Again ask the Masgich and your LOR
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 01:31:19 AM »
Thanks, enjoyed reading your TR.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 06:34:43 AM »
Day 3: Thursday

Due to the chaos the night before, we all woke up very late. It was 10:00 and the kids were still sleeping. My wife and I were ready and breakfast was closing at 10:30 so we woke up the kids and went down.

Breakfast was the same and was great again.

Plan for today was to swim until 2, shower the kids and head to Jerusalem.

The kids did not want to leave the pool and after having a light lunch of fruit, french fries and bread (no dairy by the pool) we dragged them out.

They gave us 4 PM late checkout without any issues (probably due to the disaster the night before).

At this point the elevators were still not working and the bellman literally had to carry my luggage up to the 9th floor and go to the other tower to bring them down. It took a really long time to get out.

We headed to Jerusalem and due to traffic it took us close to 2 hours. Now i was getting better at taxis and it cost only 300 shekel for an SUV.

We finally arrived at the famous WAJ. First of all I have to say that reception to the hotel is great! They greeted us nicely, offered us cold water and quickly emptied the Taxi.

I am a diamond member with Hilton and was hoping for a decent upgrade. I was pre-upgraded in the app to a King deluxe with a balcony so I figured that it wouldn't be too hard to get upgraded further. Boy was I wrong. The check in agent who didn't seem too competent tells me I see you are booked in a superior room. I say yes any chance I can get a diamond upgrade? He says let me check and does some BS looking (as I already know from the app that I was blocked in a King deluxe with a balcony) he says yes I can give you a king deluxe with a balcony, I say oh wow, any chance you can do something better as I have my kids with me. He tells me let me check with my manager.

He comes back and says Ok I can give you a JR suite but you need to pay $250 a night. I tell him you're nuts ( I didn't actually say that I was just thinking it) I'll just stick with my original room, maybe for the King David suite I would pay that much. Now he says, your reservation was for 1, you only get 1 free companion I am going to have to charge you $130 a night per kid anyway so this is a better deal. I tell him these kids are young I am not booking them a separate room and I am trying to bargain him down to $100 a night extra but he wont budge. The manager claims it is really supposed to be $300 but I will honor the mistake that the agent made for $250. I tell him shouldn't a JR suite be included in the Diamond upgrades and he tells me  they only give a 2 category upgrade. Anyway I decided I would just book another room and go for connecting rooms instead of paying $250 a night for a JR suite. He goes to look at my reservation and it turns out he knows my family and they have booked tons of rooms at the WAJ and he says Ok I will give you the JR suite for $100 a night. Now I started pushing to get it for free but that was a no go.

I was exhausted after all this back and forth so I gave up! Spoiler alert I was not charged for the upgrade at checkout!

We got to the room and I already had a sour taste in my mind. I hate being nickel and dimed for an upgrade. I totally get that they wont upgrade if its not available, but if its there it is just poor taste in my mind. I have gotten far better upgrades for free. Again i am not the entitled type but after speaking to a bunch of people who stayed here and said that they never had issues it really sat wrong with me that I had to go through this. / end rant

Anyway the room was large and had a pullout couch so it was great! I was definitely not amazed though and would have killed myself if I had to pay $250 a night extra for this room. but it would serve the purpose for our 3 nights.

It was late and we had the Kotel Tunnel Tours scheduled for 8:40 PM so we ran down to the restaurant to grab a quick meat Dinner. Food was Ok and not great at all. Again I was told that it was OK to eat anything here, but please do not rely on me. We tried to eat as quickly as possible and at 8:20 we were outside looking for a taxi.

Mushroom appetizer

Kids Meal

Regular Burger NOT kids meal

Salmon

Apparently they were having something called the festival of lights and the taxi driver was not willing to take us as the streets were closed. We had to walk and there was a ton of traffic and we did not make it until 9:15. But it was scenic and we got to see the lights! This was the last night of the festival so great timing!

I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at here but it looks pretty cool

Luckily they let us catch up to our tour guide so we saw everything and only had to listen to him babble for the last 15 minutes. based on the last 15 minutes we were happy that we came late!

it took a while to get back to the hotel, we finally did and went to sleep. We had to wake up early the next morning as it was our only full (non-Shabbat) day in Jerusalem and we wanted to do as much as possible.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:40:15 AM by mochjas »

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 06:47:58 AM »
Great start
Thanks
Thanks, enjoyed reading your TR.
Glad you enjoyed its not over yet!
Well written.

Just to note according to the Masgich the lot of cheeses at the breakfast Bar are Cholov Stam
Again ask the Masgich and your LOR
I was not told that but glad I didnt eat any of the cheeses

Beautiful TR, well written.
Enjoyed reading it, written to understand and broken down to bits and pieces, as well beautiful pics, sharp,clear and detailed.

Thanks

2am = 7pm EST time. Great deal  :P
I guess... All I wanted to do was go back to sleep honestly
Awesome! Really enjoying the read.
Glad you are enjoying these are not easy to write...
Wow amazing!!
Thanks hopefully we can see one from you soon

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 07:09:02 AM »
ThanksGlad you enjoyed its not over yet!I was not told that but glad I didnt eat any of the cheeses
Thanks
I guess... All I wanted to do was go back to sleep honestly Glad you are enjoying these are not easy to write...Thanks hopefully we can see one from you soon

Any chance there is a Mochjas Jerusalem and Setai TR in the works?

:-)

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
Any chance there is a Mochjas Jerusalem and Setai TR in the works?

:-)
yes Jerusalem was started already

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 07:19:16 AM »
Great start of TR.

Bummer not to get 787 though you made best of it.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 04:05:20 PM »
Day 4- Friday

The plan today was to get in as much of the Jerusalem sites as possible. We wanted to start the day early as everything shuts down early in Jerusalem on Friday.

First order of Business: Taste the supposedly amazing WAJ breakfast. While there was a lot of food, I have to say this breakfast was a let down for me. Maybe it was because of all the million posts from Dan about how great the breakfast is, that I went in with really high expectations, but I didn’t get the hype personally.

I am not a fan of most of their hot dishes. The pastries were limited but good. The pancakes and waffles that were ready made were soggy. Luckily when we got there, there were none left and our waiter brought us a fresh plate of each. Which were good. Overall I wasn’t impressed.  But at least they did not give me an issue with bringing my kids to the breakfast.

After breakfast I headed to the local cemetery to visit relatives.

Next we went to Kever Rachel.

We followed that by heading to mini- Israel which I was told was great for kids. Unfortunately no one told me that it is outdoors and it was a really hot day so that was not so pleasant.  We skimmed through most of the exhibits and left.

Next stop was Machane Yehuda. We bought some candy for the kids and looked around.

For lunch we found a Mehadrin Pizza store called pizza bomba. The kids ate it and were happy.

Our last stop was Geula where we did some shopping and got the kids Ice cream.

It was now 4 PM so time to go to the hotel to get ready for Shabbat.

Candle lighting in Israel is usually 40 minutes or so before sunset. For some reason the Waldorf doesn’t follow and there Minyan started 18 minutes before. I wanted Sephardic prayers either way so we went around the corner to the nearest Sephardic Synagogue. They took forever and we ended up finishing way after the WAJ minyan.

I normally wouldn’t care but my wife and kids were starving.

Anyway we finally sat down for Dinner. They provide house wine (I believe this is the wine they give in the room as well) for free. They start you off with lots of Challa (Thank Gd as I filled up on that) and a bunch of salads. You then get a choice of 1 / 4 appetizers. There is a fish one, a duck one, a raw beef one and a vegetable one. We got all except the duck and they were pretty good.

There are 2 soups to choose from as well.

You then get a choice of a main. We all chose the beef one. I did not love it. It was a soft fatty meat. It was edible but not worth the price of admission. They brought fruit and a piece of cake for dessert.

Another late night for the kids and we all passed out once we hit the bed. Overall another enjoyable day!

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Day 5 Shabbat:

As of now the plan was still to eat a late breakfast and have that count for lunch. I decided to pray at 7 AM by the kotel to be back by 9:30 and have a late breakfast as breakfast ends by 11:00

So I did just that and got back to the room surprised to see everyone sleeping. That never happens! Anyway they get ready by 10 and we have our breakfast. As it is Shabbat the breakfast options were more limited than during the week. but they had Challa, extra salads and extra dips to make up.

Shortly after I realized that there was no way this meal was lasting us through the end of the day. So I asked them to give me a table for lunch at 2:30 and they said no problem.

After breakfast we took the kids to the park that is a 10 minute walk from the Waldorf. We got back at 1, hung out in the room a bit and went down to lunch at 2:15. This was a great decision. Lunch was buffet style.

There were lots of salads and dips to start with. A bunch of mains and a carving station with corned beef and ribs. This was the best meal we had at WAJ and all agreed that it was much better than the dinner. They had a great dessert table as well.

We took another short nap after lunch and then headed to the Kotel for Mincha. We spent a good hour there and with the walking it was already 7:00 when we got back.

the dairy restaurant was open with a cold menu so we decided to feed the kids now so we can put them to sleep before Shabbat finishes as we ussually do at home on long Shabbats.

They made us cream cheese sandwiches and egg sandwiches which came with salad and the kids enjoyed it. It took longer that expected and just as we finished feeding them it was time to pray and Shabbat was over.

Havdala is done in the lobby they set up a bunch of places.   

For Dinner I decided to try Sheyan Chinese and it was great I got the dumpling and the Spicy beef and they were both really good. My wife was not interested in having meat as she wanted to try an aroma coffee which she couldnt get on Friday since they closed so early. So I got her one and she got a Caesar Salad from room service. She really liked both.

We had to get up early again the next morning as we were headed to Upper Galilee about a 3 hour drive away with stops along the way. So we went to sleep

Another end to another terrific day!

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 06:07:05 PM »
Day 4- Friday

Anyway we finally sat down for Dinner. They provide house wine (I believe this is the wine they give in the room as well) for free. They start you off with lots of Challa (Thank Gd as I filled up on that) and a bunch of salads. You then get a choice of 1 / 4 appetizers. There is a fish one, a duck one, a raw beef one and a vegetable one. We got all except the duck and they were pretty good.

There are 2 soups to choose from as well.

You then get a choice of a main. We all chose the beef one. I did not love it. It was a soft fatty meat. It was edible but not worth the price of admission. They brought fruit and a piece of cake for dessert.

Another late night for the kids and we all passed out once we hit the bed. Overall another enjoyable day!

Excellent TR so far!! really, really enjoy reading this

Are you allowed to ask for more appetizers or mains. Or is it really 1 per person?

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 06:10:56 PM »
Excellent TR so far!! really, really enjoy reading this

Are you allowed to ask for more appetizers or mains. Or is it really 1 per person?
They said 1 per person but you can probably get more if you want. It would probably depend on your server.

I forgot to add that they had for the kids, hot dogs and schnitzel for the kids meal and the kids really liked it.

My kids wanted more hot dogs and they were happy to give them.